FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,461 of 6,777

Quote:
Have you tried using the USB rather than the SPDIF? If so, could you give a brief impression between the two?

There should be no difference between the two since in both cases the E17 is acting as DAC, but I only briefly tested it and didn't notice a difference.  I definitely notice a difference between the X-Fi and E9 via analog versus the E7+E9 USB combo, E7+E9 sounded much better but no nice creative DSP effects in games.

Now I get the best of both worlds.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2,463 of 6,777

Quote:
Anyone have more experience with D2000s/D5000s with the E17? I'm getting worried I made a snap decision on my order a few days ago...waiting in anticipation.

I wouldn't be to worried about your snap decision. If it turns out the performance is not great, there would be no problem selling the E17 at full if not near full value. It is a really hot item right now.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,464 of 6,777

I've not been impressed with mp4nation's handling of this preorder at all. My order still hasn't been shipped out despite reassurance that it would have gone out on Monday, and now they're saying it might not be out until next week due to extended Easter holiday in Hong Kong...

Either way, I'll be excited to try this little thing out. This is my first foray into this type of audio equipment so I look forward to the experience. I'm only using Senn. HD555's right now, but even so I'm sure the listening experience will be nicely improved.

I agree with you. Mp4nation still has not told me whether or not they have shipped out my preorder. I didn't want to risk ordering from miccastore and returning it with a restocking fee, so i am still waiting on mp4nation. Also, they decided to take an "easter" break out of nowhere without any forewarning, and it looks like i won't get mine until late next week. Frankly, i have never seen something handled so poorly by a company. Mp4nation will never be getting business from me again. Next time i buy anything fiio, i'm going with miccastore. My neighbor ordered one from them, got a tracking email 1 hour later, and it will ship by thursday. I ordered mine over 2 months ago, and i still don't even know what the status of it is. Im very dissapointed in mp4nation. It's just delay after delay after delay. I should have listened to the people that said they had such horrible customer service. This is a warning for everyone who plans on pre-ordering anything from them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #2,465 of 6,777

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #2,466 of 6,777
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with them. My experience ordering from them has been fine so far.

Is there something wrong with taking an Easter break? Good Friday is this Friday, and then I thought many North American federal services get Easter Sunday moved to Monday as well, giving them a 4 day weekend?

It is not that strange for Hong Kong to take a similar break, is it?
Quote:

I agree with you. Mp4nation still has not told me whether or not they have shipped out my preorder. I didn't want to risk ordering from miccastore and returning it with a restocking fee, so i am still waiting on mp4nation. Also, they decided to take an "easter" break out of nowhere without any forewarning, and it looks like i won't get mine until late next week. Frankly, i have never seen something handled so poorly by a company. Mp4nation will never be getting business from me again. Next time i buy anything fiio, i'm going with miccastore. My neighbor ordered one from them, got a tracking email 1 hour later, and it will ship by thursday. I ordered mine over 2 months ago, and i still don't even know what the status of it is. Im very dissapointed in mp4nation. It's just delay after delay after delay. I should have listened to the people that said they had such horrible customer service. This is a warning for everyone who plans on pre-ordering anything from them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #2,467 of 6,777
Just ordered an E10 a couple days ago (to go with a new pair of Q701s) from Amazon without realizing FiiO was about to release a new model, the E17. However, the E17 is almost double the price of the E10. Should I return my E10 and opt for an E17 or just stick with my E10? Has someone compared the two already?

I see, for example, that the E10 is rated for a power output of 150 mW at 32 ohms and that the E17 is rated for a power output of 215 mW at 32 ohms, but I don't really know if this is a marked improvement or not. :xf_eek: (The Q701s have an impedance of 62 ohms).

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #2,468 of 6,777

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with them. My experience ordering from them has been fine so far.

Is there something wrong with taking an Easter break? Good Friday is this Friday, and then I thought many North American federal services get Easter Sunday moved to Monday as well, giving them a 4 day weekend?

It is not that strange for Hong Kong to take a similar break, is it?

