FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3,916 of 6,777
Quote:
I think you are still mistaking it.

You are not using iPad connector.. The L10 goes directly into the iPad and then you probably are just plugging the end into the E17's AUX in.

It is not digital. You are getting an analog "stream" straight from the iPad's DAC...well not straight but we won't include all those other little circuits and stuff that do make small differences that huge audiophiles care about

and from that analog stream you are amplifying it with the E17.

I have done the same thing with homesharing. Homesharing uses airplay technology and supports up to CD quality which is 44.1KHz @ 16bit and in lossless and compressed lossless formats. which is quite nice and good enoguh.

Thanks for clarifyng digital vs not.  I agree I am not using the ipad connector. I also agree the sound is reasonable enough for average listening, which is all I need when using the ipad.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3,917 of 6,777
Quote:
Do more testing, at least a week. Use the E17 with laptop for a whole day, use it with desktop the next for the whole day and then move around and try. It is highly that it may be psychological. But betting on the other circuits that send the pcm stream from your hard drive to usb port can also be a part of it. As in the path and parts the stream moves through to reach it's final desitnation of outputing through that USB port and into your device and cable.

If you still feel it's the same then I leave that to your own opinion but please note that updating audio codec and it's accompanying software may help. Be sure to make a system restore POINT(not system restore, make a point to restore TO) before you do your drivers and software. This whole sentence here is more advanced stuff and will and is going to be done at your own risk and I take  no responsibility if you mess up at this part(some do)

It is probably your imagination unless your laptop has some problems in USB and getting a proper PCM stream out with fault parts.

I have to concede that it may well be my imagination. I have a macbook so not sure if I can update audio codecs and system restore point etc. If there is a way then I'm sure I can work it out. I mean I've built my own pc and it's a fully functional hackintosh with my own custom boot screen etc. I do remember reading that companies like m-audio were complaining about power output on some macbooks' USB ports so I can look into that as well.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3,918 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks for clarifyng digital vs not.  I agree I am not using the ipad connector. I also agree the sound is reasonable enough for average listening, which is all I need when using the ipad.

Quote:
I have to concede that it may well be my imagination. I have a macbook so not sure if I can update audio codecs and system restore point etc. If there is a way then I'm sure I can work it out. I mean I've built my own pc and it's a fully functional hackintosh with my own custom boot screen etc. I do remember reading that companies like m-audio were complaining about power output on some macbooks' USB ports so I can look into that as well.

I'm not too sure about it myself as I don't use my Mac as my main computer. But the software updates they roll out usually are what you need and unlike PC's , Mac's are generally very good with drivers and reliability.

There should be enough power on that MAc. Try a different USB port...and even if there wasn't enough power which there shouldn't be it ....probably wouldn't sound like that...but then again, I haven't deal personally with underpowered USB ports

Them compalining about it may be because their devices weren't working as there wasn't enough power or other stuff so maybe. 

But try it and do some tests but like my group says...it's all in your mind. However if you still personally think that I may be wrong then go get yourself a powered USB hub....and see if you can hear it. Have a friend or GF or wife do blind tests. Meaning have them randomly plug and unplug from different computers playing same song in random configs with you blindfolded. 

darthsmile.gif

I'm not asking you to get a powered USB hub, just that if you positively feel that there isn't enough power....and that that's why it may sound not as good then that would be a solution to ..do a unscientific test.

Quote:

You're welcome.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3,919 of 6,777
USB should be bit-perfect, regardless of power levels. The power required for a solid signal across a few feet of cable via USB is really small. If a USB port has power issues, it would be noticed on the +5V wire used for powering devices, not on the data line. Even if your port isn't giving the 150 mA required by the E17, the E17 should just power itself via battery.

