FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,821 of 6,777

Quote:
I use the Optical input on the E17 while docked in the E9.  It looks like you are still having trouble.  That 's a bummer.  I've found with my sound card, it is a bit of a hassle to get the optical out to work, but it looks like you were able to get it to work on just the E17 alone.  I'm at a loss here.

But do you use the output on the E9 or the E17 when running it like that? I can get it to work like that as well, when I use the output on the E17, but I can only assume that's because the E9 isn't used at all - except for charging the E17 that is.

I've now also tried to go the USB way.

USB into the E9 and out through the headphone jack on the E9 = nothing
USB into the E9 and out through the E17 = sound

Which is what I don't understand. I'm controlling the volume on the E17 this way, nothing happens on the E9, so I assume I'm using ONLY the E17 with the E9 just acting as an USB interface. It actually sounds better, when I just use optical with my E17, probably because of my soundcard being superior to my motherboard. 

As described above, this combo works. PC, USB > E9 > out from E17 (ignore the OPT on the screen, it defaults to USB when you plug it in). But it doesn't make much sense to me, as it sounds inferior compared to just using the E17 with optical out from my soundcard.

This is how I imagine it should look like, when working properly with USB. PC > USB > E9 > out from E9 using the headphone jack. 
You can't see it on the picture, but the E17 IS set to USB and so are the settings on my PC. 

Have I misunderstood how the E9/E17 combo works?

It's also worth mentioning, that everything works on its own, so I find it hard to believe it's broken hardware somewhere in the setup.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #2,822 of 6,777
Quote:
Great! maybe we should make a USB cable which can support extra power supply!

If you do, you need to make it so that all of the power comes from one of the USB type A connectors with the other USB type A connector supplying just the USB data. In  the picture below, for example, the red connector would supply power and the black one the data. You can't have power on the black one as the E17 will still try to use it - I have two of these 'dual type A to micro USB type B' cables, but neither of them will work connecting the iPad to the E17 since both type A connectors have power connections. Hope that makes sense. And for my work troubleshooting the problem, I get a sample cable to verify that it works. :)

EDIT: just to clarify how the cable would work: the red type A connector would plug into a USB battery or external USB power source (i.e. powered hub or USB wall wart), the black type A cable would plug into the CCK adapter which is in turn plugged into the iPad, and the type B micro USB would be plugged into the E17.

Sadly such a cable doesn't seem to work.

I started with the same setup as you complete with the same Belkin powered hub.

Decided I don't want to take all this kit on the road so worked up a cable solution. The red USB plug is plugged into my ipad3 charger. When I switch everything on the iPad still says the attached device requires too much power even though only the white and green data wires are connected to the CCK. However if I put the Belkin hub back in place between the CCK and the other USB plug everything works even when the Belkin hub is not connected to it's power brick. Figure that!

To confirm everything was okay with the cables I plugged in my E7 in place of the E17 and also removed the hub. To make the test tougher I also set the E7 to charge through USB = ON

The E7 works and shows it is being charged ! But why does the E17 need a passive hub in the circuit? Or is the CCK that has to be fooled?

Ian

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,824 of 6,777
does the fiio e17 DAC bypass the ipod touch 4th gen DAC with the L9 cable?

No, LODs will not bypass an idevices DAC, only amp and headphone jack ciruitry.

Im back from my vacation now :)

And you brought bad memories. I just lost my L9 comming back from vacation today :frowning2:

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,825 of 6,777
I did not know this. Why would a person ever want a portable DAC then?

(EDIT: Or I guess the issue here is what is meant by the word "portable"? When I think portable, I think take it in my pocket with me... I can see the difference between plugging a DAC into a laptop's USB port on the go vs. plugging a DAC into a power outlet at home... but why would a person ever want a battery-operated pocket-sized DAC such as the E17?)

