FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,676 of 6,777
Quote:
The E17 works perfectly as long as it's either docked in the E9 or connected to any power source through USB. As long as it's connected I can turn it on and use it. If i disconnect the power source it's completely dead.

The power led, when OFF and connected to a power source, is flashing red. When the unit is ON it's bluish.

This is what my invoice said about the specific seller: "AVShop items (Sold by OPPO Electronics Ltd.)". I'll leave the E17 in the dock overnight and if there's no change tomorrow, and no other answers here, I'll contact them. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Blue and purple when on means it's chargin and is on however in your case it could be "attempting to charge" and on.

Never seen flashing red before, there was not a firmware update so when I had my E17, I doubt it was different.

They don't seem to be an authorized dealer. Amazon ususally is very good with helping consumers like you and could have this resolved ....usually. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #3,677 of 6,777
I also bought my E17 through amazon.co.uk and it was supplied by Avshop / OPPO.

In my case, and I hope yours too, this was on the "Fulfiiled By Amazon" scheme. This means that Amazon ship it themselves and also manage any returns.

There are several ways to check. Your shipping email will have come from Amazon and the E17 will have been shipped in Amazon packaging.

Just login to your account, go to my orders and see what the options are.

I am not suggesting Avshop would be unhelpful but Amazon themselves are always so easy to deal with.

Sadly Amazon UK are showing no stock for any supplier at the moment but get your complaint in as soon as you can.

Ian

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3,678 of 6,777
It was definitely shipped by Amazon, and if AVShop (who seem friendly enough, I emailed them just now) fail to reply, I'll contact them directly. I suppose things will get sorted eventually.
smile.gif

I went here to get some expert advice from you guys and that was just what I got. Sadly, I suppose I won't be able to fix this one on my own.

As for the build quality etc. I still feel that Fiio did a great job with the E17. Feels really sturdy and looks lovely with my other desktop equipment. Depending on what I want to listen to, I prefer to use it both with and without the E9, which adds a bit of punch but, to my ears, make things sound just a tiny bit more cramped. I also appreciate the coax-in which I have yet to try out with my CD player but I expect it sound better than whatever dac's in there.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,679 of 6,777
Quote:

I am only asking because you did not mention it in your first post, but have you tried the reset button?  I've had my E17 for a month now.  Yesterday, it would not turn on (regardless of power source).  I hit the reset button, and everything is good now.

I suggest plugging it into an AC adapter or the E9, hit the reset button, turn it on, and let it charge until the red light extinguishes (assuming it doesn't still give you the flashing issue).

Does the number of bars in the battery indicator increase while it's plugged in?  Is the battery indicator flashing?

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3,680 of 6,777
How does everyone burn in the E11? What connection and volume setting? Does it make any difference? It seems like an urban legend reading through the threads with regards to amp burn ins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #3,681 of 6,777
How does everyone burn in the E11? What connection and volume setting? Does it make any difference? It seems like an urban legend reading through the threads with regards to amp burn ins.

Burn in on amps is more legend that anything else. It simply doesn't happen in any audible form.
But if you insist, burn-in is generally done with white or pink noise, or with music. Both payed at high, but not max, listening volume.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3,682 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:

Burn in on amps is more legend that anything else. It simply doesn't happen in any audible form.
But if you insist, burn-in is generally done with white or pink noise, or with music. Both payed at high, but not max, listening volume.

i agree... I can't say I heard any difference after "burn-in" of my E17.  However, I definitely am convinced there is burn-in of headphones and IEMs. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,683 of 6,777
Quote:
For those who don't want to wait for authorized retailers to replenish their stock. I got mine from houseofdap.com for $140 free shipping. Ordered on 5/23. Got it yesterday. I'm in texas.

Hey gordec,

Thanks for the info, and how much time did they took to dispatch your order?

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,684 of 6,777
Sorry for spamming the thread with a "look at my photos"-post but I've been hoping a long time for a foto of a E17 paired with a Iriver H1x0 bevore I owned the FiiO E17 that I can't hold back to post this two fotos for the case that there is a H1x0 owner thinking if buying tis DAC/amp would be a good descision:

Works perfectly and is somehow portable... 
I'm very happy with the sound of the Alpen.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,685 of 6,777
Quote:
For those who don't want to wait for authorized retailers to replenish their stock. I got mine from houseofdap.com for $140 free shipping. Ordered on 5/23. Got it yesterday. I'm in texas.

Hey gordec,

Thanks for the info, and how much time did they took to dispatch your order?

10 business days. It looks like they increased their price.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,686 of 6,777
I was inspired by cholero, so I had to add some portable pics of my own...

Here is the H140 + E17 "stack" in a "360" turnaround, and with a typical pair of phones for portable use:

A pair of Sennheiser HD 202's modded with detachable cable mod for dual mono jacks, and a DIY cable made with some OFC cable with XLPE insulation from BTG Audio, Rean nickel mono plugs, Vintage Audio Lab Rhodium stereo plug. Very fun portable setup.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,688 of 6,777
Very nice review of the e17. I'm looking forward to trying one when there back in stock on eBay :/

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,689 of 6,777
Quote:
Very nice review of the e17. I'm looking forward to trying one when there back in stock on eBay :/

By the time they are back on ebay in full stock, they will also be in BH audio and authorized sellers who will be selling at $140 with free shipping and as a FiiO authorized dealer, can give support and warranty and repairs that others may not fully guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back