FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Nov 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4,727 of 6,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup! The E17 has an input button and you can just select between "USB," "OPT," and "COX" using that button.

And "AUX" too...

This is great news!  Now that I know this, I am definitely going to buy the E17 for Xmas!  A present to myself! ahaha... Thanks again! :)

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4,728 of 6,777
Do it! The E17 is awesome!

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #4,729 of 6,777
Quote:
And "AUX" too...

"AUX" becomes unavailable in the menu once the E17 is docked to the L7. It's natural, because the L7 blocks the auxiliary input physically. You can't use AUX when the E17 is docked to the L7. It doesn't matter, because now you've got USB, OPT, or COX feeding a digital signal to the E17. If you wanted to feed it an analog signal, you wouldn't be attaching it to a digital source in the first place.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,731 of 6,777
The only sound format when using my E17 as a DAC for my laptop is 16 bit/32000 Hz.  Is this normal?  In any other setting, then sound comes out crackling and heavily distorted.  16 bit/44100 Hz was the default setting so I had to turn it down.  Not sure what this even does (something about shared mode?) but I figured I'd ask.  

thx

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #4,732 of 6,777
Quote:
The only sound format when using my E17 as a DAC for my laptop is 16 bit/32000 Hz.  Is this normal?  In any other setting, then sound comes out crackling and heavily distorted.  16 bit/44100 Hz was the default setting so I had to turn it down.  Not sure what this even does (something about shared mode?) but I figured I'd ask.  

thx

32000 Hz? Do you have Mac or windows? Where do you see 32000 Hz? In the Windows Sound preferences/settings menu or Mac audio options one? Are you using AUX/OPT/COAX/or USB? (OPT and COAX are SPDIF) 
What music player are you using?

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet!"

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,733 of 6,777
Quote:
32000 Hz? Do you have Mac or windows? Where do you see 32000 Hz? In the Windows Sound preferences/settings menu or Mac audio options one? Are you using AUX/OPT/COAX/or USB? (OPT and COAX are SPDIF) 
What music player are you using?

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet!"

Windows.  Advanced menu when I click on the E17 in my list of devices.  USB.  No music player, just general sound (test audio from Advanced menu, Youtube, twitch.tv stream).

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,734 of 6,777
Quote:
Windows.  Advanced menu when I click on the E17 in my list of devices.  USB.  No music player, just general sound (test audio from Advanced menu, Youtube, twitch.tv stream).

• Go to start menu
  • Type in "device manager"
  • Find the E17. 
  • Right click and choose to uninstall. Click yes or whatever
  • Unplug the E17 from computer. 
  • Replug
  • You will see it is reinstalling drivers
  • Go to your bottom start bar. See the volume icon?
  • Right click and go to "playback devices"
  • See the E17 USB blah blah? Right click "Properties" 
  • Make sure Use This Device enable is on
  • Check all the supported formats from 44.1 to 96KHz, nothing over or below, don't check encoded formats any of them
  • make sure your levels are at 100
  • Disable ALL ENHANCEMENTS (do IT) no ENHANCEMENTS
  • In Default Format, choose 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100
  • Check both Exclusive Mode's if they aren't checked.
  • Open iTunes and run audio, NOT YOUTUBE.. Play a song for pete's sake. Some videos on youtube have crackly audio already.

Now sing the panda song. Panda Panda Panda, you are the best, panda panda, you shall get a check, panda panda panda, 

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #4,737 of 6,777
Quote:
  • Go to start menu
  • Type in "device manager"
  • Find the E17. 
  • Right click and choose to uninstall. Click yes or whatever
  • Unplug the E17 from computer. 
  • Replug
  • You will see it is reinstalling drivers
  • Go to your bottom start bar. See the volume icon?
  • Right click and go to "playback devices"
  • See the E17 USB blah blah? Right click "Properties" 
  • Make sure Use This Device enable is on
  • Check all the supported formats from 44.1 to 96KHz, nothing over or below, don't check encoded formats any of them
  • make sure your levels are at 100
  • Disable ALL ENHANCEMENTS (do IT) no ENHANCEMENTS
  • In Default Format, choose 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100
  • Check both Exclusive Mode's if they aren't checked.
  • Open iTunes and run audio, NOT YOUTUBE.. Play a song for pete's sake. Some videos on youtube have crackly audio already.

Now sing the panda song. Panda Panda Panda, you are the best, panda panda, you shall get a check, panda panda panda, 

thank you for this post.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4,739 of 6,777
The Panda Song?

Do I even want to ask?​

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,740 of 6,777
Very odd.  After following the above steps to troubleshoot my E17, it worked fine for the rest of the night.  Before I went to bed, I turned my E17 off and put my laptop on sleep mode.  

So I wake up today and do some internet browsing on my laptop.  After about an hour, I decide to listen to some music through iTunes.  I turn on my E17 and the sound is crackling and distorted just like it was yesterday, only today the settings are correct.  Setting the default format to 16/32 still fixes it though.  Reinstalling the driver didn't help.

Settings:
Encoded formats - none
Supported sample rates - 44.1, 96.0
Levels - all 100
Enhancements - none (none even listen in settings)
Default format - 24/44.1
Exclusive mode - both enabled

What the heck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back