FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,101 of 6,777
Just wondering, I plugged my E17 into my PS3 through optical/toslink and tried to play music through my headphones. Now I am unable to get sound at all. It was working perfectly before over USB, but now nothing. Is it possible that i may have fried a transistor or something? The PS3's output was set to 174 KHZ or something, which the E17 is unable to process, I think.
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,102 of 6,777

Quote:
Just wondering, I plugged my E17 into my PS3 through optical/toslink and tried to play music through my headphones. Now I am unable to get sound at all. It was working perfectly before over USB, but now nothing. Is it possible that i may have fried a transistor or something? The PS3's output was set to 174 KHZ or something, which the E17 is unable to process, I think.
confused.gif

Have you tried the hardware reset by disconnecting all cables, turning the unit off and then inserting a pin/thin paperclip into the reset hole on the top, between the headphone and SPDIF input jacks? You can also try doing a software reset to load defaults using the System menu.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,106 of 6,777
Hi All,

Read through this thread and it appears my first question isn't fully answered.

I have the E17 and also the E7.  I also have the E9.  When using the E7 via USB with my iPad using FLAC Player or iPod interface or computer using Foobar, MediaMonkey or iTunes the volume control in the source applications is not available.  However, with the E17 it is available on all and able to be adjusted.  Is this due to how the DAC portion of the unit is implemented or is it not working properly (or is the E7 DAC not working properly)?  When I introduce the E9, there is no change to any of what I explain above.  Furthermore, when I connect the E17 via LOD, the volume controls on all of them go away.

My second question is one that has got me very concerned.  After having the E17 for a little over a week and working perfectly in what I'm about to describe, all of a sudden when playing hi-res audio via FLAC Player on my iPad, there is a crackling sound - almost like distortion but not quite.  I believe I narrowed it down to two possibilities.  It is either the hi-res DAC or FLAC Player. 

Here is how I trouble shooted.  Used LOD to E17 using FLAC player - no distortion; used iPod interface on iPad - no distortion; changed USB cables - no affect, still there; took E9 in and out of the path, no affect, still there; did a Software reset - no affect; did a hard reset - no affect.  Any help would be appreciated!!  This is the main reason I bought the unit - to take full advantage of my hi-res music.

When I get home tonight I plan to do two things.  First I will try the E7 using FLAC Player via USB.  Then I will also check on my computer using Foobar, MediaMonkey and iTunes to see if it still may be FLAC Player.  I did update my iPad firmware last night and haven't tried FLAC Player until now.  Fingers are crossed that this is the culprit.  Also, I plan to check to see if the S/PDIF path is impacted.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,108 of 6,777
Whether the volume is software adjustable is controlled by the USB receiver chip on E7 and E17 (which are two different chips). With E7, the volume control function is disable. With E17, the function is not disable. Software volume control tends to lower the digital resolution of the music, and thus it is best not to use it.

The 2nd issue is usually driver related with high resolution / bitrate music, meaning the driver between the iPad and E17 is not communicating correctly. Check E17 with other source (PC, Mac, etc) to confirm. If E17 sounds fine with other source, then the problem is likely on the iPad.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #2,110 of 6,777

Quote:
Whether the volume is software adjustable is controlled by the USB receiver chip on E7 and E17 (which are two different chips). With E7, the volume control function is disable. With E17, the function is not disable. Software volume control tends to lower the digital resolution of the music, and thus it is best not to use it.

The 2nd issue is usually driver related with high resolution / bitrate music, meaning the driver between the iPad and E17 is not communicating correctly. Check E17 with other source (PC, Mac, etc) to confirm. If E17 sounds fine with other source, then the problem is likely on the iPad.

Thanks for the timely reply ClieOS!!

So are you saying the USB receiver implementation on the E17 is inferior to the implementation on the E7?  If that is true, why would Fiio choose to do that on a higher quality product?

