FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3,901 of 6,777
Today I got the E17 and the E9 set up. I had a couple of questions:

1. If USB charge is off and it is hooked to USB, does it get its operating power from the battery or from USB? I was wondering if I keep USB charge off if I will have to periodically charge it, or if it will operate indefinitely from the attached USB power.
2. How sturdy is the dock connector on this and on the E9? My E17 has a lot of play when docked to the E9, both front-to-back and side-to-side. It seems like there may be quite a bit of strain on the dock connector. Would putting rubber feet on the back help this any, or would they impede it from going into the E9?

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3,902 of 6,777
Quote:
Today I got the E17 and the E9 set up. I had a couple of questions:

1. If USB charge is off and it is hooked to USB, does it get its operating power from the battery or from USB? I was wondering if I keep USB charge off if I will have to periodically charge it, or if it will operate indefinitely from the attached USB power.
2. How sturdy is the dock connector on this and on the E9? My E17 has a lot of play when docked to the E9, both front-to-back and side-to-side. It seems like there may be quite a bit of strain on the dock connector. Would putting rubber feet on the back help this any, or would they impede it from going into the E9?

1:Battery, you will have to charge it later. If you forget to set USB chg to on, it will simply run out of batteries..and thus nothing will stop it from charging.

2:No idea sorry

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,903 of 6,777
I recently got the E17 and the Shure SRH1840's.  You need a FIIO L10 cable to interconnect the ipad cck out - L10 - E17 -headphones.  It worked fine for me.

This doesn't make any sense.

The iPad CCK goes from 30-pin dock connector male to USB A female.

The L10 goes from 30-pin dock connector male to 3.5mm male.

The two are incompatible. The L10 gets you lineout, but not digital.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3,904 of 6,777
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense.
The iPad CCK goes from 30-pin dock connector male to USB A female.
The L10 goes from 30-pin dock connector male to 3.5mm male.
The two are incompatible. The L10 gets you lineout, but not digital.

I just read it as well and you are right. It doesn't make sense.

You need a power source or something to boost power in the middle between CCK and E17 and a cable to connect the two. The L10 doesn't do that.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3,906 of 6,777
Quote:
You're not supposed to press down on a screen, so it should really been an issue if it is not supposed to make that sound.

I'm sure he was aksing others that also have the device to make sure it's just no him.

There is a screen(glass or plastic or other material) above the OLED panel itself so it's ok to do that..but as far as I remember. Mine didn't make that.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3,907 of 6,777
Sorry whether it makes sense or not it works.  Perhaps I should have more clearly stated using the L10 cable connected directly to the ipad, rather than referring to the connection as the cck. However you should have got the idea, as the question was would the E17 work with an ipad or is a separate external power source required.  No external power source is required.  Whether it is digital out, I don't know, but I get music which was the whole point.  Cable out (L10) connected to the Ipad with the ipad connector, and connected to the aux input of the E17.  Headphones out from from the E17. I hear the music from the headphones, so obvioulsy it works. I also use homesharing via itunes to wirelessly send music from itunes on my PC via my ipad.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3,908 of 6,777
Quote:
Sorry whether it makes sense or not it works.  Perhaps I should have more clearly stated using the L10 cable connected directly to the ipad, rather than referring to the connection as the cck. However you should have got the idea, as the question was would the E17 work with an ipad or is a separate external power source required.  No external power source is required.  Whether it is digital out, I don't know, but I get music which was the whole point.  Cable out (L10) connected to the Ipad with the ipad connector, and connected to the aux input of the E17.  Headphones out from from the E17. I hear the music from the headphones, so obvioulsy it works. I also use homesharing via itunes to wirelessly send music from itunes on my PC via my ipad.

I think you are still mistaking it.

You are not using iPad connector.. The L10 goes directly into the iPad and then you probably are just plugging the end into the E17's AUX in.

It is not digital. You are getting an analog "stream" straight from the iPad's DAC...well not straight but we won't include all those other little circuits and stuff that do make small differences that huge audiophiles care about

and from that analog stream you are amplifying it with the E17.

I have done the same thing with homesharing. Homesharing uses airplay technology and supports up to CD quality which is 44.1KHz @ 16bit and in lossless and compressed lossless formats. which is quite nice and good enoguh.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,909 of 6,777
Quote:
Is the bottom of the OLED screen supposed to squeak when I press down on it?

I know mine doesn't do that, I would have noticed it. I'll check later though. God I hate those squeaky issues. O_O

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #3,911 of 6,777
Quote:
My e17 sounds much better out of my desktop than my laptop.. Is this just my imagination? Maybe my laptop's usb ports are underpowered?

