FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,087 of 6,777

Quote:
The pink SPDIF was only used in the prototype, and ClieOS has mentioned a few times. So it's normal.

Shouldn't they update the pics on official site ?

Still haven't got any answer for second issue.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,088 of 6,777

Quote:
I got this problem with some IEMs like RE-0 and e-Q5.

E17 at high gain. And if I go beyond Volume 34 both will start making noise like "kirrrrr".

While i can increase the volume in foobar all the way up without any disturbance.

Source is Asus Xonar STX via RCA, foobar ASIO.

It doesn't happen if I use FUZE+ as source.

Also, Fiio E17's spdif port is black and not the pink one as shown on Fiio website:

pink in the pics is on demo units. regular production is a blakc S/PDIF port. i get the same hiss or kk on high gain. please note all ur questions haev been asked before and answered...i would not expect you to have read. that is built in by design..well not built in, but because of the digital design, that is naturally occuring by design. on medium and low gain mode, i either don't meet this problem or it quickly corrects itself(bad terms) and disappears but on high gain i meet this problem sometimes. when it happens you have to increase the volume up until it stop and drop back down...please note..if you accidentl press play while doing this..you might blow your earbuds.....and maybe damage hearing. please just stick with medium gain as that should be enough.

in foobar? when using E17 with computer. please don't use volume controls on computer. leave windows volume controls and app volume alone or at 100%. control volume only with E17 for best audio playback

Quote:
I'm also very curious about this comparison. I ordered the E17, since I need a DAC/amp setup, but also knowing the portability of the E17 may come in handy. But, for not much more, I wonder how much better then EF2A performs against the E17? If it's a great difference, I could see myself getting by just fine with a non-portable amp.

I'd be using these with DT 990 Pro's 250 ohm.

Edit: I also figured, if I want to upgrade with the E17, I could do so when the new E9 comes out. Probably an impossible question to answer, but should the new E9 / E17 combo be comparable to an EF2A setup?

the E9 is not the TRUE dedicated amp of the E17. the E19 is, but it won't be out till end of this year. it's hard to compare as one allows you to have a dedicated DAC, DAC and amp, portable amp, external portable sound card, EQ options, multiple inputs, and a desktop dedicated amp with plug in and line out options... FiiO has a great if not the best (in this industry) price to performance to options ratio. the price to performance is very close to some a lot of times like u see here..but the options is where the FiiO pulls ahead 

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2,090 of 6,777

Quote:
^ is high gain necessary for IEMs? What db do you listen at? High gain always brings more noise in an amp and should only be used for full size headphone that are power hungry.

i have yet to hear of a IEM that needs high gain on this device. I stay at 0dB to 6dB. i've tried 12dB. and of course..the last part i know. im going to guess this was aimed at the other dude..but i more or less already got it in my above post.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #2,092 of 6,777

Quote:
pink in the pics is on demo units. regular production is a blakc S/PDIF port. i get the same hiss or kk on high gain. please note all ur questions haev been asked before and answered...i would not expect you to have read. that is built in by design..well not built in, but because of the digital design, that is naturally occuring by design. on medium and low gain mode, i either don't meet this problem or it quickly corrects itself(bad terms) and disappears but on high gain i meet this problem sometimes. when it happens you have to increase the volume up until it stop and drop back down...please note..if you accidentl press play while doing this..you might blow your earbuds.....and maybe damage hearing. please just stick with medium gain as that should be enough.

Ok, but why does it always happen with my PC but not with FUZE+ ? I can go all the way above 34 when the source is FUZE+.

Quote:
I was asking psygeist and whoever uses high gain on IEMs.

I keep it between volume level 20 to 34 and foobar at less than 50% volume for e-Q5 and slightly more than 50% for RE-0.

And keep the volume b/w 20-45, FUZE+ volume stays around 50%. Mostly use RE-0 here.

Volume at 100% renders the sound slightly muddy on either gain setting while using FUZE+, probably because of additional amplification by FUZE+ since there is no line out.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,093 of 6,777

Quote:
the E9 is not the TRUE dedicated amp of the E17. the E19 is, but it won't be out till end of this year. it's hard to compare as one allows you to have a dedicated DAC, DAC and amp, portable amp, external portable sound card, EQ options, multiple inputs, and a desktop dedicated amp with plug in and line out options... FiiO has a great if not the best (in this industry) price to performance to options ratio. the price to performance is very close to some a lot of times like u see here..but the options is where the FiiO pulls ahead 

I'm curious as to what exactly you are talking about when you say e19, I looked around google a bit, but didn't find anything.  Is it just supposedly an update from the e9?  Also, waiting for a new shipment of e17s so I can drive my new cans

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #2,094 of 6,777
I'm curious as to what exactly you are talking about when you say e19, I looked around google a bit, but didn't find anything.  Is it just supposedly an update from the e9?  Also, waiting for a new shipment of e17s so I can drive my new cans

U r right. Just like the e17 is e7 update e19 is the same. Its only been said a few times on head fi.

@psygeist, that would seem to be an op amp and digital volume thing on the e17 im not sure how its happening for one and not other

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,095 of 6,777
I have both the FiiO E17, FiiO E7 and a HiFiMan EF2A.

I currently use the FiiO E17 to drive the amplifier stage of the HiFiMan EF2A (I used to use the E7), I can do a comparison of the E17 and the EF2A once I am happy that the FiiO E17 has had sufficient enough time to burn in like the other devices.

I wouldn't hold your breath out for the EF2A, the reason I don't use it as much as I should is due to it's unbearably high gain, it's just too damn loud.

Sys

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,096 of 6,777
^plz explain what you mean by drive the amp stage. I dont know what the hifiman specifically is. Are u dual amping is what u meant? Using as pre amp?

However so far how do you feel on the two. A tube amp comparison would be nice... Well mainly i see many going with little dots and its making me curious how a tube amp generally stacks up

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,098 of 6,777

Quote:
Has FiiO actually confirmed an e19?  What could it offer if the connections are the same?  The only thing I could like would be an optical in.

IT has semi comfirmed it. There is quite a bit of info on it on head fi. not in the threads you would think it'd be in though. Any info is unknown. think of it as a better desktop amp.

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2,099 of 6,777
I pre ordered the Fiio E17 for the second batch a week ago. I cant stand my on board audio on my laptop, it is absolutely terrible. I want my E17 and i want it now ! Ahhhh lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back