FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2,686 of 6,777

Quote:
Okay, so I'm kinda confused on the set-up here.  E17 docked to E9 is supposed to use the DAC from the E17 and amplify the output via E9.  Does that work only when using the SPDIF/Coax inputs on top of the E17, only when using the USB in back of the E9 or what?  In order to get a signal from iphone to E17, I can't also have it docked, I've found, and if I use line input on back of E9 from iphone, the signal doesn't pass thru the E17 at all (I assume) because there is no change in SQ if I pull the E17 out of the dock when a song is playing.  I have L3, L7, L9 and L10 interconnects plus the optical wires Micca store included and I can't figure a way to use iphone as source and still run the signal through both products, docked or otherwise, with the cables I have now.  Anyone have a similar issue/solution?

The DAC in the E17 is used on the E17/E9 combo if you connect your source via USB into the back of the E9 or Optical/Coax on top of the E17.  This can't be done with an iPod or iPhone, unfortunately.  You can only bypass the internal amp and not the DAC on the iPod or iPhone, and that is done by using a LOD.  On the iPad, you can bypass the internal DAC by using a powered USB hub and a Camera Connection Kit (CCK).  However, I've been experiencing distortion (or better described as a crackling noise) when using the FLAC Player app on my hi-res FLAC files.  I'm working with Dan Leehr on hopefully correcting this.  The normal  "iPod" interface on the iPad works fine however, and makes my ALAC files sound wonderful!!  When using a USB or SPDIF connection, the combo uses the E17 for the DAC and E9 for amp - or if you switch the bypass switch on the side of the E17 you can dual amp the signal using both the E9 and E17, which also allows you to use the EQ functions on the E17.

For your iPhone, your best set up is probably using the L3 (which I believe is the higher quality LOD of the ones you have) and plugging it into the back of the E9.  I believe you can then move the switch on the E17 so you're using the amp in it as well.  I can't remember which way you have to have it switched to get it to use the amp on the E17.  If you hear a difference from changing any of the EQ settings, you know you've got it set correctly.

I'm going to make an assumption here.  Since you have an iPhone, you probably have a computer with iTunes.  If so, this is where you can make your E17/E9 combo shine.  Maybe not so much with iTunes, but with your computer.  To do so, I suggest downloading Foobar and some hi-res tracks from a reputable source such as HDTracks.  Connect your computer to the E17/E9 combo via USB or better yet SPDIF if you have it, and enjoy your music like never before!  You can also enjoy your (hopefully) ALAC files in iTunes this way.  This would probably be the equivalent of playing the music on your iPhone if you could indeed bypass its internal DAC.  Unfortunately, this isn't very portable, but neither is the E17/E9 combo...

I hope this helps and answers your questions.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,687 of 6,777
"For your iPhone, your best set up is probably using the L3 (which I believe is the higher quality LOD of the ones you have) and plugging it into the back of the E9.  I believe you can then move the switch on the E17 so you're using the amp in it as well.  I can't remember which way you have to have it switched to get it to use the amp on the E17.  If you hear a difference from changing any of the EQ settings, you know you've got it set correctly."

Yeah, I tried this setup and didn't seem to notice any SQ changes when altering bass/treble, and in fact no blips in the track when I pulled the E17 off the dock, which meant to me the signal was never passing thru it in the first place.  Cans were plugged into E9.  I think I did that with the LO Bypass switch in both positions, but will try again when I get home.  I'm probably trying to do the impossible anyway and should just run iTunes off the laptop and connect it to E9 via USB, if for no other reason to ensure that the E17/9 combo is working as advertised.

Will let you know what happens later this evening and thanks for the reply.

PS: I do have Foobar on my laptop, but have never really used it.  Can it import my iTunes library, or do I have to reload all the music into another directory specific to Foobar?  Also, I read somewhere that there were updates or add-ons to help sound quality when running Foobar on PC (Windows 7) but I haven't figured out how to download and install that update into Foobar. 

EDIT: So yes, it works like it is supposed to when using the laptop as a source via USB into the back of E9.  The LO Bypass is toggled up and that allows you to tweak the sound via E17 menu, which is great because the E9 gives me the current to drive my Q701's and the E17 lets me bump up the bass to a level I really enjoy (6 or 8 depending on genre).

AH-D1100's sound wicked (other than the creaking of the plastic hinges when I bob or turn my head) and that's with Gain 0 on both E17/9 and Bass at 0/Treble 2.

Have yet to test out Val's LP's or the Fostex, but I'm certain that they will sound just as divine!  Heck, forget the sound, my bourbon even tastes better - and it's high quality stuff to begin with!  Thanks, Fiio!

