FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,761 of 6,777

Quote:
As mentioned, the Fiio E17 doe snot have a full graphical equalizer. It is more of a sliding bar.

The unit will remember your last settings, but cannot remember multiple settings (i.e. if you set your bass at +6 and turn it off, then turn it back on, it will remember it, but you cannot have one preset for headphone A and another preset for headphone B)

If you are using the DAC in the E17, then you will be automatically skipping the sound card DAC. If you are using it with an iPod, you cannot bypass the iPod DAC.

Thank you. That's really helpful. Is there a portable DAC with a full EQ you could recommend? I intend to use the DAC with ATH-M50s and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S with a Toslink out and possibly USB.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #2,763 of 6,777
What is your source going to be?

For most portable sources (i.e. iPod), the E17 will not act as the DAC, and only as an amplifier.

So, I am not sure if you want a portable DAC or a portable amplifier (or both?). In any case, however, I do not know of any that has a full graphic EQ.

Quote:
Thank you. That's really helpful. Is there a portable DAC with a full EQ you could recommend? I intend to use the DAC with ATH-M50s and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S with a Toslink out and possibly USB.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2,764 of 6,777
[size=10pt]Guys,[/size]

[size=10pt]Download and try these preconfigured foobar2000 archieve, they work awesome with E17.  [/size]

[size=10pt]No need to do addition setting in foobar, use Bass or treble on E17 to tune more as you like.[/size]

[size=10pt]The "forward" config is suitable for:[/size][size=10pt] People who prefer a more forward/"in-your-face" sounding soundstage (but improved/larger stage with better imaging/positioning and separation over stock foobar2000), more engaging listening experience. Suitable for people who like the Grado sound or listen to lots of rock, EDM, dance, pop and acoustic etc music. If unsure I'd first try this one as it's more closer to stock foobar2000 sound.[/size]
[size=10pt]The "laid-back" config is suitable for:[/size][size=10pt] People who prefer a more laid-back sounding soundstage with better transparency and more spacious/wider soundstage, more relaxed listening. Suitable for people who prefer sound signatures by for example AKG K70x or Sennheiser HD800 or listen to a lot of classical/orchestra, blues, jazz music. Try this if you think the "forward" config is fatiguing or the vocals too "in-your-face".[/size]

[size=10pt]Forward config: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.%28Forward%29-RPGWiZaRD.zip[/size]
[size=10pt]Laid-back config: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.%28Laid-back%29-RPGWiZaRD.zip[/size]

[size=10pt]This are EQ creations from RPGWiZaRD, I pulled it from post 284 of thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss/270[/size]

[size=10pt]RPGWiZaRD, is a great Head-fi’er.[/size]

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,765 of 6,777
What is your source going to be?

For most portable sources (i.e. iPod), the E17 will not act as the DAC, and only as an amplifier.

So, I am not sure if you want a portable DAC or a portable amplifier (or both?). In any case, however, I do not know of any that has a full graphic EQ.

My headphones produce enough volume so I would prefer a DAC only.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,766 of 6,777
You still have not answered what kind of source you would be using. iPod? Laptop?

If you are using an iPod, then there are very few DAC only options. In addition, they are quite expensive...

If you are looking for a DAC for use with laptop only (i.e. not fully portable as it has no battery), then you could consider the Fiio E10. Of course, you could also consider the E17. However, neither have a fully graphical EQ (I assume you want one like the one that is in Foobar 2000/Winamp?)

Quote:
My headphones produce enough volume so I would prefer a DAC only.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,767 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
The DAC in the E17 is used on the E17/E9 combo if you connect your source via USB into the back of the E9 or Optical/Coax on top of the E17.  This can't be done with an iPod or iPhone, unfortunately.  You can only bypass the internal amp and not the DAC on the iPod or iPhone, and that is done by using a LOD.  On the iPad, you can bypass the internal DAC by using a powered USB hub and a Camera Connection Kit (CCK).  However, I've been experiencing distortion (or better described as a crackling noise) when using the FLAC Player app on my hi-res FLAC files.  I'm working with Dan Leehr on hopefully correcting this.  The normal  "iPod" interface on the iPad works fine however, and makes my ALAC files sound wonderful!!  When using a USB or SPDIF connection, the combo uses the E17 for the DAC and E9 for amp - or if you switch the bypass switch on the side of the E17 you can dual amp the signal using both the E9 and E17, which also allows you to use the EQ functions on the E17.

For your iPhone, your best set up is probably using the L3 (which I believe is the higher quality LOD of the ones you have) and plugging it into the back of the E9.  I believe you can then move the switch on the E17 so you're using the amp in it as well.  I can't remember which way you have to have it switched to get it to use the amp on the E17.  If you hear a difference from changing any of the EQ settings, you know you've got it set correctly.

I'm going to make an assumption here.  Since you have an iPhone, you probably have a computer with iTunes.  If so, this is where you can make your E17/E9 combo shine.  Maybe not so much with iTunes, but with your computer.  To do so, I suggest downloading Foobar and some hi-res tracks from a reputable source such as HDTracks.  Connect your computer to the E17/E9 combo via USB or better yet SPDIF if you have it, and enjoy your music like never before!  You can also enjoy your (hopefully) ALAC files in iTunes this way.  This would probably be the equivalent of playing the music on your iPhone if you could indeed bypass its internal DAC.  Unfortunately, this isn't very portable, but neither is the E17/E9 combo...

I hope this helps and answers your questions.

