FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,381 of 6,777

Quote:
As I said, not quite - you said that 8740 was 2nd and 8742 was 3rd in sound when they are actually pretty much identical. The 8742 wins on features by having the built-in digital filters (and the optional interface to external industry standard filters).

so im just gonna say the WM8740 is second with the 8741 being the best with the 8742 being 3rd place in sound....capiche?

your stance is also a little iffy. and so was mine see. i was unsure because both were very much had similar things so i just took the high performance tag on the 8740 as 2nd place and as we all know. fiio WAS going to use the 8741...but as you can also see....too much power. the E17 has 50% more power than the E7..the E7 could do 80 hours. the e17 could do 15 hours..even with 50% bigger battery.....12H or 10H with 8741 then o_o...hmm

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,382 of 6,777

Quote:
your stance is also a little iffy.

If you're going to say my stance is iffy, at least elaborate on what you think was iffy. I'm not going to argue semantics - I was just trying to point out that what you said about the 8740 vs 8742 wasn't quite right. 

As for how it applies to the E17, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. You and I both like it and hope that others are as happy with the WM8740 implementation that Fiio used.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,383 of 6,777
Me? I just meant that as we arent wolfson empoyees we wont have all the info so we can both only make assumptions based off the data. I made  quick 20 second one and u corrected me by looking deeper and at other things. And of course it doesnt matter. But one could wonder. If my car had  4.5l or 5l engine. Things like that

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,384 of 6,777
as has already been mentioned in this thread, the implemintation of the chip makes a larger impact than the actual chip anyway.  You can't tell the sound or quaility just by knowing the chip used.  Though if you have something that uses multiple BB 1704UK chip that cost $50 each then you hope it's pretty high end.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,386 of 6,777
Let's say i use the e17 solely as a DAC and i picked up a tube amp such as a Little Dot MKIII or a Schiit Valhalla and paired it up with a DT990/600. Do you guys think this would be a good idea or would it be better to get a desktop DAC instead?

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,387 of 6,777
Alright! You two (AgentXXL & bowei006) are bringing it all back to me now. The flagship (at the time) Pioneer SC-09 AVR used the WM8741 and the SC-07 (which I have) uses the WM8740. The WM8741 is the chip that does DSD direct wheras the WM8740 doesn't. They are both very similar in sound quality.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,388 of 6,777

Quote:
Alright! You two (AgentXXL & bowei006) are bringing it all back to me now. The flagship (at the time) Pioneer SC-09 AVR used the WM8741 and the SC-07 (which I have) uses the WM8740. The WM8741 is the chip that does DSD direct wheras the WM8740 doesn't. They are both very similar in sound quality.

hahah really. in the end...when the days over. it's gonna be hard to tell unless you have both. and even then. you won't be able to tell if it's just the DAC that's causing that small sound change and not the amp(or if you bypass it) or other components.

Quote:
A higher end chip matters when everything is done correctly. If you flux up the design, you flux up the design. 

yep. we've mentioned this many times

Quote:
Let's say i use the e17 solely as a DAC and i picked up a tube amp such as a Little Dot MKIII or a Schiit Valhalla and paired it up with a DT990/600. Do you guys think this would be a good idea or would it be better to get a desktop DAC instead?

that's what im thinking of doing. many people have stated that other DAC's are great....but really....small sound changes not worth the money. AND i need to use the e17 portably as well and can't bother spending another $200 for the same chip really.

@AgentXXL
I'm sorry if i offended you. Head-Fi is a place for discussion and opinions where others can go and correct others like stated in the T.O.S. And so my appology to you AgentXXL. You are a fine member of Head-Fi with much experience and great comments and thoughts on the products. I'm sorry if it seems like this i'm just here to take the thread someplace else. I am on Head-Fi a lot and will always click on and read my notifications. Originally I was just to answer questions. But I guess I've been on too much. I am sorry if I appeared to be ignorantly attacking you or something.  I will read my wording from now on. I typed most of the Wolfson comments on the mobile(not this time). And I will now also take a step back now and answer and only answer user questions that have not been answered yet. Thank you members of Head-Fi for this wonderful oppurtunity at a discussion-ful thread. I take my leave now.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,389 of 6,777
iBasso D7 vs FiiO E17?

I'll be using IEM ViSang R03 (Brainwavz M2). This setup will be for my laptop.

For my desktop I currently use a NuForce HDP with Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and I love the neutral sound.

Gonna mostly be using it for gaming and watching movies.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,390 of 6,777

Quote:
If you're going to say my stance is iffy, at least elaborate on what you think was iffy. I'm not going to argue semantics - I was just trying to point out that what you said about the 8740 vs 8742 wasn't quite right. 

As for how it applies to the E17, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. You and I both like it and hope that others are as happy with the WM8740 implementation that Fiio used.

Don't worry too much about WM8740 vs WM8741. There are reports from electronic engineer that the two are very close in performance as the inner design of the chips aren't as different as Wolfson wants people to believe. The price however is, so you can imagine why Wolfson are pushing the WM8741 as much as they can.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #1,391 of 6,777
Something need to clarify:

1, WM8741 or other famous DAC chip is not designed to portable use. of course you can see some portable devices do used WM8741, ES9018 or CS4398, but you all can see that all they have very limited battery life and the size is quite big. 

2, DAC chip is the most important parts inside a DAC products , but DAC chip does not means everything, but of course it will have better SQ if it is from the same company/brand or the same engineer because the implement will keep at the same level. 

3, FiiO will like to use some mature technical but not the newest technical because it is hard to control the quality, especially we are become a global brand and selling all over the world.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #1,393 of 6,777

Quote:
Wow, I was making dinner on the other side of my apartment when I heard something that sounded like a fireplace crackling at my desk. I ran over to hear my headphones popping and hissing while plugged into the E9. I unplugged everything and undocked the E17. I've put everything back in and it seems to be fine.

Same has happened on mine twice the first day or so when connected to my laptop using USB. Unplugging and reinserting the USB plug fixed the problem.
It has not reoccured since or when using it in AUX mode (analog input).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back