FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #5,416 of 6,777
Quote:

Hey!
I live in Canada too!
But I don't like the Tragically Hip.
Does this mean I will be deported? 
wink_face.gif

Maybe I should mention I do like Tim Horton's?

I Lived in T Dot for 27 years!

There is only a handful of Hip that is fit to listen to... 2nd & 3rd albums mostly, all the rest is Pure Dreck IMHO.

Now if you were not a Rush fan we would need to evaluate your qualifications as a citizen, and suffer unto you many, many hours of Celine Dion till you confessed and repented!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Timmies is a bonus saving throw!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #5,417 of 6,777
Quote:

There is only a handful of Hip that is fit to listen to... 2nd & 3rd albums mostly, all the rest is Pure Dreck IMHO.

Now if you were not a Rush fan we would need to evaluate your qualifications as a citizen, and suffer unto you many, many hours of Celine Dion till you confessed and repented!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Timmies is a bonus saving throw!
biggrin.gif

I too live in Canada. I don't like The Tragically Hip or Tim Hortons. Tim Hortons coffee tastes like complete **** and all their food is bad, I only have it because it is usually the only thing around when I am at work. I drink my coffee black so I really taste how low quality their coffee is compared to other places.

I live and work very close to Toronto. I do like Rush. Celine is awful.  

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #5,418 of 6,777
Quote:
I have found the battery life to be amazing on the E17. I have it driving my HD650s at 50 volume on the E17 with default gain and adjusted treble and bass to suit my liking. It has been cold recently in my area (-15C) and I have been taking my dog for walks with the E17 in my pocket with my iPhone and my HD650s. Cold usually kills battery life and I expected the E17 to be depleted after a 2 hour walk in -15C weather driving my headphones at high volume. Battery is at 70% from the looks of the bars after a 2 hour walk in cold weather. For me that is better than anything I could have expected. Hell I was even surprised that they were able to power my HD650s. 

I finally have the portable audio experience I always dreamed of. 

Great! I may have to contact Fiio direct and ask what the score is with having no receipt other than bank card statement! (good luck with that I hear you say!)

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #5,419 of 6,777
I too live in Canada. I don't like The Tragically Hip or Tim Hortons. Tim Hortons coffee tastes like complete **** and all their food is bad, I only have it because it is usually the only thing around when I am at work. I drink my coffee black so I really taste how low quality their coffee is compared to other places.

I live and work very close to Toronto. I do like Rush. Celine is awful.  

I get bonus points because my avatar is Canadian rock legends A Foot In Coldwater.

there seems to be two types of Tragically Hip fans, those who like the early stuff, and those who seem to be able to get something out of most of their releases.
Frankly, I think the music sounds good, but I can't take Gord's voice. I've seen a couple of his solo project shows.........his voice just sounds ........
Yes, I do like Rush.

I do like Timmies donuts!

Now if you were not a Rush fan we would need to evaluate your qualifications as a citizen, and suffer unto you many, many hours of Celine Dion till you confessed and repented! :veryevil:

Timmies is a bonus saving throw! :D

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5,420 of 6,777
I have found the battery life to be amazing on the E17. I have it driving my HD650s at 50 volume on the E17 with default gain and adjusted treble and bass to suit my liking. It has been cold recently in my area (-15C) and I have been taking my dog for walks with the E17 in my pocket with my iPhone and my HD650s. Cold usually kills battery life and I expected the E17 to be depleted after a 2 hour walk in -15C weather driving my headphones at high volume. Battery is at 70% from the looks of the bars after a 2 hour walk in cold weather. For me that is better than anything I could have expected. Hell I was even surprised that they were able to power my HD650s. 

I finally have the portable audio experience I always dreamed of. 

Not too surprising, the E17 even drives my 600 Ohm Beyers!

Lithium technology batteries do not lose as much capacity in cold weather as traditional technology batteries (car batteries, alkaline batteries, etc.)

