FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,906 of 6,777

Quote:
Well, according to mp4nation's facebook post the second batch got pushed back to the end of March....
mad.gif

fuuuuu.jpg

FiiO better have a good explanation for this. I've asked them on their facebook page

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,911 of 6,777
How is it FiiO not mp4nation's problem... How much stock did they think they were going to get? So for months they still have not satisfied their preorders... What is going on

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #1,912 of 6,777
Their were long posts on this from sounddreamer and agentxxl a few pages back. Its nobodies fault. Fiio already moves more units than many other audiophile companies and the e17 is handmade. Fiio is a maker, not a seller they dont even have to come and provide us with updates as they arent a retailer we are buying from

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,913 of 6,777
Wow, this really is never ending..

I don't want to get into a huge debate over whos "fault" it is again (agentxxl made a great post about this) however, I do wonder where mp4nation keep getting these "expected" dates from that have now been pushed back a total of 2 months.

Are they simply making them up to entice customers into pre-ordering? It's possible, but when I emailed asking about it they told me it was due to Fiio delaying production.

It seems we'll never know the truth for sure, but either way it's extremely frustrating.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,915 of 6,777
K to be clear, it's Alienware m17xR3 I believe it has full toslink. TM-50-03 cable arrived with my e17 from micca, it has 2-way tosslink (one side- mini + adapter). I connected this adapter to e17, the second head - to laptop's SPDIF, now, it was all good, when I tried to play a sound through OPT input, E17 went crazy switching between "hold" and OPT "20" (that's the volume) back and forth and producing a crackling sound like a radio does when it can't find a station.
After I rebooted E17, its screen stopped acting wild, but the sound persists
Hm..?
Quick update: E17 screen goes crazy when I actually play sounds on my laptop. apaart from ridiculous background noise, the sounds themselves are affected by it
Quote:
Thanks sound dreamer!

Ishalamb is the spdif out on ur pc full toslink or mini toslink? If its mini toslink u just need a two end mini toslink to minitoslink cable. If its regular toslink u need a toslink to mini toslink cable. Please note toslink ends can be easily converted to mini toslink with an adapter

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,916 of 6,777
Ishalamb. Is spdif set to default device in sound options

It probably is but just asking . This is most likely a computer hardware and or software(driver and audi software) error and not e17. Computer is probably sending it stuff it cant "understand" yea, this could be a problem with e17s spdif receiver as well but for now the higher chance is on ur end. See if another frienss conpyter has spdif and test. If it works on theirs its on ur end. Alienware and dell have aone of the lowest reliability scores. Just bc its fast and looks good doesnt mean its a good pc sadly.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,917 of 6,777
Well in all fairness, I got it for a year now and It worked perfectly! Now, i tried to set up my HD600s directly into SPDIF, that worked. However, after E17 it doesn't anymore. weird...

Quote:
Ishalamb. Is spdif set to default device in sound options

It probably is but just asking . This is most likely a computer hardware and or software(driver and audi software) error and not e17. Computer is probably sending it stuff it cant "understand" yea, this could be a problem with e17s spdif receiver as well but for now the higher chance is on ur end. See if another frienss conpyter has spdif and test. If it works on theirs its on ur end. Alienware and dell have aone of the lowest reliability scores. Just bc its fast and looks good doesnt mean its a good pc sadly.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,918 of 6,777
Quote:
K to be clear, it's Alienware m17xR3 I believe it has full toslink. TM-50-03 cable arrived with my e17 from micca, it has 2-way tosslink (one side- mini + adapter). I connected this adapter to e17, the second head - to laptop's SPDIF, now, it was all good, when I tried to play a sound through OPT input, E17 went crazy switching between "hold" and OPT "20" (that's the volume) back and forth and producing a crackling sound like a radio does when it can't find a station.
After I rebooted E17, its screen stopped acting wild, but the sound persists
Hm..?
Quick update: E17 screen goes crazy when I actually play sounds on my laptop. apaart from ridiculous background noise, the sounds themselves are affected by it

Sounds like the laptop is trying to scale everything up to Dolby Digital. My E17 crackled when I forgot to turn off bitstreaming and it couldn't decode the DD signal.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,919 of 6,777

Quote:
Well in all fairness, I got it for a year now and It worked perfectly! Now, i tried to set up my HD600s directly into SPDIF, that worked. However, after E17 it doesn't anymore. weird...

HD600 directly into SPDIF? If it's a shared analog/SPDIF plug on your computer, then plugging the optical cable in may have set the computer to optical mode on the shared plug. If you go into the sound properties in your control panel and look at 'manage audio devices,' you should see two entries (at least.) One will be Speaker/HP and the other will be Digital Output(Optical) - if it's set to Optical then the headphones won't work when plugged into the shared jack. Highlight Speaker and click 'set to default' and your headphones should work again.

As for the E17, does it work when you have a stereo audio cable between your laptop's headphone jack (on Speaker mode) and the E17's AUX input? If so, then does it work when you have a USB cable connected between your laptop and the E17's mini-USB plug, with your 'manage audio devices' set to SPDIF? (Which should appear when you have the E17 plugged into the laptop via USB) Also, be sure you're plugging the optical into the input next to the headphone jack on the E17 (on top, not bottom) and not the AUX input.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,920 of 6,777

Quote:

Sounds like the laptop is trying to scale everything up to Dolby Digital. My E17 crackled when I forgot to turn off bitstreaming and it couldn't decode the DD signal.

When I try to use Dolby out via optical, the E17 just throws up it's hands and sits there. I think I like that better than crackling. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back