FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2,551 of 6,777

Quote:
With the device off. I would plug it into the computer or a high quality wall USB charger with the cable they provided. DO NOT turn the device on. Is there a red light? If yes. Then leave it there for 30 minutes and turn it on after 30 minutes. IF a red light does not appear in the circular power on and Exit button's outer circle, then plug the E17 and it's cable into another computer/device/wall charger to make sure. If the red light still does not turn on, report back. 

Yep, I left it to charge while I went to run some errands and came back and it's fine. I figured. 

First impressions: It's freaking TINY. I didn't think it was this small from pictures. Sweet. A/Bing my D5000s from my iPhone 4S's 3.5mm jack to the FiiO with LOD shows incredible results. Literally it makes a world of difference, really transforms the cans. Vocals are less sibilant and way more realistic sounding, bass is so much tighter, and the soundstage is way wider I feel. 

So glad I bought one. Such a nicely built little device. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,552 of 6,777

I think it's important for all of us here burning our wallets and using gadgets to explain at what's actually going on with Android and USB external DAC. This is different from LOD, as we're trying to use the USB DAC in the same fashion as we do with Windows machines.

Android phones are not made equal. Some have the ability of connecting peripherals such as USB thumb drives to them and have the phone reading the contents (referred to as USB OTG or USB host). These are the devices that stand any chance of using a USB DAC. However, as it is right now, the low-level drivers and whatnot (the underlying architecture) in the form of kernel, does not include the generic USB Audio driver, which are essential for the operation of USB DACs, or in-car audio via USB.

You need to dabble with coding know-how to implement the missing drivers into Android. Unfortunately for us, adding drivers for Android devices means having the ability to edit the kernel, which vary from the Android version... or from one product to another.

Cyanogenmod 7/9 are important, not because of the interface themselves, but rather, in having those USB Audio drivers embedded within the kernels made for Cyanogenmod. This means that one should be able to use USB DAC functionalities of the Fiio E17 on a phone running on Cyanogenmod 7/9, so long as the phone can read USB thumb drives when you plug the drive to the phone.

It goes without saying that having this external DAC is a superior solution than using Voodoo kernel (which are tailored made for the integrated Wolfson DAC), due to a reduction of interference from onboard electronics, and having more dedicated amplification to drive the audio jack. Moreover, Optical S/PDIF out may become a possibility for Android devices, which... even for the case of E17, would mean 192K goodness.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,553 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
With the device off. I would plug it into the computer or a high quality wall USB charger with the cable they provided. DO NOT turn the device on. Is there a red light? If yes. Then leave it there for 30 minutes and turn it on after 30 minutes. IF a red light does not appear in the circular power on and Exit button's outer circle, then plug the E17 and it's cable into another computer/device/wall charger to make sure. If the red light still does not turn on, report back. 

Yep, I left it to charge while I went to run some errands and came back and it's fine. I figured. 

First impressions: It's freaking TINY. I didn't think it was this small from pictures. Sweet. A/Bing my D5000s from my iPhone 4S's 3.5mm jack to the FiiO with LOD shows incredible results. Literally it makes a world of difference, really transforms the cans. Vocals are less sibilant and way more realistic sounding, bass is so much tighter, and the soundstage is way wider I feel. 

So glad I bought one. Such a nicely built little device. 

Mine arrived!!!  I think we both got the MINI fiio E17.   This thing is about 60% or 50% of how big and heavy I thought this was gonna be.  It is TINY....!  All the pics made it look like it was at least the size of a thick iPhone....     I'll have an easier time recommending the E11 to my friends as well, since it's about the same size. 

Really looking forward to powering on this little guy.  Gotta hand it to miccastore again.  Free ground shipping--ordered on Monday morning.  Ship confirmation about 4 hours later...and arrived the same week on Friday :D  They even changed (at my request) my L1 to an L9 for no extra charge...came with the free Fiio t-shirt and toslink cable :D

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2,554 of 6,777

Quote:
Mine arrived!!!  I think we both got the MINI fiio E17.   This thing is about 60% or 50% of how big and heavy I thought this was gonna be.  It is TINY....!  All the pics made it look like it was at least the size of a thick iPhone....     I'll have an easier time recommending the E11 to my friends as well, since it's about the same size. 

