FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2,596 of 6,777

Thanks for the suggestion, I reset it and noticed it's not the E17 itself. I should have mentioned this before, but I have the E17 docked to the E9 and I checked - the reset to 6dB only happens when the unit is docked with the E9. So somehow the combination creates this default 6dB gain. I should also mention I have the LO bypass in the upper position, meaning I am using the E17 as a preamp, but I don't know whether that makes a difference. It's not a big deal really 'cause I can always reset the gain to 0dB before playback via the E9, but it's just a nuisance. I would rather not have to remember. Anything else I could try?

Quote:
I would reset the unit. Mine does not exhibit this. The gain setting does not reset to 6 everytime on mine. After each turn on and off, it stays at the previous gain I set it at. For volume it is default to 20 everytime you open up the device unless you have "Volume Memory" Turned on.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,597 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I reset it and noticed it's not the E17 itself. I should have mentioned this before, but I have the E17 docked to the E9 and I checked - the reset to 6dB only happens when the unit is docked with the E9. So somehow the combination creates this default 6dB gain. I should also mention I have the LO bypass in the upper position, meaning I am using the E17 as a preamp, but I don't know whether that makes a difference. It's not a big deal really 'cause I can always reset the gain to 0dB before playback via the E9, but it's just a nuisance. I would rather not have to remember. Anything else I could try?

To get it to not reset? I would say no. This is not programmable and has very basic functions. What you get or happens is really what happens. Shoot Fiio (Feiao) on Head-Fi a pm if you want to ask if they can add this into the next(if there is) firmware update.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,599 of 6,777
Anyone else having this problem when docking the E17 to the E9? I'm trying to see if this is something peculiar to my E17 unit, my E9 unit, or the combination as a whole. Obviously if everyone using the combination has the same issue it's probably a firmware issue that Fiio will have to address.

Recap: I reset it and noticed it's not the E17 itself. I should have mentioned this before, but I have the E17 docked to the E9 and I checked - the reset to 6dB only happens when the unit is docked with the E9. So somehow the combination creates this default 6dB gain.

Quote:
To get it to not reset? I would say no. This is not programmable and has very basic functions. What you get or happens is really what happens. Shoot Fiio (Feiao) on Head-Fi a pm if you want to ask if they can add this into the next(if there is) firmware update.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2,600 of 6,777

Quote:
Anyone else having this problem when docking the E17 to the E9? I'm trying to see if this is something peculiar to my E17 unit, my E9 unit, or the combination as a whole. Obviously if everyone using the combination has the same issue it's probably a firmware issue that Fiio will have to address.

Recap: I reset it and noticed it's not the E17 itself. I should have mentioned this before, but I have the E17 docked to the E9 and I checked - the reset to 6dB only happens when the unit is docked with the E9. So somehow the combination creates this default 6dB gain.

This isn't an issue. This is programming. Just like how some users found the fact that you had to double press the volume buttons after a set period of inactivity to be weird. IT was programmed to be like this. I don't know or think FiiO will release an update JUST for this. If enough users with E17 and E9 complain or ask about it then they probably will.(if you ask and say please hard enough 
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,601 of 6,777
Pretty please ...
redface.gif
... with a cherry on top ...
wink_face.gif
? It's a useability issue and probably an oversight on Fiio's part, otherwise they would have let the default gain go back to 6bD each time, even when the unit is undocked. bowei006 if you have the combo could you check to see if this is happening with your combo as well. You can PM me if you want and therefore keep the dastardly truth out of harm's way
biggrin.gif

Quote:
This isn't an issue. This is programming. Just like how some users found the fact that you had to double press the volume buttons after a set period of inactivity to be weird. IT was programmed to be like this. I don't know or think FiiO will release an update JUST for this. If enough users with E17 and E9 complain or ask about it then they probably will.(if you ask and say please hard enough 
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,602 of 6,777

Quote:
My first charge was with my Macbook Pro and that took 5+ hours.

