FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,611 of 6,777
Hey everyone.  I will say that I have found my music nirvana with the HE400 and the new Fiio E17.  I have the E6 and E7 but the E17 really brings the best out of the HE400.  I did try some HD650's and thought they were good but I always felt that with the right amp the HE400's would be better and boy, was I right!  Now I have been plugging every kind of headphone in to the E17 just to compare and discovered that dynamic drivers are not as amp sensitive as orthos (I noticed an improvement with the E17 and the HD650 but not NEARLY as big a change as with the HE400).  Don't give the HE400's a bad rap if you don't have the right amp.

Plugging in the E17 into my laptop gives me fantastic results too.

Bottom line.....without question the best bang for your buck is the HE400 and E17 combo.  I doubt anyone will have any major complaints.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,612 of 6,777
Depends on whether you have 'USB CHG" set to ON or OFF in the E17 menu. If it's on the E17 will be charging and working at the same time unless if it is fully charged (light switch is solid blue). I think it's OK to leave it set to on, but also a good idea to let it run using the internal battery (Usb chg off) once in a while, at least once a week or so. See also JetJock's battery comment above.

Quote:
If you dock an E17 on top of an E9, does the E17 draw power and charge its battery constantly? (i.e., would leaving an E17 perma-docked on an E9 affect the life of the E17's battery?)

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,613 of 6,777
Hi everyone after carefully comparing the E7 and E17 side by side with the same source material on the same headphones I can honestly say the E17 has the chops. It gives you that kick drum kick in my dt770 almost as authoritative as the E9 and that is saying something from a portable. Not yet used the opt input yet will try on my PS3 or my old reference DVD Player 

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,617 of 6,777

Quote:
any more opinions?

To drive them, yes.

To wake them up from the old days when they were the Kings of all Headphones, no.

You need to hear compare the amps yourself to see the difference, and justify whether it is small enough. I might go with the E17 first, attend meets/trial higher end amps. Then when you find something you believe to be worth the money, sell the E17 for a little cost.

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,618 of 6,777
I use samsung galaxy s2 with se215, is it good if I use it with fiio e17
Or should I buy a new player like hm 601 slim
Because I feel that samsung really lack of power and soundstage
Btw I'm not basshead, and ussually I listen to pop, jazz and rock
Music format is Flac and wav

Thx before for answering this really newbie question

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,619 of 6,777
Im planning on getting the E17 this week. I'll be ordering tomorrow but i still have some concerns hopefully someone here could help me with. Im pretty new to audiophile music quality, but using my Sennheiser IE80 on my laptop with integrated sound card (realtek) sounds pretty amazing. Very detailed and clear. But like i mentioned, im new to this level of quality, so im not sure if this is the max potential for these IEMs or if they can do better. Does anyone think the E17 could provide better sound compared with my laptop? 

Looking forward to some thoughts, i havent come across many on this site with both the E17 and IE80..

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,620 of 6,777
@ ALKAID, I tried comparing my Galaxy S2 and Clip+ with Brainwavz M2 and Galaxy S2 is not even eligible for comparison. Clip+ is miles ahead. Galaxy S2's main problem is with its Yamaha DAC and the signal path. Its worst. If you are going to use E17 with Galaxy S2 using headphone out then i don't think there will be any major difference

I'm waiting for USB Audio out feature in Galaxy S2. Once thats out then I can connect S2 with E17 via USB thereby using Galaxy S2's nice UI and FIIO's DAC/Amp (best of both worlds)

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,621 of 6,777
@ ALKAID, I tried comparing my Galaxy S2 and Clip+ with Brainwavz M2 and Galaxy S2 is not even eligible for comparison. Clip+ is miles ahead. Galaxy S2's main problem is with its Yamaha DAC and the signal path. Its worst. If you are going to use E17 with Galaxy S2 using headphone out then i don't think there will be any major difference

I'm waiting for USB Audio out feature in Galaxy S2. Once thats out then I can connect S2 with E17 via USB thereby using Galaxy S2's nice UI and FIIO's DAC/Amp (best of both worlds)

@ visanj : yeah I have compare my sgs2 with sansaa clip and sansa sound better than my sgs2,
So the problem is the dac then, btw what if you use fio e17 with ipod 4g ( this question coming from my friend )

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,624 of 6,777
Your expectations must be in-lines with current source, if you already have good source (Dell XPS with creative sound card for example) then E17 may not be huge gain.

I order on Jan 12 and received on Aug 2, followed this thread all along and my expectations peaked more than ALPEN itself. when I go it, I was disappointed upfront and with few more days was able notice the difference and appreciate E17 better. E17 is much more clean and clear than my Dell XPS.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2,625 of 6,777

Quote:

@ALKAID, I don't have any ipods unfortunately but I think E17's DAC will always be better than ipod/iphone DAC. Could anyone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Depend on the DAC chip, yes, because WM8740 is expensive, need more power, and big size than other DAC, not to talk it only includes DAC functions without any AD and other features, of course, a better DAC chip not equal better sound quality in sometimes.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back