FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #5,446 of 6,777
In this thread, I could see posts related to upgrading firmware for E17, (message like "in new firmware they will add some feature")

But can anyone let me know how to upgrade firmware?

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #5,447 of 6,777
There is no firmware, its a driver for Windows they are talking about.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #5,448 of 6,777
From my expirience (4 months) E17 is definitly not enought for the HE-400, but was More than enought for my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro.

I tried a ICON HDP and next to a E17 there is enought diference to justify the investment (probably even more on something like the asgard or Lyr).

To Exactly explain what i felt is very dificult but lets just say that on gain 12, past the 35 volume mark, the sound starts to clearly lose in quality (its hard to notice this when you start using your gear, but you WILL figure this out later on).

Its "loud" enought, just looses quality at some point.

I personally will want to add a more neutral HP (senn HD600/HE-500/Beyer T1/Senn HD700, something like that), and im clear on getting a better AMP (thou this is a longer term project, first my velour pads and a new cable for the HE-400).

The E17 is a great product for the price, but its not a praoduct anyone should be using with a 250+ $ HP in my opinion.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5,449 of 6,777
Just picked up my E17 and it works great on all computers and inputs except for my stupid ASUS Netbook.

The netbook is running Win 7 Pro 32 bit and i just updated to SP1.

For some strange reason it shows up in the sound devices however windows gives out the error message "no audio device installed".  Anyone else have this issue?  I tried a search but no luck so far in my hunt though google.  I have a feeling it has something to do with the netbook but I am not sure what would cause the issue.

I was hoping to use my netbook to play music while I am flying to Asia in 2 weeks since it fits nicely into my camera bag and its cheap so if I lose it I am not worried.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5,450 of 6,777
I've never actually compared the gain settings, but I also use my E17 on 6db gain in the 25-30 range with a Q701 with a +2 bass boost. 

I love this little amp.

I use 12db gain with +4 bass and +6 treble. It all comes down to audio quality. I use FLAC to ALAC converted files with dbpoweramp. It makes a huge difference.

@Fiio: I've found the adhesive buttons that go on the back of the E17 fall off easily after a month or so. What do you suggest instead of them? I've lost most of the buttons I put on.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5,451 of 6,777
Just picked up my E17 and it works great on all computers and inputs except for my stupid ASUS Netbook.

The netbook is running Win 7 Pro 32 bit and i just updated to SP1.

For some strange reason it shows up in the sound devices however windows gives out the error message "no audio device installed".  Anyone else have this issue?  I tried a search but no luck so far in my hunt though google.  I have a feeling it has something to do with the netbook but I am not sure what would cause the issue.

I was hoping to use my netbook to play music while I am flying to Asia in 2 weeks since it fits nicely into my camera bag and its cheap so if I lose it I am not worried.

Probably a driver problem. Does it show that the Fiio audio controller is installed or working?
With me, sometimes I have to close all applications running, then plug the E17 in, then change the default sound from speakers to the E17. Then it works.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5,453 of 6,777
So I've ordered a new pair of Sennheiser HD598s.
I want an Amp/DAC primarily for the DAC part.
Would this Fiio E17 pair well with these phones?
I am comparing the Fiio E17 and the

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 .

Had anyone had experience with these particular phones and either of these Amp/DACs?

I will be using my 2011 Macbook Pro mainly (for music), but would also like to use them for occasional PS3 gaming, and blu-ray watching.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #5,454 of 6,777
This may be a dumb question and maybe I should have did a search before posting, but .... is it valid to charge the E17 via its USB cable plugged in to a standard Motorola Droid USB wall-wart charger -- or for that matter a standard USB iPod wall-wart charger -- w/o any risk of damage to the E17's electronics or battery?

Thanx!

EDIT:  Ok, never mind.  Found many posts in this thread after searching.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5,455 of 6,777
Quote:
This may be a dumb question and maybe I should have did a search before posting, but .... is it valid to charge the E17 via its USB cable plugged in to a standard Motorola Droid USB wall-wart charger -- or for that matter a standard USB iPod wall-wart charger -- w/o any risk of damage to the E17's electronics or battery?