It could be that your desktop has a good DAC compared to your laptop. Correct me if im wrong (haven't been on the forums for a while 
blink.gif
) but even with the E17 it all depends on the sound card of you laptop and PC and what the E17 can improve on top of it. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3,913 of 6,777
Quote:
It could be that your desktop has a good DAC compared to your laptop. Correct me if im wrong (haven't been on the forums for a while 
blink.gif
) but even with the E17 it all depends on the sound card of you laptop and PC and what the E17 can improve on top of it. 

But i'm using the DAC in my e17 aren't I? I mean it's just plugged into the usb port.. I'm noticing more definition in the bass and more detailed soundstage. Maybe there's more interference near my laptop?

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3,914 of 6,777
Quote:
But i'm using the DAC in my e17 aren't I? I mean it's just plugged into the usb port.. I'm noticing more definition in the bass and more detailed soundstage. Maybe there's more interference near my laptop?

Yea you are, but i mean since e17 is still taking the sound output of your laptop and desktop and improving upon it. Its like adding whip cream on two pies. One pie is baked better than the other pie so even with whip cream improving the taste. The pie that was baked better will still have the better taste. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I know its a weird comparison. But try this remove the e17 from your desktop and laptop and check if the desktop sounds better. If not then like you mentioned before it could be a usb issue.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #3,915 of 6,777
Quote:
Yea you are, but i mean since e17 is still taking the sound output of your laptop and desktop and improving upon it. Its like adding whip cream on two pies. One pie is baked better than the other pie so even with whip cream improving the taste. The pie that was baked better will still have the better taste. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I know its a weird comparison. But try this remove the e17 from your desktop and laptop and check if the desktop sounds better. If not then like you mentioned before it could be a usb issue.

... you aren't ADDING upon what's already there. For most users of the E17, you are bypassing the dac and amp of your sound card/codec/processor etc completely and it's circuitry

Quote:

Do more testing, at least a week. Use the E17 with laptop for a whole day, use it with desktop the next for the whole day and then move around and try. It is highly that it may be psychological. But betting on the other circuits that send the pcm stream from your hard drive to usb port can also be a part of it. As in the path and parts the stream moves through to reach it's final desitnation of outputing through that USB port and into your device and cable.

If you still feel it's the same then I leave that to your own opinion but please note that updating audio codec and it's accompanying software may help. Be sure to make a system restore POINT(not system restore, make a point to restore TO) before you do your drivers and software. This whole sentence here is more advanced stuff and will and is going to be done at your own risk and I take  no responsibility if you mess up at this part(some do)

Quote:
Just a question, do you guys have a recommended ipod LOD cable, and i have a feeling your going to name a FIIO LOD cable 
tongue_smile.gif
 but in my personal experience they don't last very well.

YEs we do. It bypasses the iPod's own internal amplifier (not DAC) and headphone circuitry and allows you to use your own. We often do name them as they are cheap but there are others..but they are about 4X as costly if you want. I don't suppose you have any DIY experience so that's also out. The L11, L3, L9 are all recommended. The L3 annd L9 use the same "high quality" cable from oyaide japan HPC 22W wiring. Which the other FiiO LOD's don't use(lower quality cable..although you may not be able to tell a difference, the price difference is like $2 so just get the higher quality ones) The only differnece between L3 and L9 is the cable shape. L9 is more for ipods as it folds into your amp for a small efficent combo pack and L3 is if the amp is weirdly shaped or has an input that can't work with the L9. The L11 is a new one that also allows you to plug and charge your iPod at the same time(something current fiio LOD's wont allow as you are using the Dock of the ipod already) but it also requires you to buy your own cable. So you could buy a nice $7 3.5mm to 3.5mm male transfer cable if you would like(the input female port on the L!1 should be high quality enough for most audiophile purposes) but if that is too much for you, sticking with the L3 or L9 is fine

Here's FiiOs own cable chart that THEY made(not me):

open in newtab to see it bigger

Quote:
blink.gif

No, when plugged in through USB. You are bypassing both the computer's DAC's and amplifiers. But the USB ports and SB you are using are variables.....that unless they have problems(not to often), you won't hear a difference in.

No..... the term soundcard generally means an audio "card" that you plug into PCIE or any other periphreal slots on your mobo. But even if you were to take it to mean audio codec and processor and basically anything your computer uses to output sound.... the E17 more or less bypasses it. It's not 1+1=2 as in you are adding stuff onto it. You are taking one out of the equation and using the other unless you are sending some "surround sound" laced pcm data to the E17.

Quote:
My e17 sounds much better out of my desktop than my laptop.. Is this just my imagination? Maybe my laptop's usb ports are underpowered?

It is probably your imagination unless your laptop has some problems in USB and getting a proper PCM stream out with fault parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back