FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,876 of 6,777

Quote:
Problem with my E17 help?

So i've been using the E17 perfectly, using the optical, now I wanted to try to use the USB because I was curious, 

To that setting (This isn't the correct audio playback but I don't want it to crash so I'm using a different one) I always get the blue screen. 

Is it not worth to keep trying over and over? Am I missing something I'm supposed to download? Also, when using the optical is it making the E17 a DAC or an Amp?

what crashes? when you use 96KHz or 192KHz? if it crashes when using any of them, it would be a hardware or software error. this is probably on your hardware and software end.  
proceed with my advice only if you maybe want help/solution i am not responsible for any damages or lost data; lets continue. make a restore point on your computer. then go and download the newest driver for your S/PDIF. it might be your chipset driver, south bridge and or audio driver. update as you see fit. then try again

When using with computer over USB, or S/PDIF(coaxil or optical toslink) the E17 will engage it's DAC and amp. when using through AUX in, the E17's amp is engaged. the DAC is not.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,877 of 6,777
By that windows picture, it looks like he's trying to change the resolution on his internal sound card, not the E17. His system may be crashing because it doesn't support the higher resolution? You'd think that it wouldn't have the available setting in the first place.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,878 of 6,777

Quote:
what crashes? when you use 96KHz or 192KHz? if it crashes when using any of them, it would be a hardware or software error. this is probably on your hardware and software end.  
proceed with my advice only if you maybe want help/solution i am not responsible for any damages or lost data; lets continue. make a restore point on your computer. then go and download the newest driver for your S/PDIF. it might be your chipset driver, south bridge and or audio driver. update as you see fit. then try again

When using with computer over USB, or S/PDIF(coaxil or optical toslink) the E17 will engage it's DAC and amp. when using through AUX in, the E17's amp is engaged. the DAC is not.

When using my USB 3.0 slot or 2.0 I can't even set it to 192Khz. I'm not full sure why, but I'm going to download the newest driver for the S/PDIF right now and come back. 

Wish me luck haha

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,880 of 6,777

Quote:
QUESTION TO EVERYONE:

I have asked before and a few users came to answer. How many people have a small rattle in their E17? Shake it a bit in all directions. Oh and shake at your own expense, if it slips out of your hands or the little rattle does system is not my fault or anything. 

Mine rattles faintly when shaken in any direction.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,881 of 6,777

Quote:
By that windows picture, it looks like he's trying to change the resolution on his internal sound card, not the E17. His system may be crashing because it doesn't support the higher resolution? You'd think that it wouldn't have the available setting in the first place.

....crap your right. i thought he was on E17 settings

Quote:
When using my USB 3.0 slot or 2.0 I can't even set it to 192Khz. I'm not full sure why, but I'm going to download the newest driver for the S/PDIF right now and come back. 

Wish me luck haha

USB only supports up to 192KHz for the E17. SPDIF is what supports 192 KHz. also it may be different for you but the E17 in a USB slot usually has it's name on it instead of the generic sound chip name. for example

my system calls it SPDIF but it's USB. SPDIF Interface (TX1) is my real optical S/PDIF connection

Quote:
For the E17, USB is 24/96 max and for optical/coax 24/196

yeah thanks. i forgot to check which one he was setting

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,882 of 6,777
Hmm, when I use my E17 on my mac it defaults to 48k, 16bit. Does anyone know how to switch it to 96k, 24bit on a Mac? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,883 of 6,777
You cannot switch from 16 bit/48K t o 24bit/96K. Those are the output from your source. So if your song is 24/96 then it would appear as 24/96. But you also have to be in WASAPI/ASIO mode.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,884 of 6,777
Well I explained earlier, that I wasn't showing the correct one because I was afraid it would crash just checking the properties (before changing the settings on the E17 but here)

Here is the real one once I insert E17.

This is the setting I chose. 

Apply, and bam blue screen again even after updating the audio drivers. It might be just my computer because if it is only mine then i don't mind considering i'm using the optical cable and I don't think there is any benefits of using USB. But if it does this to even my friend's laptop then its going to get annoying considering it doesn't have an optical cable.

In the end its broken but i'm still happy.

****Different Topic****

Is getting the CmoyBB paired with this for my Dt770 80ohms going to benefit my cans at all or should I just save up for future amps and headphones?(Way in the future haha)

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,885 of 6,777

Quote:
Hmm, when I use my E17 on my mac it defaults to 48k, 16bit. Does anyone know how to switch it to 96k, 24bit on a Mac? 

don't worry. i got you Y2K.

open up "Audio Midi Setup"

you will see blah and blah. just set the format and interger and what not to what you want

looks like this:

remember. Mac OSX limits S/PDIF output to 96KHz

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,886 of 6,777

Quote:
You cannot switch from 16 bit/48K t o 24bit/96K. Those are the output from your source. So if your song is 24/96 then it would appear as 24/96. But you also have to be in WASAPI/ASIO mode.

you can. it's called down sampling. E17 and most DAC's do it :D 

Quote:
Well I explained earlier, that I wasn't showing the correct one because I was afraid it would crash just checking the properties (before changing the settings on the E17 but here)

Here is the real one once I insert E17.

This is the setting I chose. 

Apply, and bam blue screen again even after updating the audio drivers. It might be just my computer because if it is only mine then i don't mind considering i'm using the optical cable and I don't think there is any benefits of using USB. But if it does this to even my friend's laptop then its going to get annoying considering it doesn't have an optical cable.

In the end its broken but i'm still happy.

****Different Topic****

Is getting the CmoyBB paired with this for my Dt770 80ohms going to benefit my cans at all or should I just save up for future amps and headphones?(Way in the future haha)

did you update drivers?

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,887 of 6,777

Quote:
you can. it's called down sampling. E17 and most DAC's do it :D 

did you update drivers?

Oh sorry I thought I included that info. Yes I did, same effect. I'm going to try it on my girlfriend's macbook later i guess. Had to download the drivers from Realtek. Any other ideas? I'm going to try it later on my girlfriend's macbook and if that doesn't work then I don't know what will. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #1,889 of 6,777

Quote:
don't worry. i got you Y2K.

open up "Audio Midi Setup"

you will see blah and blah. just set the format and interger and what not to what you want

looks like this:

remember. Mac OSX limits S/PDIF output to 96KHz

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back