Quote:
No, LODs will not bypass an iDevice's DAC, only amp and headphone jack circuitry.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,827 of 6,777

Quote:

(EDIT: Or I guess the issue here is what is meant by the word "portable"? When I think portable, I think take it in my pocket with me... I can see the difference between plugging a DAC into a laptop's USB port on the go vs. plugging a DAC into a power outlet at home... but why would a person ever want a battery-operated pocket-sized DAC such as the E17?)

not sure, does the amp+dac work on a clip+?

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #2,828 of 6,777

Quote:
First, try using the E17 and the same USB cable on a different computer to determine if it is the motherboard. If the problem disappears, you know it is an issue with the computer you are currently using. If it persists, then it is something else.

Try using a different USB cable.

I tried it with my dad's laptop with the same usb cable and it seems to be fine. It must be my motherboard

Would anyone here have any idea why my PC's motherboard is causing this crackling?

It's a shame because the whole reason I bought the E17 is to get rid of the static/fuzzy sound, which was barely noticeable before. The E17 has only amplified it to the point I don't want to listen to music.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2,829 of 6,777

Quote:
I tried it with my dad's laptop with the same usb cable and it seems to be fine. It must be my motherboard

Would anyone here have any idea why my PC's motherboard is causing this crackling?

It's a shame because the whole reason I bought the E17 is to get rid of the static/fuzzy sound, which was barely noticeable before. The E17 has only amplified it to the point I don't want to listen to music.

get a newer motherboard than? motherboard or power supply.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,831 of 6,777
Quote:

The E17 not only functions as a portable DAC, but it is also an AMP as well. Some people have portable Sources other than idevices that the E17 can by pass their DAC, that is why a person would want a portable DAC/AMP.

Personally, i use my E17 with my iphone 4 because it can really crank up the sound with its awesome amp. In addition to that, the E17 has a bass and treble adjustments, and i love the fact that it can pump up the bass in my headphones for some of the bass heavy music i listen to. Another thing that is awesome about it is the fact you can adjust the balance in the left in right ear, and i have actually found a good use for it. Some of the older reggae tracks i listen to, for some reason, have the voice or most sound slightly more focused on the left side. With the E17, i can adjust the balance to center the music.

So anyways, i think what you really meant to ask is why would someone want an E17 for their idevice, and the reason why is to use the E17's amp function.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,832 of 6,777

Quote:
The E17 not only functions as a portable DAC, but it is also an AMP as well. Some people have portable Sources other than idevices that the E17 can by pass their DAC, that is why a person would want a portable DAC/AMP.

Personally, i use my E17 with my iphone 4 because it can really crank up the sound with its awesome amp. In addition to that, the E17 has a bass and treble adjustments, and i love the fact that it can pump up the bass in my headphones for some of the bass heavy music i listen to. Another thing that is awesome about it is the fact you can adjust the balance in the left in right ear, and i have actually found a good use for it. Some of the older reggae tracks i listen to, for some reason, have the voice or most sound slightly more focused on the left side. With the E17, i can adjust the balance to center the music.

So anyways, i think what you really meant to ask is why would someone want an E17 for their idevice, and the reason why is to use the E17's amp function.

do you know if the DAC portion atleast works for the Clip+?

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2,834 of 6,777

Quote:
^IS your question if the E17 will bypass the clip+ DAC? To my knowledge no.

yes that was my question, thanks.

I don't own any amps or dac except a asus xonar dg sound card. Not sure how much the fiio e17 would benefit my ultrasone dj1. I want more bass and more clear vocals

EDIT: I read your review by the way :) good job, still thinking if i should get the fiio e17 or not >_<

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,835 of 6,777
^the sound change is different for everyone. Bu i have the hfi 580. The dj1 are the same except for a faceplat change. With the Eq and byitself you get more bass and highs and trebles. Need more bass for that modern hip hop song? Up it to +4dB bass(what I like). Want those vocals to burn? +2/+4dB treble. Wanna go a natural and experience true audiophileness? Lose the EQ and listen to the E17 in its pure self as a computer DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back