FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,656 of 6,777

Quote:
Hmmm I didn't know they had rockbox for android.... I can't find it in the market. I'm curious how it is better.

You don't find rockbox in market as its still in 'beta' stage. You can download it from the below link

http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

Rockbox in my galaxy s2 sounds a bit more cleaner than any other player. You will feel it but definitely not when compared to Clip+

And another thing I noticed, with my Sennheiser HD202 I could not find much difference between Rockbox-Galaxy S2 and Clip+ but I could see clear difference when I use Brainwavz M2. I guess impedance is the main reason

Could anyone please let me know your thoughts on this?

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,657 of 6,777
LOL That was it! The HOLD button was engaged...OK...I'm not the only one it happened to! Thanks guys!

This little unit is hands down amazing! First through my Senn HD 25's, and then through my UE TF10's...holy crap! They totally opened up the soundstage...it's made amazing earpieces sound even better!

Way to go Fiio!

Steve from NYC

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,658 of 6,777

Quote:
You don't find rockbox in market as its still in 'beta' stage. You can download it from the below link

Rockbox in my galaxy s2 sounds a bit more cleaner than any other player. You will feel it but definitely not when compared to Clip+

And another thing I noticed, with my Sennheiser HD202 I could not find much difference between Rockbox-Galaxy S2 and Clip+ but I could see clear difference when I use Brainwavz M2. I guess impedance is the main reason

Shockingly, the impedance on Brainwavz is just 20 ohms compared to the 32 ohms of the HD202's.  The sensitivity is rated the same, 115db/1mW.  So yes, it is indeed the impedance.  Interference will be more obvious on the Brainwavz, they will be very unforgiving of the source.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2,659 of 6,777
So what you guys think is better?  HD600 with E9 alone on a computer with bad dac or HD600 with E17 alone on a ipod touch?  I already got the E9 and I've already ordered E17 through miccastore so I'm gonna have and use both but just curious which one is better.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,660 of 6,777
Just received my E17 today and wanted to say how happy I am with the Micca store delivery and customer service.  Just getting into the E17, but I can tell already that this is  a great buy....  And yes, it's true, the delivery tracking mechanism leaves a little to be desired, but this was one prompt shipment and fast delivery.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,661 of 6,777

Quote:
So what you guys think is better?  HD600 with E9 alone on a computer with bad dac or HD600 with E17 alone on a ipod touch?  I already got the E9 and I've already ordered E17 through miccastore so I'm gonna have and use both but just curious which one is better.

well you can connect the e17 too the computer via usb, and too the ipod with a 3.5 to 3.5 cable via the aux port on the e17, then put the low bypass switch on and have a 3.5 to 3.5 cable go too the e9. I have herd its not that great docked on the e9 but you can still doc it on the e9 like the e7 could.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,662 of 6,777
I tried docking it with a E9 for a short period of time...
I wouldn't call it 'not that great docked', but the sound is definitely different.

I found it to have more bass punch/impact... warmer, with more body.
Could just be me and the specific setup I used (paired with Q701), and frankly for that headphone I prefer the docked combo.

Once again, I only tried this for like 20 minutes total (comparing direct out of laptop vs. only E17 vs. E17 docked to E9), but those were my short impressions.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #2,663 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

Shockingly, the impedance on Brainwavz is just 20 ohms compared to the 32 ohms of the HD202's.  The sensitivity is rated the same, 115db/1mW.  So yes, it is indeed the impedance.  Interference will be more obvious on the Brainwavz, they will be very unforgiving of the source.

hmm...well, it'd be surprising to me if it could sound more clear than wolfson + voodoo and another player.  What I love so much about poweramp is all the really useable features such as adjustable crossfading, locker player controls, music pauses when you pull headphones and resumes when you plug back in, super easy to organize music with just folders, and all the other features any mp3 player should have. 

As for soundstage and TF10.....It could be just me, but as good as they sound with the E17, I feel like they had quite a bit better soundstage with galaxy s (nexus s...wolfson + voodoo).  I think the voodoo not only optimizes the wolfson, but has maybe a cleaning up effect that might be similar to what BBE does.  Anyway, enough harping on about wolfson + voodoo :p 

Really loving the E17 --not sure how I would improve upon it. There's really nothing left to be desired for me...  The interface is just a TINY bit awkward to use, but you get used to it quick.  I heard the E7 has a really bad interface--E17 is not bad at all--just not intuitive to someone who just picks it up for the first time.. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,664 of 6,777
Those of you trying USB audio on your phones, are you doubly sure you're using the right OTG cable and powered USB hub?

I thought of a hack the other day that I may try out when I get around to installing CM. I'm wondering if you cut the power lines on a USB cable and left the signal lines alone if it would get rid of the need for a powered hub for devices such as the E17 with an internal battery.

You might find this thread useful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579365/usb-headphone-amp-with-android-phones-possible/

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #2,665 of 6,777
Well, the OTG lines that we typically cannot really supply power.  I found that I couldn't use a mouse that draw power, while a wireless mouse's transmitter works happily with the USB host. 

When I was testing the E17, I disabled USB charging. I guess it does confirm that not all Cyanogenmod 7 kernel would work... even if host mode is available across the board. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #2,667 of 6,777

Quote:
hmm...well, it'd be surprising to me if it could sound more clear than wolfson + voodoo and another player.  What I love so much about poweramp is all the really useable features such as adjustable crossfading, locker player controls, music pauses when you pull headphones and resumes when you plug back in, super easy to organize music with just folders, and all the other features any mp3 player should have. 

As for soundstage and TF10.....It could be just me, but as good as they sound with the E17, I feel like they had quite a bit better soundstage with galaxy s (nexus s...wolfson + voodoo).  I think the voodoo not only optimizes the wolfson, but has maybe a cleaning up effect that might be similar to what BBE does.  Anyway, enough harping on about wolfson + voodoo :p 

Really loving the E17 --not sure how I would improve upon it. There's really nothing left to be desired for me...  The interface is just a TINY bit awkward to use, but you get used to it quick.  I heard the E7 has a really bad interface--E17 is not bad at all--just not intuitive to someone who just picks it up for the first time.. 

Wolfson + Voodoo will definitely sound better (miles ahead) than Galaxy S2 + Rockbox. I'm just comparing Galaxy S2+ Rockbox and Galaxy S2+Poweramp

Also can you tell me which is better between Wolfson + Voodoo and E17 with any audio source via USB?

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2,668 of 6,777
What bass frequencies does the Alpen boost? The same subbass regions as E11?

I like what the E11 does to the nice subbass rumble, but sometimes the bass get's a bit muddy. Is this also the case with E17?

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2,669 of 6,777
What bass frequencies does the Alpen boost? The same subbass regions as E11?

I like what the E11 does to the nice subbass rumble, but sometimes the bass get's a bit muddy. Is this also the case with E17?

Read the first page?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #2,670 of 6,777
Mine just arrived in work, have to say i'm very happy with it :p 

+1 to fiio for making such an amazing product :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back