Things to check on the desktop/notebook
- Both set to the same output format (24b/96kHz, 16b/48kHz, or 16b/44.1kHz)
- Any and all EQ turned off
- Both volumes at 100% (if controllable)

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,920 of 6,777
Quote:
USB should be bit-perfect, regardless of power levels. The power required for a solid signal across a few feet of cable via USB is really small. If a USB port has power issues, it would be noticed on the +5V wire used for powering devices, not on the data line. Even if your port isn't giving the 150 mA required by the E17, the E17 should just power itself via battery.
Things to check on the desktop/notebook
- Both set to the same output format (24b/96kHz, 16b/48kHz, or 16b/44.1kHz)
- Any and all EQ turned off
- Both volumes at 100% (if controllable)

I am not too versed in USB but the part in bold. If that was case...then the CCK would work with the E17 as the E17 would simply make up for it with battery power.

Thanks for the last part. I was busy finding what he was doing that I forgot that kind of stuff!

Even if you find that one outputted something else..unless you didn't use tracks that were above 44.1 and then another that was different then it wouldn't matter too much..but even if you did. That wouldn't account for loss of bass impact and all that. It is very hard to tell all the different settings apart.

You can change it by typing "MIDI" in your search bar on your Mac and open the Midi setup thing.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3,923 of 6,777
I am not too versed in USB but the part in bold. If that was case...then the CCK would work with the E17 as the E17 would simply make up for it with battery power.

The issue with the CCK & E17 is that the iPad disables the CCK when it senses the high current draw.

I don't know the details of the E17's schematics/design, but methinks the 150mA being drawn is on the +5V line, not the data line.

He could test this by turning USB Charging off - then the power capability of either computer definitely wouldn't matter.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3,924 of 6,777
Quote:
The issue with the CCK & E17 is that the iPad disables the CCK when it senses the high current draw.
I don't know the details of the E17's schematics/design, but methinks the 150mA being drawn is on the +5V line, not the data line.
He could test this by turning USB Charging off - then the power capability of either computer definitely wouldn't matter.

The Thread has tried this before and nope. The USB draw ITSELF is too much and past what the iPad's CCK will allow. There has to be a middle man for the E17 to work with the iPad.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,925 of 6,777
The Thread has tried this before and nope. The USB draw ITSELF is too much and past what the iPad's CCK will allow. There has to be a middle man for the E17 to work with the iPad.

Even after disconnecting the 5v wire from the iPad, the iPad still gives a too much power required error. So it is not the actual power draw that gives the problem but rather the protocol discussion between the 2 USB chips in the devices.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3,926 of 6,777
I have just bought the e17 and it works well with the USB from my iMac.

I know I can use the e17 with the optical input from my airport express. What I am not sure how to do is connect the output from the e17 to my quad amplifier. In this set up I only want to use the dac part of the e17. Grateful for some help on this. I have searched forum but couldn't find the solution.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3,927 of 6,777
Quote:
I have just bought the e17 and it works well with the USB from my iMac.
I know I can use the e17 with the optical input from my airport express. What I am not sure how to do is connect the output from the e17 to my quad amplifier. In this set up I only want to use the dac part of the e17. Grateful for some help on this. I have searched forum but couldn't find the solution.

"Welcome to headfi! Sorry about your wallet!"

You have to buy a few things first..not expensive so don't worry.

First you need a FiiO L7

And then you plug it in like so. The L7 works with the E7 and E17.

You plug the L7 into your dock port of the E17 and then you also need a 3.5mm plug like in the picuture. You need a male plug to plug into the L7 and the other end of that wire will need to be whatever the input you want to use is. If your quad amp accepts and you want to use 3.5mm..then do the same. If it accepts RCA then then a male 3.5mm to male RCA plug cable

Now after this is done play some music and go to the E17, are you able to control the volume(and actually hear it get louder or quieter) or use the EQ option of the E17? If so then you need to set the LO switch to the right position. When this happens your E17 is essentially in variable out meaning your pre amp in the E17 is still engaged, some still like to use EQ of E17 or change volume or have or use the pre amp of a DAC or amp combo as it's just what they want but for you, it seems you want fixed line out which means the e17 will be in use just as a DAC. Well like I said above, find the LO bypass switch on the side of your E17...see it? There will be an up or down position. However way you are looking at it. Flip it to the opposite side. It will then be in fixed line out(unless you mistaked the side it was suppose to switch to, try it a few times if not, as the switch isn't perfectly up or down and may confuse you as it's kinda in the middle for some people) This section of the instructions are for only if you are able to control the EQ and volume.