Really looking forward to powering on this little guy.  Gotta hand it to miccastore again.  Free ground shipping--ordered on Monday morning.  Ship confirmation about 4 hours later...and arrived the same week on Friday :D  They even changed (at my request) my L1 to an L9 for no extra charge...came with the free Fiio t-shirt and toslink cable :D

That was EXACTLY my first impressions as well. My photo's I have posted make it look big.. . Anyway, I'll be waiting for what you think :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2,555 of 6,777
Yeah, I really thought it was the size of an iPhone-ish, but it's about half an inch narrower and an inch shorter than my iPod touch, although it's about as thick as I was expecting, maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2,556 of 6,777

Quote:
Yeah, I really thought it was the size of an iPhone-ish, but it's about half an inch narrower and an inch shorter than my iPod touch, although it's about as thick as I was expecting, maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Judging from your avatar, I think you might like this.  you can even download it.  It's by one of my favorite trance producers--not very well known yet, but really talented.  Check it out :p  There are a lot of praises about it...I really don't understand--never watched My Little Pony ever...but it's actually a really good sounding trance remix--hahaha

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfyzsJutTv4

Non-My little pony stuff that I was floored by when I first discovered him:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYJ65si6i0

and 
  --- the first 30 seconds or so...I've been begging JayB to make it into a full track. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,557 of 6,777

Quote:
Judging from your avatar, I think you might like this.  you can even download it.  It's by one of my favorite trance producers--not very well known yet, but really talented.  Check it out :p  There are a lot of praises about it...I really don't understand--never watched My Little Pony ever...but it's actually a really good sounding trance remix--hahaha

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfyzsJutTv4

Non-My little pony stuff that I was floored by when I first discovered him:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYJ65si6i0

and 30 seconds or so...I've been begging JayB to make it into a full track. 

Lol that's great, thanks.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2,558 of 6,777

Quote:

First impressions: It's freaking TINY

Yeah this... The pictures showing it next to the ipod/iphone are definitely deceiving. Mines been charging for about 3 hours, is that normal for a device new out the box?

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,559 of 6,777

Quote:

Yeah this... The pictures showing it next to the ipod/iphone are definitely deceiving. Mines been charging for about 3 hours, is that normal for a device new out the box?

IT depends on where you have it plugged in. If it's into your computer, it depends on your USB port. Some USB ports don't give enough power(more common on laptops). IF you have it plugged into a wall charger, the circuitry of the USB Wall Charger and how much it allocates for power also matter.

My first charge was with my Macbook Pro and that took 5+ hours. I have since learned and now only charge it with my desktop(3 hours) or USB wall charger(3hrs). Be sure to use a high quality USB wall charger if you choose to do so. High Quality(think Apple USB Wall charger units)  as in, don't buy the cheap ones. This is for optimal life and performance. Buying and using a cheap one of ebay won't fry your device or anything(probably, it depends on each unit and how it was made etc) but it might have an effect on battery life in the long run.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2,560 of 6,777
first impression...........WOW.  a jaw-dropping WOW....!   

So far I have only tried Line out from iPod 5.5g via L9 cable to E17....+ DT880 250ohm.........    I'm very pleasantly surprised.....my pretty high expectations exceeded......!!    It was on 6db gain by default which was sounded impressive....and I would have been pretty satisfied with that
then I set it to 12dB..... I'm pretty sure DT880s are fully driven with this.  No distortion that I can hear, either.  Awesome :-D

Very impressed with the bass boost as well.  Everything sounds tight and lively--best way I can describe it :-D 

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but...is it the best to have 100% volume on the source?  I think I remember Bowei saying that.  Actually, with LOD, it doesn't matter...(which is the only thing I've tried so far).

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,561 of 6,777

Quote:
IT depends on where you have it plugged in. If it's into your computer, it depends on your USB port. Some USB ports don't give enough power(more common on laptops). IF you have it plugged into a wall charger, the circuitry of the USB Wall Charger and how much it allocates for power also matter.

My first charge was with my Macbook Pro and that took 5+ hours. I have since learned and now only charge it with my desktop(3 hours) or USB wall charger(3hrs). Be sure to use a high quality USB wall charger if you choose to do so. High Quality(think Apple USB Wall charger units)  as in, don't buy the cheap ones. This is for optimal life and performance. Buying and using a cheap one of ebay won't fry your device or anything(probably, it depends on each unit and how it was made etc) but it might have an effect on battery life in the long run.

