FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,321 of 6,777

Quote:
Ii've read through the last few pages, but i'm confused. Are you able to bypass the amp on the E17 and use it purely as a DAC?

I plan to use it as both a portable amp+DAC and a desktop DAC into an amp (which i don't own yet), but obviously the second won't be possible without it being able to bypass the amp.

You can. as long as you switch to lo-bypass.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,322 of 6,777

Quote:
Ii've read through the last few pages, but i'm confused. Are you able to bypass the amp on the E17 and use it purely as a DAC?

I plan to use it as both a portable amp+DAC and a desktop DAC into an amp (which i don't own yet), but obviously the second won't be possible without it being able to bypass the amp.

1: yes. you would need to use the FiiO L7 to bypass teh E17's amp and use as a DAC. the FiiO L7 also works with the E7. Make sure to use the LO bypass switch on the E17.

Quote CLIEOS:
there is also a ‘LO Bypass’ switch on the right side. In the lower position (close to the words), Alpen will be in its default mode to output line level signal (fixed level, no EQ) when docked (to E9 or L7). In the upper position, Alpen will output pre-amp signal instead. In pre-amp mode, volume control and EQ will affect the output when docked.  If you don’t have any particular reason, I’ll suggest you leave the LO Bypass to the default line-out mode. If you do want the EQ to stay on the LO (LO Bypass enable), I will suggest you set Alpen to zero gain and max out on the volume (6dB gain is fine as well).  Use what even amp you are going to pair with Alpen to control volume and gain.

2:The second will be possible. you will just be dual amping. is that bad? not always. dual amping from a bad amp or circuitry on any end of it is no prefereed. some dual amp to add tone and EQ to it.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,324 of 6,777
A hint for those who plan to use E17+E9.
I found that you will get a better SQ if you fix the volume of E9 to 10-11o'clock, and adjust the volume using the software you are using to play music, say, Foobar2000.

Originally, I thought it's better to use E9 to adjust the volume, but I found it is actually not the case.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,325 of 6,777

Quote:
A hint for those who plan to use E17+E9.
I found that you will get a better SQ if you fix the volume of E9 to 10-11o'clock, and adjust the volume using the software you are using to play music, say, Foobar2000.

I think that this depends on the headphones really. driveabiity and each headphones different sweet spot. but thanks for the suggestion anyway duyu 
L3000.gif

we've gotten many people including myself that have gotten screen protectors. i linked a picture and document specifying FiiO's need to include the screen protector on the page before.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,326 of 6,777
Wait, we need this L7 thingy in order to use E17'S DAC when using a computer?  We just can't connect the E17 in the E9 and turn on a switch?

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,328 of 6,777

Quote:
if you see needed a desktop DAC and no portability...why didn't you go with something like the Tube Magic d1?

I thought the portability would be nice with my laptop/SRH 940s when on the road.  This doesn't happen often, but having the option is always nice.

But yes...I have considered the D1 and the HUD-MX1.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,330 of 6,777

Quote:

Yes, but you need the Fiio L7 LOD.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,332 of 6,777

Quote:

Cool, that's all i needed to know. 

How does the E17 stack up to standalone DAC units? Being portable and semi-inexpensive, i wouldn't expect  a massive amount, but from what everyone seems to say, it's pretty good.

^ i'd like to know too as the only dac i currently have is the e17 and if i want to upgrade my amp in the future would the e17 suffice  as a decent DAC by itself compared to the competition (i.e. audinst)

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,333 of 6,777

Quote:
Wait, we need this L7 thingy in order to use E17'S DAC when using a computer?  We just can't connect the E17 in the E9 and turn on a switch?

No, you don't need the L7 if you have the E9. When the E17 is docked with the E9, you can use the E17 as a DAC with fixed line out of the E9 RCA jacks and adjustable pre-out from the E9 3.5mm pre-out jack. The L7 is only required if you want line out and don't have an E9.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,334 of 6,777

Quote:
^ i'd like to know too as the only dac i currently have is the e17 and if i want to upgrade my amp in the future would the e17 suffice  as a decent DAC by itself compared to the competition (i.e. audinst)

My impression is that the E17 does a very admirable job as a DAC by itself, especially at the price point. I also own a Headamp Pico which uses the same WM8740 chip, but with a different implementation that sells as a DAC only version for $400 US, or as a DAC/amp version for $500. I have the DAC/amp version and while it does have a slightly more open soundstage, the DAC implementation on the E17 is pretty damn close! And at a savings of $350 for the full DAC/amp version, it's even more impressive.

I've also played with a $650 Cambridge DacMagic Plus, which uses 2 WM8740 chips in its implementation, and is definitely a dedicated desktop DAC. The DacMagic Plus has quite a different feature set when compared to the E17 or the Pico. Most interesting though is that when compared side by side with the Headamp Pico, I couldn't really tell the difference between the two DACs. Technically, by specifications, the DacMagic Plus is superior, but to my ears in a listening comparison, I couldn't really hear the difference when both were configured similarly.

The extra features of the DacMagic Plus may justify its price for some, but for me who wants to use a simple USB DAC with my lossless audio collection, the E17 is  more than satisfying - it's downright delicious! :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,335 of 6,777

Quote:
Technically, by specifications, the DacMagic Plus is superior, but to my ears in a listening comparison, I couldn't really hear the difference when both were configured similarly.

The extra features of the DacMagic Plus may justify its price for some, but for me who wants to use a simple USB DAC with my lossless audio collection, the E17 is  more than satisfying - it's downright delicious! :)

This is good to hear! I was looking at the DacMagic really close but couldn't justify spending that amount of money. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back