FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5,866 of 6,777
for a short time i have bin thinking "should i just go for the iCAN

Here is what i like about the FiiO E17.
i read a FiiO E7 objective review complete with in depth graphs giving me a good picture how the device performs.
So that's a good one..

The iCAN is WAY WAY more expensive..and one is bound to a wall outlet ..
But i REALY like the nice features one has on the ICAN adding bass and a cross feed like switch..
Very cool..
Off course I'm letting the hype of it all take me for a ride hahaha.
Sinds i have not seen a  objective impartial review.

Just googling this will get you to the place where i made my conclusion:
" objective review FiiO E7 USB DAC & Amp "

Well i don't now..the problem is that one could like an amp or the other but without listening to more than one amp one could do no comparison.
Furthermore a blind testing is needed so that one could just listen to the music without letting the hardware influence you..
Lot's of people i talk to seem to be more about the hardware than the actual enjoying of the music.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5,867 of 6,777
I have a Colorfly C3 which has a very low output, great for IEM's but if you want to listen with higher impedance headphones there is not enough power to drive them properly. This is where the E17 comes into play, a little bass and treble control with a higher output, means the C3 is now useable with anything. I also have an E11 for when I don't feel like undocking the E17 which is my PC's DAC. The E11 does a great job for it's price as well, I know there are many here who dislike it. Some of us cannot justify $300+ portable amplifiers, they would be nice to have but too many other things require a priority over toys... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,868 of 6,777
Quote:
I mean Ill just post here to say I love mine.  

This is my first DAC and greatly augments my listening exprence.

Pretty powerful equelizer aswell.  Its fun to plug this into an auxilary cord in a car play the music then start cranking up the EQ to freak out your friends

My first DAC as well! I actually joined here and bought it off the marketplace in the same day. I have to try the car AUX thing- thanks for the idea. This place seems awesome so far, but it's immediately apparent that I'm in wayyyyyy over my head here; It looks like I have a lot to upgrade/learn. Anyway, I have Audio-Technica ATH Pro 700 MKII headphones so I bought the E17 to boost the bass because I've been aiming for crazy bass this whole time, but it hasn't changed my listening too much just yet. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or I should've opted for something else. Oh well, looks like I have a lot of reading/searching to do!

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,869 of 6,777
I heard hiss through E17 on my Sennheiser Momentum, turned out I had wireless mouse receiver on a USB port next to the E17 USB port.

Unplugged the wireless mouse receiver and hiss was gone.

Hope this help with those who had the same problem.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #5,872 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi ClieOS,

Does this amp suitable for the JH16 Pro which is sensitive and have low impedance? Did you ever tried it with CIEMS before? Or do you know anynoe who tried it before?

The few issues with amp pairing with CIEM are: (1) output impedance, (2) hiss, (3) volume imbalance and (4) gain.

High output impedance might cause coloration, but E17 is less than 1 ohm and perfectly fine with CIEM.
Too much a hiss can be heard by sensitive CIEM, but E17 is very low in hiss.
Volume imbalance is a problem for normal volume pot. E17 has digital volume control so this isn't an issue.
Too high a gain makes CIEM too loud too fast, but E17 has adjustable gain so it should be fine as well.

Of course, I don't have a JH16 Pro to test it but I don't see how or why E17 can be used with CIEM. I do have very sensitive IEM (including CIEM) and they are all fine with E17.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5,873 of 6,777
The few issues with amp pairing with CIEM are: (1) output impedance, (2) hiss, (3) volume imbalance and (4) gain.

High output impedance might cause coloration, but E17 is less than 1 ohm and perfectly fine with CIEM.
Too much a hiss can be heard by sensitive CIEM, but E17 is very low in hiss.
Volume imbalance is a problem for normal volume pot. E17 has digital volume control so this isn't an issue.
Too high a gain makes CIEM too loud too fast, but E17 has adjustable gain so it should be fine as well.

Of course, I don't have a JH16 Pro to test it but I don't see how or why E17 can be used with CIEM. I do have very sensitive IEM (including CIEM) and they are all fine with E17.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #5,875 of 6,777
My E17's USB port is dead and I would like to use cooaxial/spdif port. But my desktop's soundcard has optical output

Could anyone in this thread please let me know how to connect optical to spdif (E17's 3.5mm port)?

Is there any cable which has 3.5mm spdif on one side and optical tip on the other side?

Appreciate your response

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5,876 of 6,777
Agreed with ClieOS. I use my JH16 Pro with my original E17 (first few batches delivered when the E17 first came out) with no issue.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,877 of 6,777
Quote:
What about sound quality,are they good? And Fiio X,what's your opinions?

I think its SQ is excellent for the price, but not -be-all-end-all of course. If by 'X', you means X3 - the review is here.

Quote:
My E17's USB port is dead and I would like to use cooaxial/spdif port. But my desktop's soundcard has optical output

Could anyone in this thread please let me know how to connect optical to spdif (E17's 3.5mm port)?

Is there any cable which has 3.5mm spdif on one side and optical tip on the other side?

Appreciate your response

S/PDIF comes in two forms: coaxial and toslink (optical). E17 accepts both. Since your PC only output optical / toslink, I'll suggest you get a short toslink cable instead.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5,878 of 6,777
Quote:

Appreciate your response

Any one of these here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

If you still have the Toslink Mini adapter your E17 came with the you could use any of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022904

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #5,879 of 6,777
Quote:
Any one of these here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

If you still have the Toslink Mini adapter your E17 came with the you could use any of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022904

But the site says 3.5mm connected with 5 mm outside diameter. Is 5 mm mandatory?

Because I have chosen another product as only this is available in India

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-TOSLINK-mini-Toslink-FIBER-OPTIC-CABLE/dp/B00006LVF3

Can you please tell me if this will be compatible?

Thanks

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,880 of 6,777
Also I'm still thinking if I could resolve USB driver issue with E17 myself before buying this cable

I tried with different machines, different cables, different OS. Facing same problem in all the machines

When I connect E17 to the machine, its not getting detected. In Device manager it shows 'USB Composite Device' with yellow exclamatory mark and in Device Status it says 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'

Can any techie help me in resolving this issue? Since this is a USB Class 1 driver I can't update the driver but there should be some way where we can fix driver issue rather sending E17 to manufacturer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back