Thanks! I switched from usb charging off of the front port of my computer to my Droid wall charge. I think that should be quality enough right? ( I do have an iphone charger I could also try)

It's comforting to hear it took someone else about that long on first try so thanks again, I was just worried that this was abnormal. I guess I'm used to devices coming mostly charged that take no longer than an hour to top off. After waiting so long for this thing I suppose I can wait a little longer. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,562 of 6,777

Quote:
first impression...........WOW.  a jaw-dropping WOW....!   

So far I have only tried Line out from iPod 5.5g via L9 cable to E17....+ DT880 250ohm.........    I'm very pleasantly surprised.....my pretty high expectations exceeded......!!    It was on 6db gain by default which was sounded impressive....and I would have been pretty satisfied with that
then I set it to 12dB..... I'm pretty sure DT880s are fully driven with this.  No distortion that I can hear, either.  Awesome :-D

Very impressed with the bass boost as well.  Everything sounds tight and lively--best way I can describe it :-D 

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but...is it the best to have 100% volume on the source?  I think I remember Bowei saying that.  Actually, with LOD, it doesn't matter...(which is the only thing I've tried so far).

IT is recommended to have a source(that doesn't have a Line Out option) set to 90%to 100% volume with no gain enabled(some PMP's have gain options) having DSP and EQ is not recommend for most unless you enjoy it. I just say no EQ and DSP's or sound "enhancers" as they call it as some newcommers have them enabled and don't know what they do. If you know what it is and like the DSP or enhancement then keep it on. Just leave gain at 0(if you have the option) and make the volume 90% to 100%. I have heard of many, but personally I would just set it to 100%. Setting the initial source to a lower than 100% volume could as they say "cut" bits or quality resolution out of the actual song or music. This is known, but on a PMP? I'm not sure if it does the same thing. So just set it to 100%

If you are using with LOD...yeah it doesn't matter.

Quote:

Thanks! I switched from usb charging off of the front port of my computer to my Droid wall charge. I think that should be quality enough right? ( I do have an iphone charger I could also try)

It's comforting to hear it took someone else about that long on first try so thanks again, I was just worried that this was abnormal. I guess I'm used to devices coming mostly charged that take no longer than an hour to top off. After waiting so long for this thing I suppose I can wait a little longer. 

Your Droid's should suffice. I was only making a deal of high quality or not to make you aware that their are differences and also a little extra knowledge doesn't hurt.

Those 5 hours were grueling. I got worried and what not. It was really just my Macbook Pro and because I had it on and in use...so even longer.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,563 of 6,777

Quote:

Miccastore, FTW!  I just received my e17, so far I'm in love with it. The sound quality off my iPod/PC improved ten-fold. The bass on my D2000 is a lot tighter, improved mids.   Micca's shipping is pretty darn fast.. plus they give you so many goodies. I was worried the XL shirt was going to fit big, but it fits perfect(medium fit).  

When used with an iPod is the Lod bypass suppose to be in the lower or upper position? I'm using the L9 cable.  

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #2,564 of 6,777

Quote:
Miccastore, FTW!  I just received my e17, so far I'm in love with it. The sound quality off my iPod/PC improved ten-fold. The bass on my D2000 is a lot tighter, improved mids.   Micca's shipping is pretty darn fast.. plus they give you so many goodies. I was worried the XL shirt was going to fit big, but it fits perfect(medium fit).  

When used with an iPod is the Lod bypass suppose to be in the lower or upper position? I'm using the L9 cable.  

IT doesn't matter unless you are using with an E9. That switch is for docking purposes.

If you will be using with E9 the instructions are in the review, I'll quote them here:

There is also a ‘LO Bypass’ switch on the right side. In the lower position (close to the words), Alpen will be in its default mode to output line level signal (fixed level, no EQ) when docked (to E9 or L7). In the upper position, Alpen will output pre-amp signal instead. In pre-amp mode, volume control and EQ will affect the output when docked.  If you don’t have any particular reason, I’ll suggest you leave the LO Bypass to the default line-out mode. If you do want the EQ to stay on the LO (LO Bypass enable), I will suggest you set Alpen to zero gain and max out on the volume (6dB gain is fine as well).  Use what even amp you are going to pair with Alpen to control volume and gain.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,565 of 6,777

Quote:
IT doesn't matter unless you are using with an E9. That switch is for docking purposes.

If you will be using with E9 the instructions are in the review, I'll quote them here:

Thanks for the help! I read the instructions of Fiio's website but wasn't exactly sure.

Also has anyone tried running the e17 through s/pdif at 192hz? When I try the audio crackles.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back