So in order to use E17's dac and E9's amp on my computer, connect a usb thingy in my computer then put the other end in the E9 then it will use the E17's dac and E9's amp?  I heard you gotta put the thing in lo gain but is it for e9 or e17?  I havent gotten my E17 btw, ordered it on saturday morning.  when should i expect it to arrive at my house?

That is correct.  However if you have it so the LO (meaning Line Out) is not bypassed, you will be dual amping the signal and then can use the EQ functions and Gain functions on the E17.  I think you may be confusing lo gain with the LO bypass feature of the E17.  Not sure when you can expect it.  I went through Micca and got it via USPS in about 3 or 4 days.

Quote:
Quote:
Can someone just confirm for me that the only way to use the E17 as a DAC only (e.g., to bypass the e17 amp and use an external amp) is with the L7 line out dock?

YES.

You can also use the more costly E9 as the external amp and figuratively kill two birds with one stone - it's a line out dock and an amp.  The E17 (along with E7) was specifically designed to dock onto the E9.  Both combinations (E17/E9, or E7/E9) make your earphones come alive and your music sound wonderful!  If you are wanting to be able to bypass the E17 amp to use with any other amp on the market, the E7 is the cheapest option.  You could do it with the E9 seeing it has a line out, but that would be a very expensive option if that would be the only reason you had for purchasing it.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2,769 of 6,777
Guys! I've got a bit of a problem. 

I just received my E17 a few days ago, and when I got my new soundcard yesterday (Creative Titanium HD) I was finally set for audio awesomeness - or so I thought. 

I'm using the optical output on the soundcard:

.. and into the E17:

Now, as the setup is at the above picture, everything works fine. Optical out on soundcard into E17 and out through 3.5mm into headphones = everything works.

Now, when I dock the E17 into my E9 and use the 6.5mm headphone (or 3.5 for that matter), nothing happens :frowning2:

Am I missing something here?

EDIT: It's worth mentionen, that the E17 says "DOCK" when I dock it in the E9, and it's charging the battery, so I can't imagine the docking being faulty

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,770 of 6,777
Hey guys. I just got my Fiio E17, and I already have problems.
Let me elaborate:
1) when using USB as input source I get really crap sound, crackling on low passages of songs, just like badly upsampled audio you get when going from 44.1 to 48khz without filtering. It drives me crazy, I've been trying every possible combination of output format, and software/player and still the same. If anyone has any ideea why is this happening please let me know. Using a laptop with Windows 7 64bit.
2) when using optical everything is fine at 24bit/96khz, sound quality is great, no problems like the ones above. But when I go to 192khz/24bit I get real bad quality. I'm guessing this is due to my crap optical cable. Not a real problem I guess.
I'm sorry about my first post being so problematic, but I really want to be able to use the usb input, not just for charging. Other than that I'm really impressed by the SNR and SQ of this, and also the bundle of things you get together with the unit.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,772 of 6,777
Update on my issue: Tested usb input on an older laptop with windows xp and it's working great. Seems to be a problem with the drivers on Windows 7 64, will try to reinstall.
@Razor-BladE - I've charged it for 10 minutes and after that it starts and you can use it, just keep it plugged in the usb and you can use it until it charges completely I guess (also be sure to have the hold button in the up position in order to start it). I don't understand why the battery comes almost completely discharged (my unit didn't want to turn on at all), this is supposed to be bad for Lithium Ion batteries.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2,773 of 6,777
Yeah I know you can use it while charging but I was just going to charge it completely before using it. But I've been charging for over 5 hours and it's still saying charging when by now it should have finished charging and just show full battery?

I've taken it off charge, and it does say full battery so not sure why it was still saying charging. What's the USB CHG thing in the menu?

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,774 of 6,777

Quote:
Guys! I've got a bit of a problem. 

I just received my E17 a few days ago, and when I got my new soundcard yesterday (Creative Titanium HD) I was finally set for audio awesomeness - or so I thought. 

I'm using the optical output on the soundcard:

.. and into the E17:

Now, as the setup is at the above picture, everything works fine. Optical out on soundcard into E17 and out through 3.5mm into headphones = everything works.

Now, when I dock the E17 into my E9 and use the 6.5mm headphone (or 3.5 for that matter), nothing happens :frowning2:

Am I missing something here?

EDIT: It's worth mentionen, that the E17 says "DOCK" when I dock it in the E9, and it's charging the battery, so I can't imagine the docking being faulty

Hmm...  Do you also have the E9 connected to your computer via USB?  I'm not sure if it would make a difference.

Is the E17 properly seated in the dock?  I'm just speculating here that the audio connections may not be good because it may not be seated correctly.

Do you have the LO (line out) bypass switch on or off on the E17?  If it is off, you may need to turn up the volume on the E17 to hear a signal.  You should be able to hear something in this case, though very faint - especially with it set at 20 from what I can see in the picture, but you say you hear nothing.

If you take the Optical cable out of the E17 is it still lit up - i.e. do you see the red light coming out of the cable?

What media player are you using?  When I use MediaMonkey, Optical won't work for me, but USB will - though that applies to the E17 alone or in the E9.  Foobar 2000 allows me to use Optical or USB.

I hope one of these helps.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,775 of 6,777
First time it takes long time to charge, not to worry I had same experience. You set USB charge off, when you connect to via USB and do not want to suck power from source, example E17 USB connected to iPad/iPhone via Camera connection kit, to bypass DAC on iPad/iPhone and use E17 DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back