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #5,421 of 6,777
Quote:
Or the problem could be that everybody is to caught up on trying to bypass the DAC in the idevices. As far as I know, most, if not all of the apple iDevices have good DAC's already in them and will work well with just a simple headphone amp and an LOD. The iPhone 4/4s and the iPads all have good DAC's in them for sure, I've never really looked to much into the nano's, touches or classics, but i'm assuming they are just as good as well. 

I can safely say that using my iPhone 4 with an LOD to my E17 sounds just as good as my laptop using usb out to the E17. 

Being the owner of an iPod touch 5th gen I'm obviously being sarcastic, but I would hope this holds true. I will be able to testify to it's validity here soon as I most likely am buying a portable amp soon instead of a portable amp/DAC combo.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #5,422 of 6,777
The issue with the 5th gen is the lightning connector, which has no analog line out. You probably should have went with the 4th gen instead. 
Quote:

Being the owner of an iPod touch 5th gen I'm obviously being sarcastic, but I would hope this holds true. I will be able to testify to it's validity here soon as I most likely am buying a portable amp soon instead of a portable amp/DAC combo.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5,423 of 6,777
Hey I'm using the fiio e17 to drive the he-400's and most of the time it does a good job as far as I can tell. They say it drives them to about 85% on the he400 thread. However when I am gaming I use the headphone jack on my tv to connect to the e17s auxillary and then to the he400's. It starts clipping as soon as I get it to any descent volume level. It's still manageable, but I would really like to have it at loud volumes for fps games and as soon as it gets to anything over medium volumes it clips like no tomorrow. I tried using 12db gain and lower volume, as well as 6db with higher volume. The effect was the same, but it just happened at different number values. I tried it on my other tv and it worked fine at high volumes and it has never clipped while playing music. Is there some way to stop the clipping? My tv's volume is on max so the e17 is getting a strong signal. Would using it through a different input help?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #5,424 of 6,777
The input to the E17 is most likely more than it can handle. Lower TV volume and then use E17

This will theoretically reduce some "bits" of dynamic range from 16 or 24 to a lower one as your tv isnt an old analog one. However it shouldnt be too noticeable.

If it is possible, you can check to see if your tv has coax digi out or optical out.

Keep in mind that the x360 and ps3 have opt out capabilities.

Use the x360 hd component series so you can use optical or use your ps3. There is no diff between hdmi and hd component(5 cabled one with hd switch on) with xboxs

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #5,425 of 6,777
My Fiio E17 can drive my HD650's and Mad Dogs very well. Just using them as pure amp though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #5,426 of 6,777
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply , now it is impossible to me to track all the thread because I already spent so many time in head-fi and other forum. 

All the possibility includes

1, E17 itself. you got a defective E17. means you have to contact mp4nation to get warranty service. I heard they will open shops in India in the coming soon, you can contact them.

2, The cable. you can try another USB to mini USB cable.

3, The OS of the PC, I will suggest you try another PC/Laptop , and don't forget to change the input to USB. 

I tried with many PCs but getting the same issue. I think the issue is with E17 itself. But I'm still wondering because it was working fine till last week and suddenly one day it is not getting detected. What happened in between? What was causing this issue? I don't understand

The last time when it was working fine, I was fiddling with 96 KHz/24 bit in Audio MIDI setup in my MAC os for HD tracks but thats the only thing which I did. But from next day it was not working. Even I tried to change back 96 khz to 44...

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #5,427 of 6,777
I tried with many PCs but getting the same issue. I think the issue is with E17 itself. But I'm still wondering because it was working fine till last week and suddenly one day it is not getting detected. What happened in between? What was causing this issue? I don't understand

The last time when it was working fine, I was fiddling with 96 KHz/24 bit in Audio MIDI setup in my MAC os for HD tracks but thats the only thing which I did. But from next day it was not working. Even I tried to change back 96 khz to 44...

"U'r holding it wrong, try one of our complimentary bumper cases."

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5,429 of 6,777
Sorry, I didn't understand

It was meant as a joke referring to the iPhone 4 antenna problem.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-25/tech/iphone.problems.response_1_iphone-antenna-performance-reception?_s=PM:TECH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back