FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Aug 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #4,276 of 6,777
Quote:
Hey, how long does the fiio e17 keep its charge for you guys? I had my fiio e17 fully charged like 3 weeks ago, and I havent used it since. Today I took it out of its pouch where it has been in for 3 weeks and it has no charge at all. Is this normal?

Back when I had it, this was normal. Although it could be many factors. Charge and use and etc etc. Report if there are any weird battery anomalies such as inability to charge, very short life and other stuff.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #4,277 of 6,777
Got Fiio E17 today, but i got a problem.
I can only use 96k 24bit in usb mode which connect to my PC? I understand the 3.5mm cable is an analog, and analog audio doesn't involve bit rate or sample depth. The audio output of analog is same as the source, but what about using LOD cable with my ipod? LOD is considered to be digital output. While the E17 connect with my ipod, It only indicates 48k 16bit.  Does it mean the sound quality of LOD cable is worse than 3.5mm jack when i play a 96k 24bit song?

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #4,279 of 6,777
I can only use 96k 24bit in usb mode which connect to my PC? I understand the 3.5mm cable is an analog, and analog audio doesn't involve bit rate or sample depth. The audio output of analog is same as the source, but what about using LOD cable with my ipod? LOD is considered to be digital output. While the E17 connect with my ipod, It only indicates 48k 16bit.  Does it mean the sound quality of LOD cable is worse than 3.5mm jack when i play a 96k 24bit song?

You are over thinking.

USB on E17 only supports UP TO 24/96

iPod downsamples or its dac only supports 16/48

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4,280 of 6,777
Actually, Pretty sure some iPod's support 24/48. 
Quote:
You are over thinking.
USB on E17 only supports UP TO 24/96
iPod downsamples or its dac only supports 16/48

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4,282 of 6,777
My e17 is connected to my PC (Windows 7) by usb and everytime the computer wakes from sleep mode it outputs 1-2 seconds of loud noise (like white noise) through the headphone out and line out. Does anyone else have this problem?

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,283 of 6,777
Quote:
My e17 is connected to my PC (Windows 7) by usb and everytime the computer wakes from sleep mode it outputs 1-2 seconds of loud noise (like white noise) through the headphone out and line out. Does anyone else have this problem?

If it only does that when comming out of sleep mode then I wouldn't worry about it. I would only worry if it is a constant problem.

Comming out of sleep mode, some components are restarting back up (powered down to save energy) and thus can lead to some white noise problems.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4,284 of 6,777

LOD is analog. The E17 always shows something up in that section of the display, even when operating as only an amp (AUX input).

Any quality difference between 3.5mm HP jack and LOD connector will be due to the difference in amping between the two ports on the ipod. The LOD is preferred, but is still not using the DAC of the E17, so the 48k 16bit displayed is meaningless.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #4,286 of 6,777
Quote:
today i connected my e17 through an optical cable, what a world of difference in sound, amazing (sennheiser hd598)

Unless something was wrong with the USB cable or the settings you were using with your player and etc were faulty. It's more of a world of placebo. The sonic difference between a proper optical or porper USB connection at this price range is close to negligent. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #4,289 of 6,777
A prompt answer would be nice, cause I'm kinda on a time budget.Can someone help me out? I've read a lot of threads so I've narrowed down my question, and a lot of the thread were kinda old-ish, so I'd a fresh opinion would be nice. Anywho...

So I've come across a great deal for an E9+E7 (used, but in very very good condition) for about the same price as a new E17. I'm not really sure what to get. The extra power from the E9 would be nice, but I've also read that the DAC in the E17 is nicer than the one in the E7. I'd be using primarily with a portable device, but I'd also occasionally use it with my desktop (hence why I narrowed it down to DAC/AMP models from Fiio). Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of choosing one over the other? I'm kinda leaning towards the E9+E7 combo, just because it's such a good deal.

Thank you!

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #4,290 of 6,777
Quote:
A prompt answer would be nice, cause I'm kinda on a time budget.Can someone help me out? I've read a lot of threads so I've narrowed down my question, and a lot of the thread were kinda old-ish, so I'd a fresh opinion would be nice. Anywho...

So I've come across a great deal for an E9+E7 (used, but in very very good condition) for about the same price as a new E17. I'm not really sure what to get. The extra power from the E9 would be nice, but I've also read that the DAC in the E17 is nicer than the one in the E7. I'd be using primarily with a portable device, but I'd also occasionally use it with my desktop (hence why I narrowed it down to DAC/AMP models from Fiio). Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of choosing one over the other? I'm kinda leaning towards the E9+E7 combo, just because it's such a good deal.

Thank you!

1:Nope, they use the same exact DAC chip the WM8740 however the E17 has some upgrades to some chips, S/PDIF support with a Tenor chip and other small circuit updates. But all in all, same inside DAC. Probably small sonic improvements.

Considering you want some extra power and am mainly worried about E17 having a better chip, you could just stick with the combo. The e7 uses the same DAC chip but not cirucuitry. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back