They're also taking wednesday off as well in the midst of all this and working on thursday which is odd. I think the main problem some have is that mp4nation has been sending out the units in a seemingly random order in which some people who order just a few weeks ago are getting there orders shipped while those who ordered a few months still have no idea what the status of their order is. Also they promised a 1-2 day shipping option for fedex which gave an incentive to some, but this is pretty much null since some of the orders are shipping so late.

On another note I received an email when I tried to cancel saying that they already shipped over 24 hours after I ordered from Micca which is why I'm not really happy with mp4nation right now either since I have to find a way to refuse shipping for fedex which I've never done before. Also, still haven't gotten a tracking number for the item which doesn't seem very hard to do since it already shipped.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #2,469 of 6,777

Quote:
Just ordered an E10 a couple days ago (to go with a new pair of Q701s) from Amazon without realizing FiiO was about to release a new model, the E17. However, the E17 is almost double the price of the E10. Should I return my E10 and opt for an E17 or just stick with my E10? Has someone compared the two already?

I see, for example, that the E10 is rated for a power output of 150 mW at 32 ohms and that the E17 is rated for a power output of 215 mW at 32 ohms, but I don't really know if this is a marked improvement or not. :xf_eek: (The Q701s have an impedance of 62 ohms).

Thanks!

Why yes it has been compared to, there's a review by headfonia that's quite short and concise in its comparisons but it should be good enough to give you an idea. Here's the link http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/
There's also some comparisons made against the e10 and e17's sound quality at the first page of this thread, the e17 review itself. Lol

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,470 of 6,777
I am in the same boat. 

I ordered on the 29th of Feb and even now I haven't gotten a word from MP4 Nation about anything. 

I think that their holiday schedule announcement is what made many of the waiting customers indignant. The kind of perception that this gives to us the customers is quite distasteful. 

Here's to hoping that come tomorrow, MP4 Nation would do better to address the shipping fiasco. As I'm in Canada I can't really opt Micca Store... (maybe I should look for Canadian dealers next time)

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2,471 of 6,777

Quote:
I am in the same boat. 

I ordered on the 29th of Feb and even now I haven't gotten a word from MP4 Nation about anything. 

I think that their holiday schedule announcement is what made many of the waiting customers indignant. The kind of perception that this gives to us the customers is quite distasteful. 

Here's to hoping that come tomorrow, MP4 Nation would do better to address the shipping fiasco. As I'm in Canada I can't really opt Micca Store... (maybe I should look for Canadian dealers next time)

I also live in Canada, I ordered my e17 from headphonebar and they shipped within 2 days of payment.
you should give them a try next time. ^^

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2,472 of 6,777
The holidays in this week are very special ones for Chinese people because it is a time to pay respect to the ancestors. While some might take a day or two off, and some might have to take the whole week off depends on how far they have to travel within China where their ancestors are buried. Look at it this way, while many of you are on Easter holidays, FiiO staffs will be working during those days as they don't celebrate Easter...
wink_face.gif

I have no problem with mp4nation as they do get things done. The waiting is painful but it has been huge numbers of orders going through mp4nation. They will have to do a lot of logistic just to post out the stock.

Patient is the way to go!

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #2,473 of 6,777
Is MP4 Nation's website having problems or something? I have tried for the past 75 or so minutes to place an order for the E17 on their site with every credit card, Paypal account, and bank account I possess... to no avail.

Where besides MP4 Nation can this thing be purchased? I just want get an order confirmation email already...

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #2,474 of 6,777

Quote:
Is MP4 Nation's website having problems or something? I have tried for the past 75 or so minutes to place an order for the E17 on their site with every credit card, Paypal account, and bank account I possess... to no avail.

Where besides MP4 Nation can this thing be purchased? I just want get an order confirmation email already...

If you live in the U.S. you could try miccastore as they seem to impress alot of their customers.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2,475 of 6,777

Quote:

Depends what country you're in, there's micca store and head direct for those in the the US. Otherwise this might help you a bit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603892/latest-shipments-of-alpen-e17-update-on-3rd-april

Users who are viewing this thread

Back