Thanx!

There is always a risk of anything happening.

But no, it is safe. FiiO recommends an authentic Apple wall wart charger or any other authentic companies. 

Or for more info

Battery usage and procedure

Correct Panda Battery Procedure:
When the device is in use, do not use USB charge. Turn it off. When the E17/E07K is on it's final bar of battery, turn USB charge(or the USB cable) on and charge it to full. And then unplug or turn off USB charge and use until you are on your last bar of battery left. When you see the bars reduce to one, it would be best to start charging(sometimes you are out, and you can't, that's understandable, a few times won't hurt). Li-ion batteries like the one's found the in the FiiO E17 Alpen's don't react well to a full cycle of charge and FULLY de charge until the battery is dead. This has been proven to be actually bad to the life of li-ioin batteries. HOWEVER., you should do a full cycle where you fully charge up the device and use it all the way until the device automatically turns off ONCE every month or two as that has been shown to actually be good for the battery WHETHER you use it constantly or not. Do not fear my friend, even if USB charge is turned off when the device "dies" it will still charge after it runs out of power naturally as the E17/E07K's firmware will reset!

Li-ION batteris on general will last effectively 1000 complete charges before battery drops below about ~70% of the original storage. This is still acceptable by most consumers standards.

20 hours full battery life * 1000 effective uses =20,000 hours / 24 hours a day = 833 days theoretically before the E07K under theoretical conditions will decrease to 70% of its original storage life and this is with a full depletion and then charge cycle. And that is 24 hour usage as well.

FiiO currently reports that they will send replacement parts for a very low price. The battery is not that hard to user replace(but not under warranty). 

Partial charges for Li-ION's are better but of course constantly doing partial ones has also been reported to have an effect on the device as well which is why I recommend to charge before all power is gone and to charge till full.

The last point to make is that you can't use a device if you keep on babying it. Using a device and enjoying it is part of that batteries intent and life cycle. Honeslty, ANYTHING you do to it will have an effect on battery life. The majority of the time, it is a minute effect to something like an audio device. (This advice does not hold for Power Wheels, those buggers need proper battery handling). Enjoy the device, theoretically it will hold up well for many years.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_performance_as_a_function_of_cycling
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on batteries. I am self taught. Please correct me if something is wrong. But use sources and not just something your papa or person told you to always do.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #5,456 of 6,777
Thank you Pandaman.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #5,457 of 6,777
Probably a driver problem. Does it show that the Fiio audio controller is installed or working?
With me, sometimes I have to close all applications running, then plug the E17 in, then change the default sound from speakers to the E17. Then it works.

It shows up under sound devices in the device manager. It shows up in the playback devices. I can set it as a default devices, but there is only two tabs in the properties window. The main window and the levels tab which is empty. I also uninstalled the driver and let windows reinstall it and shows the same driver version as my other win 7 computers.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #5,458 of 6,777
I've owned the Fiio E17 for aprox. 5 months. Running 100% of the time through USB.
On my Denon 5000's i've found it delivers very well. Myself and others have compared it against MUCH more expensive amp/dac combos and the FIIO can hold it's own. It's not as bright as say a Yulong or Schiit but to me provides a more balanced sound. The built in EQ is great, I know this is sometimes looked down upon in the audiophile arena but a few small tweaks can really allow you to customize the sound to your specific liking, without degrading the overall sound quality.
In terms of a portable amp/dac this thing kicks ass, compared against the headroom bithead and it blew it away.
Obviously harder to drive headphones are where the FIIO E17 starts to struggle, but my denon's love this little guy!

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #5,460 of 6,777
Does E17 sound better than E09K+E17 for Q701? What about for lower impedance headphones?

My personal preference is for E17 + E09K + Q701.

But the E17 do a good job of driving my ATH-ESW10 Jpn and the Q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back