FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,672 of 6,777
Got my Alpen yesterday and have played with it a little bit.  I like it so far.  The one thing I have noticed that using it in with my ipod classic as a portable rig is that there is only one place that you can strap it together.  It interferes with the ipod controls and that is a little pain in the butt.  Minor detail but it is the one thing that stood out to me from beginning.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,673 of 6,777
Finally got mine yesterday. Let it charge at home and it is now accompanying me here at work docked to the E9 connected to my computer via usb. Once I figured out that I needed to switch it to lo bypass I noticed an immediate improvement in the SQ.

Currently listening to Peter Gabriel's "New Blood" disc one. I am hearing details I had never heard before.  It definitely increased range. Highs are brighter and more detailed. Had to flattened out the EQ on my Foobar so the highs didn't make my ears bleed.  Everything sounds crisper and punchier. Soooooo clear. 

The only 24/96 I have on my computer at work is NIN's "Ghosts". Gave that a brief listen and the E17 recognized the 24/96 no problem. Sounds UHmazing! I cannot get over the detail. 

Hello, my name is Dean. I am powerless over my addiction to sound quality. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,674 of 6,777
Hurrah!  I got an email this morning from MP4 Nation plus tracking number to let me know they'd been shipped.  Does anyone have a realistic time of when I can expect them in Atlanta, Ga.?  I'm waiting with bated breath.....

confused_face.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,675 of 6,777
i just got my E17 from mp4nation i'm using a ipod classic with plugging in to AUX  plug is thier a big differance in  which port one plugs into.USB,OPT or SPDIF.
thanks

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,678 of 6,777
Well, Although it is a bit disappointing that I've no luck in making the T989 v. of GSII workable with E17, I've had the E17 plugged into my PC and o boy...

With Westone 4R, setting at 0 gain, +2 bass, I felt nowhere as fatigued listening to music as I was before (using x-fi xtreme music -> Gigaworks S750 7.1 ->Westone 4R before). 
Noted unveiling for the mids is something that I really don't expect for this little black box. What wizardry is this... 

Realistically speaking, we are not likely to tap even the 96k/24bit potential of the unit that often, nevermind the [size=small]192K/24bit. If this unit can interoperate with any Android mobile device (it already does with Apple devices and laptops), we can turn any mobile device into instant listening rig. [/size]

[size=small]I think it may not be an understatement to say that the Fiio E17 may come to 80% mark of what dedicated DAC with dedicated Amp can achieve. It would be ridiculous to drive LCD-3 with this alone, but if someone is desperate to hear something on a laptop and has, for some odd reason, a D2000, get E17 in ASAP.  [/size]
 ​
[size=small]Another way of using the E17 is to use it as a testing equipment to check connections. As you can run optical into this thing, one can walk about an AV rack and check signals using a headphone and this little wonder.  (Add HDMI into the next one Fiio!)[/size]​

I think this is what it's meant for a portable casual listening setup. With a laptop, you can field deploy with even DT880 250 ohm, set to +6 (as the hiss is very, very low) and off you go in some airport lounge... USB and optical out I think eliminate the need for high-dollar silver/copper wires (especially for its price range), making it very appealing for the 100% solid state crowd (which I am a part of).

Well done Fiio! 

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,679 of 6,777
Okay, so I'm kinda confused on the set-up here.  E17 docked to E9 is supposed to use the DAC from the E17 and amplify the output via E9.  Does that work only when using the SPDIF/Coax inputs on top of the E17, only when using the USB in back of the E9 or what?

In order to get a signal from iPhone to E17, I can't also have it docked, I've found, and if I use line input on back of E9 from iPhone, the signal doesn't pass thru the docked E17 at all (I assume) because there is no change in SQ if I pull the E17 out of the dock when a song is playing.  Yes, I've turned on/off the Line Out Bypass toggle on the side to no effect.

I have L7, L8, L9 and L10 interconnects plus the optical wires Micca store included and I can't figure a way to use iPhone as source and still run the signal through both products, docked or otherwise, with the cables I have now.  Anyone have a similar issue/solution?