Enjoy!

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #3,928 of 6,777
Quote:
"Welcome to headfi! Sorry about your wallet!"

You have to buy a few things first..not expensive so don't worry.

First you need a FiiO L7

And then you plug it in like so. The L7 works with the E7 and E17.

You plug the L7 into your dock port of the E17 and then you also need a 3.5mm plug like in the picuture. You need a male plug to plug into the L7 and the other end of that wire will need to be whatever the input you want to use is. If your quad amp accepts and you want to use 3.5mm..then do the same. If it accepts RCA then then a male 3.5mm to male RCA plug cable

Now after this is done play some music and go to the E17, are you able to control the volume(and actually hear it get louder or quieter) or use the EQ option of the E17? If so then you need to set the LO switch to the right position. When this happens your E17 is essentially in variable out meaning your pre amp in the E17 is still engaged, some still like to use EQ of E17 or change volume or have or use the pre amp of a DAC or amp combo as it's just what they want but for you, it seems you want fixed line out which means the e17 will be in use just as a DAC. Well like I said above, find the LO bypass switch on the side of your E17...see it? There will be an up or down position. However way you are looking at it. Flip it to the opposite side. It will then be in fixed line out(unless you mistaked the side it was suppose to switch to, try it a few times if not, as the switch isn't perfectly up or down and may confuse you as it's kinda in the middle for some people) This section of the instructions are for only if you are able to control the EQ and volume.

Enjoy!

Thank you for your welcome and reply!

As far as I can see the L7 has a usb input but I want to connect my apple airport express (AE) to the E17 using an optical cable, not via usb, so this will not work. 

So this is what I want to achieve:

Imac>>>>>>Airport express>>>>>E17>>>>>Quad amplifier>>>>>>>Speakers
           A                               B                C                             D

the connections are as follows A= wireless B= optical cable D= audio cable

My problem is what connection do I use at C so that I only use the DAC part of the E17. Is there a dock which has an optical input or is there another solution?

Many thanks.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #3,929 of 6,777
Quote:
Thank you for your welcome and reply!

As far as I can see the L7 has a usb input but I want to connect my apple airport express (AE) to the E17 using an optical cable, not via usb, so this will not work. 

So this is what I want to achieve:

Imac>>>>>>Airport express>>>>>E17>>>>>Quad amplifier>>>>>>>Speakers
           A                               B                C                             D

the connections are as follows A= wireless B= optical cable D= audio cable

My problem is what connection do I use at C so that I only use the DAC part of the E17. Is there a dock which has an optical input or is there another solution?

Many thanks.

Hahaha, don't worry about it. The USB that you see in the picture IS FOR CHARGIN or USB data purposes only. Ok what happens is that when you plug the dock into the E17 or E7...the USB in gets blocked.....that means you can't charge the device and USB input wouldn't be allowed.....as the port is blocked so FiiO added one to the dock to allow you to charge the device or use it as input. With the E17, you can still set input to optical!!!! :) USB is the main input most people use so blocking it with a DAC out dock.....would be quite disasterous to the device and especially the E7. And you can't charge it if that happens, so comes the USB in on the L7.  It is easy to get confused! Don't worry.

And I just told you..the FiiO L7 or the E9 or E09K (which are desktop amps that you don't need) are the only devices that you can use to send a fixed line out signal(JUST USE THE DAC) but you don't need the amps so you can only use the L7 like I said..Just switch it to OPT in for input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back