FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6,031 of 6,777
No. The only way to bypass the DAC of Apple devices is with the $500+ CLAS, HPP1, Vmoda Verza, Sony blah blah etc etc

Why? These companies paid apple a LOT of money to get the lisence to allow for them to get the 'code' to bypass the iPod's own DAC. You need a special device for this.

The prices on these things have dropped a lot; let's stop quoting them at $500 :b

James Fiio said in the Fiio E18 thread that apparently E17 works on 4.2.x (therefore Galaxy S4), and E07K on 4.1.x (SIII, Note II, and others). Basically, don't update if you have the second one...

In my case with the E07K, it works in my Note, but not in my Nexus 10 (4.2.1), so it follows the rule pretty well. It might be DAC related.

I'm curious to see what happens with 4.3.

Dude... Thanks for the info! Great to know

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #6,036 of 6,777
I finally decided to buy Fiio E17 after hesitating for like 4 days every morning ><

As soon as I hooked it up with my HD 598, I expected hissing but there were none. Of course I pumped the bass to 10 since that it what I'm interested with and WOW! I swear I expected to hear "muddy" bass but it was a pure bass increase.

I didn't really notice any sound quality improvement over my PC onboard soundcard. Now I just need to get a digital cable to try it out on PS3. Might be possible with PS Vita with a USB Female to Mini USB 5pin adapter.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #6,037 of 6,777
Is it bad if I put the e17 on high gain with easy to drive headphones such as my a900x? I find when on the 12db high gain setting, it tightens the bass up a bit.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #6,038 of 6,777
Is it bad if I put the e17 on high gain with easy to drive headphones such as my a900x? I find when on the 12db high gain setting, it tightens the bass up a bit.
What ever works for you is all good! The gain is an input not an output, but it does affect the level of output.

You'll do no harm.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,039 of 6,777
Nope, it's not a bad idea at all. if it sound better with high gain and lower volume, than use it there.
Quote:

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,042 of 6,777
My E17 has been assigned to DAC only duty now. My E17, along with the L7 line out dock, is now being used to feed a vintage Pioneer SX-750 stereo receiver. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,043 of 6,777
Quote:
My E17 has been assigned to DAC only duty now. My E17, along with the L7 line out dock, is now being used to feed a vintage Pioneer SX-750 stereo receiver. 

Man, this thing is beautiful, probably sound as good.  
eek.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #6,044 of 6,777
Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked and answered before in the 400 pages of this thread but a bit of skimming and keyword searching drew a blank...

Just got a second hand Fiio E17 which I'm using connected to my galaxy S4 via USB OTG cable. Sound is much improved which is great. The issue is the S4 battery is draining at what is subjectively 1.5-2x the normal rate - and this is with USB charging turned off on the E17. Other settings: gain set to zero, vol at 18, tone settings all flat. 

All I have as a benchmark comparative is my old Galaxy S3 with a Headroom total Bithead DAC via USB OTG, which from memory hardly affected battery drain - perhaps a 10% increase if that.

So this typical of most portable USB DACs or if not then a known quirk/issue with the E17 and/or phone specific? 

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #6,045 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked and answered before in the 400 pages of this thread but a bit of skimming and keyword searching drew a blank...

Just got a second hand Fiio E17 which I'm using connected to my galaxy S4 via USB OTG cable. Sound is much improved which is great. The issue is the S4 battery is draining at what is subjectively 1.5-2x the normal rate - and this is with USB charging turned off on the E17. Other settings: gain set to zero, vol at 18, tone settings all flat. 

All I have as a benchmark comparative is my old Galaxy S3 with a Headroom total Bithead DAC via USB OTG, which from memory hardly affected battery drain - perhaps a 10% increase if that.

So this typical of most portable USB DACs or if not then a known quirk/issue with the E17 and/or phone specific? 

USB power draw differs from device to device. Is really just about all I can tell you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back