Oh, really? When I first received mine, I ripped open the box and turned it on, looked through the menus, turned it off, charged it for about an hour at which point I couldn't wait any more, turned it on and started listening with my laptop while continuing to charge. By doing this will I have decreased the battery's lifespan / life per charge? It will definitely serve me right if I have. LOL

Also, I'm guessing I should probably turn off USB charging mode and then back on again when the battery is low (instead of letting it constantly top up all the while I'm using it as I of course have it set to now...?)

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,603 of 6,777
@Terja
I do not have the combo. I am not a FiiO fanboy. They will receive any criticism they get to make a better product in the future.

@Daveis the music
Yes that was theoretically "bad" for the battery. How bad?... Very small and uncomparable. Dont worry about it.
Yes for best "technical" life you should charge it with usb charge on or whatever. After its full, if its plugged in to charge. Turn Usb charge off an let it use up.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2,604 of 6,777

Quote:

did you try putting vol memory on? i will give it a try on my e9 give me 15 min or so

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,605 of 6,777

Quote:
Pretty please ...
redface.gif
... with a cherry on top ...
wink_face.gif
? It's a useability issue and probably an oversight on Fiio's part, otherwise they would have let the default gain go back to 6bD each time, even when the unit is undocked. bowei006 if you have the combo could you check to see if this is happening with your combo as well. You can PM me if you want and therefore keep the dastardly truth out of harm's way
biggrin.gif

mine resets too 6 whenever I turn it off and on again docked on a e9 with the lo bypass on

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,606 of 6,777
Hey Sonic Boom thanks for checking. I have volume memory set to on. I also tried toggling the lineout bypass to no avail. Unfortunately the E9 doesn't have a reset pin otherwise I would have tried it. This sounds like something that could easily be fixed with a firmware update unless if it is hardwired. Now there is even more reason for an E9 update ... another long lineup, finger-chewing and wondering when the package will show up, aaiiee ...

Quote:
mine resets too 6 whenever I turn it off and on again docked on a e9 with the lo bypass on

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,607 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes that was theoretically "bad" for the battery. How bad?... Very small and uncomparable. Dont worry about it.
Yes for best "technical" life you should charge it with usb charge on or whatever. After its full, if its plugged in to charge. Turn Usb charge off an let it use up.

Thanks dude, guess I got away with it.

Just noticed my headphones give the TINIEST bit more presence (I'm talking ~0.5%) with USB charging=on. I'd be surprised if most could notice it though. Kind of makes sense with the E17 feeding power from the laptop around its electronics.

My god I've been listening to this thing wayyy too much, almost non-stop since it arrived 
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,608 of 6,777
If you dock an E17 on top of an E9, does the E17 draw power and charge its battery constantly? (i.e., would leaving an E17 perma-docked on an E9 affect the life of the E17's battery?)

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,609 of 6,777

Quote:
One odd thing........ ....was hearing sputtering or white noise sound when I paused the music from my android phone and TF10....mind you this isn't a wolfsorator a good dac at all on my huawei mercury.......and the headphone jack has lots of noise but I took care of it with the sound attenuator on TF10......... So why is there a pretty loud sputtering/white noise sound when pausing music? Is it because the 12db gain is amplifying the noise so much that even the sound attenuator can't filter it out? Haven't tried the phone + dt880 though. No issues with iPod at all

I get some noise I can hear in my IEM's if the wifi is turned on on my iPod Touch 2G.  I turn on Airplane mode or move the E17 off of it and it goes away.  Might be your issue as well.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,610 of 6,777

Quote:

Oh, really? When I first received mine, I ripped open the box and turned it on, looked through the menus, turned it off, charged it for about an hour at which point I couldn't wait any more, turned it on and started listening with my laptop while continuing to charge. By doing this will I have decreased the battery's lifespan / life per charge? It will definitely serve me right if I have. LOL

Also, I'm guessing I should probably turn off USB charging mode and then back on again when the battery is low (instead of letting it constantly top up all the while I'm using it as I of course have it set to now...?)

No, not a problem at all for lithium ion batteries.  In fact, they will last longer if you keep it charged between 1/4 to 3/4 full.  I have a Chevy Volt car with lithium ion batteries and they designed the car to do just that and new laptops have that option (batter life extension mode).  The old days of fully discharging and fully charging were for old nicad and nickel metal hydride batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back