FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,461 of 6,777
I've owned the Fiio E17 for aprox. 5 months. Running 100% of the time through USB.
On my Denon 5000's i've found it delivers very well. Myself and others have compared it against MUCH more expensive amp/dac combos and the FIIO can hold it's own. It's not as bright as say a Yulong or Schiit but to me provides a more balanced sound. The built in EQ is great, I know this is sometimes looked down upon in the audiophile arena but a few small tweaks can really allow you to customize the sound to your specific liking, without degrading the overall sound quality.
In terms of a portable amp/dac this thing kicks ass, compared against the headroom bithead and it blew it away.
Obviously harder to drive headphones are where the FIIO E17 starts to struggle, but my denon's love this little guy!

Nice review. I agree - great lil' amp.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,462 of 6,777
Excuse me if this has been answered earlier - I've tried looking for answers but seem to be finding different ones.

Which cable should be used to connect a HTC One X (or Samsung S3 or other android phone with micro usb..) to the e17? Is there a short male micro - male mini USB OTG that works?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

billiek

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #5,463 of 6,777
Quote:
Excuse me if this has been answered earlier - I've tried looking for answers but seem to be finding different ones.

Which cable should be used to connect a HTC One X (or Samsung S3 or other android phone with micro usb..) to the e17? Is there a short male micro - male mini USB OTG that works?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

billiek

I bought this one, still waiting for it though. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270803395745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,465 of 6,777
Anyone knows how to use the Fiio E17 as a Dac only?
I have the Schiit asgard as an amp and the HE-400.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5,472 of 6,777
Quote:
The iBasso D7 boasts its ability to decode 'bit for bit'.

Does the E17 do this?

Asynch-USB?

No.
E17 does not support USB.

It is mainly convenient to match up timings and so that when you start or stop a song it would 'match' up more. Is what I generally see with that feature.

I don't see it as a buy or not feature.

It's like using WASAPI or ASIO and FLAC. It is a guaranter of quality. Except that for A synch USB. It's more of an audio start and end type of guarantor from what I see.

Asynch USB makes it so that the computer AND and the device both have to receive confirmations before the device or computer sends the next one. 

To me, it is kinda like 1000MHz polling rate in computer mechanical keyboards. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #5,473 of 6,777
Odds and ends: 

The L7 dock works fine with my E17 even though it is not labeled on the website as for the E17.  My question prompted him to make the edit at some point. 

The L7 doesn't fit completely part-against-part into my E17.  The connector bottoms out before the two enclosures can touch.  Anyone else have that? So, I used two clear stick-on feet the right thickness to stabilize it from wiggling. 

This 6" cable on Amazon is male micro USB to male mini USB.  Perhaps of use to the questioner?  

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Micro-Adapter-UUSBMUSBMF6/dp/B008635BA2/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_5_dp

And this 3.5' cables has the PC USB connector at one end, and both mini and micro males at the other.  Each carries data, but only one each can be used with the PC at once.  I've charged on both but the data function is lost when connected as such. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Micro-Mini-Splitter-Cable/dp/B003Y569K8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1CW9F6KKCBHTR&coliid=I3SPKCNVX7YOA8

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #5,474 of 6,777
Quote:

smartphone >> USB OTG cable adapter + USB cable provided by FiiO >> FiiO E17
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1155#post_8979038

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,475 of 6,777
I'm a noob at the headphone impedance.items, would this be able to drive the new ath ad900x?

I'm looking into buying them with my tax refund (if it's enough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back