FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6,046 of 6,777
Cheers I guess I was hoping/assuming the E17's ability to expressly switch off charging by USB would mean the E17's battery would fully power its DAC and USB sections with a negligible or nil load on the host phone's USB bus. Alas seems not the case, at least with the S4/E17 combo.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #6,047 of 6,777
Quote:
Guys I tried connecting it to my PS3 via Optical cable but there is no sound. I configured my PS3 to use Optical Digital but there is still no sound.

Did you get this worked out? I haven't ever had problems running it from my PS3 slim via optical. Are you sending video over hdmi? If you need me to I can hook it up again and look through all my settings.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #6,048 of 6,777
i tried using my e17 with my HD cable TV box and i am getting no sound. i tried both optical and coax. any ideas?

also regarding bypassing apple DACs. i got the new Pro-ject digital S dock box and it worjs really well. got mine brand new for $250 which is the cheapest other than the Pure i20 as far as i know.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #6,050 of 6,777
Just ordered this for my Macbook Pro + M50's. Quick questions. Should I use USB or Optical? and can I use this to listen to my TV with headphones? 

Most people using MBP here prefer using it with optical.
If your TV has optical out or coax out then yes. Or analog out but not as 'ideal'.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #6,051 of 6,777
What should I set my Macbook Pro's volume to when using this? I just got it and it's extremely crackly when changing volume through the computer and I can't listen to it. Trying to figure it all out.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #6,053 of 6,777
Perfect thanks. I noticed the crackling was only when changing volume so I set it to 100% and left it alone and it's perfect. Using it as a DAC + pre-amp to a tube amp and it's glorious.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #6,054 of 6,777
Quote:
Perfect thanks. I noticed the crackling was only when changing volume so I set it to 100% and left it alone and it's perfect. Using it as a DAC + pre-amp to a tube amp and it's glorious.

100% is recommended for computer volumes as anything below it will cut 'bits' out of the signal. 24 bits with a bit cut out for most recordings is fine as its meant for some leg room but 16bits with some cuts may directly interfer with the music

HOWEVER, Windows and Mac auto upconverts the bit depth to 32bit floating point etc etc to combat this problem. But how well it works on the fly and in terms of purity is something else to be asked.

Just keep it at 100% volume on computer with all applications and use the amp in the E17 to change the volume. You don't need amps to be kept at 100%, just the 'DAC' of the thing you are using.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,055 of 6,777
Quote:
Most people using MBP here prefer using it with optical.

I would appreciate it if someone that is using optical post some close up pics of the cable and the connections?  Thank you in advance.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #6,056 of 6,777
I would appreciate it if someone that is using optical post some close up pics of the cable and the connections?  Thank you in advance.

Here are the cables I use, the big one stays connected to my desktop all the time and the thin one I use with my MacBook C2D.
The cables comes default with the square optical end, you can get the adapters for the MacBook's headphone / optical jack since only one comes with the E17.
Or you can order cables with the TRS adapter molded into the end of it permanently.

The Large Cable.
The Small Cable.

The Mini Adapter.

Or you can just get one already with mini on both ends.

:beerchug:

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #6,057 of 6,777
Troll Dragon, thanks for posting the pics. can I ask another favour? would it be possible for you to show me where and how the cables plug into your MB and you E17? I saw some optic cables at a local store bit I was afraid to buy them because I didn't know how they connect and where. I do have one set of the adaptor from the E17 package. Thanks again.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #6,058 of 6,777
Quote:
Troll Dragon, thanks for posting the pics. can I ask another favour? would it be possible for you to show me where and how the cables plug into your MB and you E17? I saw some optic cables at a local store bit I was afraid to buy them because I didn't know how they connect and where. I do have one set of the adaptor from the E17 package. Thanks again.

I don't have a MPB so I can't help you there.
But by memory of pictures Bowei and Co. posted here of MBPs, you first plug the optical cable (with optical-mini plug) into the 3.5mm headphone jack of the MBP. If you see red light coming out of it normally, it's because it can double as optical output.

Likewise, you plug an optical mini into the SPDIF jack on the E17. Forgot if it's actually called the SPDIF plug but basically there's three 3.5mm ish sized jacks on the E17:
1) Headphone out (upper right)
2) AUX IN (lower right)
3) SPDIF (upper left)

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #6,059 of 6,777
Kalbee, thanks! Your description works for me. I know all about the SPDIF IN because every once in a while I mistakenly plug my headphone jack into it. lol

The Optical wire that I saw at the local store had the squarish connectors at both ends, so based on that, I will need to get a second adaptor in addition to the one that came with the E17. Otherwise, I will need to find a cable the same as Troll Dragon's small cable. What would be the name of that kind of cable?

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #6,060 of 6,777
Quote:
Kalbee, thanks! Your description works for me. I know all about the SPDIF IN because every once in a while I mistakenly plug my headphone jack into it. lol

The Optical wire that I saw at the local store had the squarish connectors at both ends, so based on that, I will need to get a second adaptor in addition to the one that came with the E17. Otherwise, I will need to find a cable the same as Troll Dragon's small cable. What would be the name of that kind of cable?

Exactly.
The name of that cable is still going to be an optical cable but with optical mini plugs. I think that's the name... it should otherwise work enough as a name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back