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,688 of 6,777
Yes Foobar automatically "imports" your iTunes library.  You just need to point to the folder.  I don't think it is really importing the tracks, I think it is just putting the directory in the Foobar Library.  I'm not sure about the Windows 7 add ons.  I've got the bare bones Foobar using Windows XP on one computer and Windows Vista on the other, and it works fine for me, but YMMV.

You know, I'm not sure if what you are originally trying to do will work - use the amp section of the E17 along with the E9.  I'll try when I get home too.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,689 of 6,777
woot!  I had forgotten that both my TV and PS3 has optical out.  I still hadn't figured out how to connect my 2.1 klipsch speakers to my TV...no adapter from radio shack would work for some odd reason.  Guess I'll be making use of the optical cable Micca supplied me with :)

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,691 of 6,777
So, I got my E17 from MiccaStore over the weekend. It worked on the optical line out on my desktop for about five hours. Then the screen flashed, while hold was on, then the sound cut off. I figured that the battery must have died out, so I charged it for a few hours. The red LED dimmed, so I figured it was charged. I tried turning it on, but the E17 was unresponsive. The hold switch was up as well. The reset pin did not work either. My desktop still recognizes the device, but the E17 screen does not turn on. Any ideas?

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,692 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes, you should, but 360 really won't come close to tapping the potentials of the E17 in gaming audio. I tested the optical out from HDTV->E17, with very positive results.

EDIT: Do pay attention to setup box settings though. You need to feed stereo signals to E17. Surround won't work with E17.

Is their a setting in the xbox 360 where I can designate whether it sends 5.1 or 2.0 signals through the optical cable?

Addition; Why won't the audio from the 360 be tapping the E17's potential? What makes this so? Can you elaborate.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,694 of 6,777

Quote:
Most games are highly compressed in audio format. Last I checked with say Bethesda's Fallout New Vegas, you're getting 96kbps encode. 

Yea , many games use lousy horribly compressed audio sadly. Some PS3 exclusives do however use high quality audio but otherwise its slim pickins , its weird how part of gaming has actually degraded over time unlike just about everything else.

Some PS3 games that support uncompressed LCPM : Uncharted, Killzone 2, Warhawk, Wipeout HD and RFOM. However I doubt that it'll send that signal through optical so its HDMI only.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,695 of 6,777
I can't seem to get mine to play in anything higher than 48kHz/16bit sound, from optical or USB.

I have 96 and 192 selected as options in the USB and optical playback devices respectively, but my E17 still displays 48k 16bit. I'm stumped

EDIT: Got it to playback 96/24 through USB but had to set it as the default audio device to get any sound. Is this necessary in Windows 7 because it's rather annoying to have to switch it back when i change to desktop speakers.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2,696 of 6,777
Yes, you have to set it as the default audio device.

As far as I know, there is no way to have both the speakers enabled and the USB/DAC (Fiio E17) enabled (and playing music) at the same time. Obviously, one would mute the speakers when using the headphones though...

If there is a way to enable both though, I'd be interested in finding out!

Quote:

EDIT: Got it to playback 96/24 through USB but had to set it as the default audio device to get any sound. Is this necessary in Windows 7 because it's rather annoying to have to switch it back when i change to desktop speakers.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,697 of 6,777
what are we gonna do when our beloved little device stops holding a long enough charge?  Wonder if battery will be replaceable at all

Just read an article on lithium batteries...I was surprised to find out that like someone pointed out earlier in this thread, it is not good to completely discharge your battery.... or even store at full charge.  There is no memory effect whatsoever and there is no conditioning needed at all. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,698 of 6,777

Quote:
Yea , many games use lousy horribly compressed audio sadly. Some PS3 exclusives do however use high quality audio but otherwise its slim pickins , its weird how part of gaming has actually degraded over time unlike just about everything else.

Some PS3 games that support uncompressed LCPM : Uncharted, Killzone 2, Warhawk, Wipeout HD and RFOM. However I doubt that it'll send that signal through optical so its HDMI only.

Thanks panz.

How do you go about learning which game has good audio? I always hear people say Battlefield has really good audio, does BT3 also use low quality?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,699 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks panz.

How do you go about learning which game has good audio? I always hear people say Battlefield has really good audio, does BT3 also use low quality?

Battlefield series always had good audio, way above average, but that was only up to Battlefield 2142. Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 have abismal sound in comparison.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,700 of 6,777
I would imagine by that time, the warranty would have expired anyway, and someone could just open up their E17 (4 screws on the back) to see what kind of batteries it uses, etc.

In fact, wasn't there a picture in this thread where someone showed the innards of the E17?

Quote:
what are we gonna do when our beloved little device stops holding a long enough charge?  Wonder if battery will be replaceable at all

Just read an article on lithium batteries...I was surprised to find out that like someone pointed out earlier in this thread, it is not good to completely discharge your battery.... or even store at full charge.  There is no memory effect whatsoever and there is no conditioning needed at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back