FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #5,371 of 6,777
Quote:
Well, that's a bummer. What do you think about the iPhone's DAC? Should I look at getting a portable amp/dac that will support this or is the DAC good enough in the iPhone 5?

Depends on how much of an audiophile you are. The DAC's of Apple devices are quite nice. But some want to take it a step further. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #5,372 of 6,777
Quote:
Depends on how much of an audiophile you are. The DAC's of Apple devices are quite nice. But some want to take it a step further. 

If I can I'd like to have the best sound possible. I realize I don't have the best headphones yet, but if I can get an all-purpose amp/dac I'll be future-proofed.

Maybe the upcoming E19 will work with idevices. Is there any info on this yet?

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #5,373 of 6,777
Quote:
If I can I'd like to have the best sound possible. I realize I don't have the best headphones yet, but if I can get an all-purpose amp/dac I'll be future-proofed.

No. 

The only devices that seem likely to come out by April is the X3 and E18. Key word likely.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5,375 of 6,777
Quote:

Hmmm...maybe the use of idevices could be the source of the problem 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #5,376 of 6,777
Quote:

tongue.gif

Or the problem could be that everybody is to caught up on trying to bypass the DAC in the idevices. As far as I know, most, if not all of the apple iDevices have good DAC's already in them and will work well with just a simple headphone amp and an LOD. The iPhone 4/4s and the iPads all have good DAC's in them for sure, I've never really looked to much into the nano's, touches or classics, but i'm assuming they are just as good as well. 

I can safely say that using my iPhone 4 with an LOD to my E17 sounds just as good as my laptop using usb out to the E17. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,377 of 6,777
Quote:

tongue.gif

L3000.gif
What was that? jk

I love my iPhone.

Quote:
Or the problem could be that everybody is to caught up on trying to bypass the DAC in the idevices. As far as I know, most, if not all of the apple iDevices have good DAC's already in them and will work well with just a simple headphone amp and an LOD. The iPhone 4/4s and the iPads all have good DAC's in them for sure, I've never really looked to much into the nano's, touches or classics, but i'm assuming they are just as good as well. 

I can safely say that using my iPhone 4 with an LOD to my E17 sounds just as good as my laptop using usb out to the E17. 

That's what I was thinking. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get the darn E17 already and just try it for myself. Best place to buy it?

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #5,378 of 6,777
Quote:
L3000.gif
What was that? jk

I love my iPhone.

That's what I was thinking. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get the darn E17 already and just try it for myself. Best place to buy it?

I love my iPhone as well. I have the old 32gb Verizon iPhone 4.

Do it!! The E17 is a great little amp and DAC. I got mine a few months ago from a seller on ebay for $140 shipped, not sure where the best place is to get it now.   

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,379 of 6,777
Authorized dealer is best place to buy. FiiO's website has the complete list.

authorized dealer makes sure that you get a legit item, and if the item has any problems, that company has to help you within it's certain number of days (as opposed to ebay). And FiiO's official warranty ToS states that they will only support stuff from authorized dealers. 

Buy from an authorized dealer that is in your country or near your country(for example, if in EU, any country nearest to you in it is fine) as this makes sure that if you get a faulty product, returning/exchanging and support will be quick. If all options fail. MP4nation is still availble and have free international shipping. Only problem is that the back and forth time with them may take about a month and so FiiO said they don't recommend taking that route first.

FiiO's ToS stated that they will not support stuff from un authorized dealers. But their CEO, James which is Feiao here on Head-Fi. Has said that it is just business talk. FiiO gives support to anyone with a FiiO so rest assured if you have a device that wasn't purchased from one. I got a FiiO from dealextreme back when I first got my FiiO and they supported me quite well.

All this info above is data that FiiO have stated as of this date today of writing. Any of it is subject to change. I am just playing back info that James and rep's from FiiO have stated in the past on company procedure and what they prefer. It is subject to change with official ToS rules that FiiO has on support and sales.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5,380 of 6,777
I am pretty damn happy with my E17, I have been using it when I go to walk my dog. It paired with my HD650s sound pretty nice for a portable audio experience. I just wish I had a lighting cable to line out, I am currently using a 30-pin to lightning adaptor coupled with the fiio 30-pin - line out. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5,381 of 6,777
Quote:
I am pretty damn happy with my E17, I have been using it when I go to walk my dog. It paired with my HD650s sound pretty nice for a portable audio experience. I just wish I had a lighting cable to line out, I am currently using a 30-pin to lightning adaptor coupled with the fiio 30-pin - line out. 

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5,382 of 6,777
Quote:

Do you have a mini-TOSLink optical cable so you can try SPDIF connection to your E17? If you can connect via optical SPDIF to your MacBook, that will tell you if the DAC in the E17 is functional. Alas even if it does work via optical SPDIF, your  E17 may indeed have had a hardware failure that affects only the input via USB. Have you tried the AUX input on the E17? That won't tell you anything about the DAC, but it will at least verify if the amp function of the E17 is still working.

Regardless, it does unfortunately sound like your E17 might have encountered a hardware failure, but until you test it on another PC or Mac, you won't know for certain. Another thing to try, although it's sort of a last ditch effort, is to disconnect your E17 from all devices and turn it on, letting the battery completely drain. Once it turns off, plug it back into your MacBook with the E17 powered off so that it does a recharge. Once it's been charging for a few hours you can turn the E17 on and see if draining the battery has corrected anything. It likely won't make a difference, but I've seen strange things with small electronics. Good luck!

Dale 

I tried with another Windows PC (Windows 7) but it says 'installing device driver software failed'....so its clear that the issue is with device driver software, May be PC could not load driver from E17

Could anyone help me out in downloading driver software? I searched in FIIO website but couldn't find any driver

Thanks

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #5,383 of 6,777
Quote:

I tried with another Windows PC (Windows 7) but it says 'installing device driver software failed'....so its clear that the issue is with device driver software, May be PC could not load driver from E17

Could anyone help me out in downloading driver software? I searched in FIIO website but couldn't find any driver

Thanks

There is no downloadable one. 

The driver is USB class 1. Meaning it is self contained. Can you try on another PC? If the same problem happens, then the USB has problems most likely

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #5,384 of 6,777

From my experience/gear, I ended up only using the E17 to amp my iPhone 4 with LOD. Sound from my oldest PC got cleaned up but I'll also vouch for the experience of saying "DAC/AMP w/PC=AMP with iPhone 4". Am now looking to just buy the E12. The E17 has more EQ settings/adjustments however that might make it a better option for some. What other just amps with E17 level of EQ or better are available for around the same price?

Edit: Nvm, found answer. :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #5,385 of 6,777
I can't say enough positive about the battery on the E17. I just can't get the thing to run out lol, I haven't charged mine in 5+ days now, and out of those last 5 days I've spent at least 4-5 hours with it 3 of those days (the other 2 days has also had use, but less). That should have been enough to drain the battery, but it's STILL sitting at 50%. I'm beginning to wonder if the battery is ever going to run out 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back