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #2,680 of 6,777
At this moment, I think it may be better to setup pregain over the source laptop and then fed it over to E17, then straight to out... for the time being, unless if your headphones must use the E9. 

From the way how I'm reading it, you will get 96k/24bit by USB laptop->E9->E17->E9->headphones. I think you may need to run optical->E17->E9->Headphones to take advantage of the 192k/24bits, although I am not sure if that's worthwhile route...

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #2,681 of 6,777
Don't have my xbox with me at the moment but was wondering if I could use my E17 with my xbox 360? Plug an optical cable from xbox to Fiio...

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,682 of 6,777
Yes, you should, but 360 really won't come close to tapping the potentials of the E17 in gaming audio. I tested the optical out from HDTV->E17, with very positive results.

EDIT: Do pay attention to setup box settings though. You need to feed stereo signals to E17. Surround won't work with E17.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,683 of 6,777

Quote:
Well, Although it is a bit disappointing that I've no luck in making the T989 v. of GSII workable with E17, I've had the E17 plugged into my PC and o boy...

With Westone 4R, setting at 0 gain, +2 bass, I felt nowhere as fatigued listening to music as I was before (using x-fi xtreme music -> Gigaworks S750 7.1 ->Westone 4R before). 
Noted unveiling for the mids is something that I really don't expect for this little black box. What wizardry is this... 

Realistically speaking, we are not likely to tap even the 96k/24bit potential of the unit that often, nevermind the [size=small]192K/24bit. If this unit can interoperate with any Android mobile device (it already does with Apple devices and laptops), we can turn any mobile device into instant listening rig. [/size]

[size=small]I think it may not be an understatement to say that the Fiio E17 may come to 80% mark of what dedicated DAC with dedicated Amp can achieve. It would be ridiculous to drive LCD-3 with this alone, but if someone is desperate to hear something on a laptop and has, for some odd reason, a D2000, get E17 in ASAP.  [/size]
 ​
[size=small]Another way of using the E17 is to use it as a testing equipment to check connections. As you can run optical into this thing, one can walk about an AV rack and check signals using a headphone and this little wonder.  (Add HDMI into the next one Fiio!)[/size]​

I think this is what it's meant for a portable casual listening setup. With a laptop, you can field deploy with even DT880 250 ohm, set to +6 (as the hiss is very, very low) and off you go in some airport lounge... USB and optical out I think eliminate the need for high-dollar silver/copper wires (especially for its price range), making it very appealing for the 100% solid state crowd (which I am a part of).

Well done Fiio! 

Hmm..I'm not hearing ANY hiss at all with my DT880 250ohm...  even set to +12 gain.  What am I missing out on?   :p

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2,684 of 6,777

Quote:
Got my Alpen yesterday and have played with it a little bit.  I like it so far.  The one thing I have noticed that using it in with my ipod classic as a portable rig is that there is only one place that you can strap it together.  It interferes with the ipod controls and that is a little pain in the butt.  Minor detail but it is the one thing that stood out to me from beginning.

a few pages back there are pics of my ipod video and E17.  I don't find that it interferes with anything....well one rubber band hides the source button on the E17 (but I just press the rubber band) because that's the only button that's hidden.  The other rubber band is lower on both units and only covers a part of the play button on the iPod, but I can easily press it and also still scroll circularly without the lower rubber band interfering. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2,685 of 6,777

Quote:
a few pages back there are pics of my ipod video and E17.  I don't find that it interferes with anything....well one rubber band hides the source button on the E17 (but I just press the rubber band) because that's the only button that's hidden.  The other rubber band is lower on both units and only covers a part of the play button on the iPod, but I can easily press it and also still scroll circularly without the lower rubber band interfering. 

Yeah, check my avatar, I strapped it to my iphone with no interference (w/ the E17's controls--obviously the iphones screen is somewhat covered, but not in a way that interfere's with control:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back