For the second issue, I plan to do just what you suggest.  I wonder if Apple updated it's drivers in the new firmware update I installed last night.  It seems odd that they would do so, UNLESS, the new iPads can play hi-res music because the internal DAC is able to do so, and they needed to update the drivers to make it work.   I'm hoping it is firmware related and also hoping Apple or the developer of FLAC Player are able to address it.  Do you think since I am not getting the noise when playing other music from my iPad via USB that the DAC can be ruled out entirely or does the DAC work differently depending on the bit rate?

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2,111 of 6,777
He everybody,      (     yeah I know about my wallet  :))   )
I'm new on this forum. I've read the hole thing (140+ pages).
I've ordered the E17 about a month ago 'in the Netherlands' (after sending back my E7, I did like it but I read about the E17 wich would improve sound even more :wink: ).
I bought it together with a HD 598 (wich sounds great). I was wondering what are the pros and cons if you compare the E17 vs (let say a) Asus Xonar Essence STX (onboard)? (I don't mean the obvious things like portability). But more the cons for gaming (especialy). I'm going to use it (probably a bit more for listening to music, than movies and games). I don't know any technical terms, so if it could be explained in practical terms (what you actualy will hear and notice) that would be great.

Also I read the following:
Fiio E17: Frequency response:10Hz~100KHz[AMP]; 10Hz~20KHz[DAC]
HD 598: Minimale frequentie 12Hz;  Maximale frequentie 38,5kHz 
Does this mean I will only hear untill 20KHz, eventhough mu headset can go till 38,5kHz?
Also is the small k vs the big K meaning a diferent thing? (I only found it's supposed to be meaning the samen thing).

Thanks for answering my question.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2,112 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks for the timely reply ClieOS!!

So are you saying the USB receiver implementation on the E17 is inferior to the implementation on the E7?  If that is true, why would Fiio choose to do that on a higher quality product?

For the second issue, I plan to do just what you suggest.  I wonder if Apple updated it's drivers in the new firmware update I installed last night.  It seems odd that they would do so, UNLESS, the new iPads can play hi-res music because the internal DAC is able to do so, and they needed to update the drivers to make it work.   I'm hoping it is firmware related and also hoping Apple or the developer of FLAC Player are able to address it.  Do you think since I am not getting the noise when playing other music from my iPad via USB that the DAC can be ruled out entirely or does the DAC work differently depending on the bit rate?

While it is always better not to adjust volume digitally, it is hard for average consumer to understand why they are not allow to use it. So it the end, it is just reason of convenience to let the user to decide how to use it. The USB implementation on E17 is every bit better than that of E7, just adding another option to make everyone happy because digital volume control seems like a better feature for average Joe than better resolution, especially since most don't understand resolution correctly.

If normal resolution music plays fine on iPad + E17, then it is almost certainly an issue of driver.

@BlancoTheBull - Human hearing only goes up to 20kHz on average when you are very young, tend to drop below 18kHz when you are adult and below 16kHz (or much worst) as you get old. Don't get confused by the number manufacturer put out - you are neither superman or a bat to hearing anything over 20kHz.

Also, all music are recorded within 20Hz ~ 20kHz, nothing more.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,113 of 6,777
Was able to run home and grab my E7.

Tried using FLAC Player with it and there is no crackle.  Now I'm getting concerned.  Is my E17 damaged?  Or, can it still be a driver issue since the E7 cannot play over 48K resolution?

I still have some troubleshooting to do when I get home using Foobar and MediaMonkey on my computer.

Thanks for calrifying how the digital volume control works.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,114 of 6,777
You are overthinking the whole situation - of course E7 won't have any issue since it only play 16/48 at most. Your FLAC player just downsample when used with E7. Ain't you problem related to hi-res files and E17? Using E7 normally really proves nothing.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,115 of 6,777
OK, I thought that may be the case.

Just to clarify, the E17 did work fine at playing my hi-res files via FLAC Player up until this morning.  Only change is I updated the OS software on my iPad to iOS 5.1 last night.  I am almost certain the update is the culprit.  I just have a nervous feeling it may be due to me possibly rough handling the E17.  I don't think I have done that, but want to make sure.  At this point I think the only way to be certain is to test it using my computer with hi-res files.

I'll be certain to let everyone know after I test this later this evening.

Thanks ClieOS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back