FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,291 of 6,777

Quote:
The very first thing I did when I got mine (E17) yesterday was to hook up the USB from my Sony VAIO laptop to see quickly what it sounded like, the five minute quick listen turned into a 2 1/2 hour long session. I caught myself talking out loud to no one on more then a few occasions saying something to the effect that "...man on man buying this piece was a good move"  and once even singing Happy Birthday to me- I'll be really old on the 26th.

A fellow head-fier bought one on impulse and after taking delivery realized he needed another DAC/Amp like a hole in the head so he sold it and my lucky ass was reading the sale ad the other night minutes after he posted it and impulsively wrote "I'll definitely buy the E17 from you and paypal you the funds within minutes of your sending me the email address" - the smartest thing I've done in my 54th year on the planet.

Today after fully charging the unit I hooked it up via Coax to my main system which is a nearfield listening setup in my bedroom consisting of Virtue Audio TWO.2 amp, Piano M1 CD player and a Squeezebox Touch running into a Grant DAC-09 DAC/Pre-amp using the Tube pre outs for the tube buffer feature and the little unit did not disappoint. A worthy replacement DAC if I ever need one or desire a change in sound-extremely worthy!

I took a nice walk today as part of my rehab from crippling peripheral neuropathy trying out my Etymotic MC5 IEM's to see if I could flatten them out with some added "Bass" eq- the walk was frigid cold but the music was warm and threw a little spring in my limp.

I have like I said just received this slightly used E17 so the jury has not even left the courtroom to convene but so far its performing well above its price point and has yet to even remotely bum me out on any level. Happy Birthday to me!!

wait. so tell me. what / why didn't the other head fi'er want it? whaqt got you on impulse to just jump and buy the e17 with such enthusiasm? this thread? haha

i see u have a Schiit. that's a nice schiit. hahah pun intended. how would you compare the schiit to this? this is only $150 but you get my point. is this a good backup amp and dac..or a portable one?

how did it fit your purposes. it kinda didn't seem like u will be using it often :D?

ohh and..almost happy birthday to you :D 
L3000.gif

guys...we all know now...i live on head fi.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,292 of 6,777

Quote:
The very first thing I did when I got mine (E17) yesterday was to hook up the USB from my Sony VAIO laptop to see quickly what it sounded like, the five minute quick listen turned into a 2 1/2 hour long session. I caught myself talking out loud to no one on more then a few occasions saying something to the effect that "...man on man buying this piece was a good move"  and once even singing Happy Birthday to me- I'll be really old on the 26th.

A fellow head-fier bought one on impulse and after taking delivery realized he needed another DAC/Amp like a hole in the head so he sold it and my lucky ass was reading the sale ad the other night minutes after he posted it and impulsively wrote "I'll definitely buy the E17 from you and paypal you the funds within minutes of your sending me the email address" - the smartest thing I've done in my 54th year on the planet.

Today after fully charging the unit I hooked it up via Coax to my main system which is a nearfield listening setup in my bedroom consisting of Virtue Audio TWO.2 amp, Piano M1 CD player and a Squeezebox Touch running into a Grant DAC-09 DAC/Pre-amp using the Tube pre outs for the tube buffer feature and the little unit did not disappoint. A worthy replacement DAC if I ever need one or desire a change in sound-extremely worthy!

I took a nice walk today as part of my rehab from crippling peripheral neuropathy trying out my Etymotic MC5 IEM's to see if I could flatten them out with some added "Bass" eq- the walk was frigid cold but the music was warm and threw a little spring in my limp.

I have like I said just received this slightly used E17 so the jury has not even left the courtroom to convene but so far its performing well above its price point and has yet to even remotely bum me out on any level. Happy Birthday to me!!

Happy Birthday to you!

Everyone is a star in the sky, and wish you will be the brightest one . Wish you all happiness, health and prosperity with many returns of the day.! 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,293 of 6,777
I just want to post a follow-up to my post back here about the distortion I was experiencing with the E17.

I noticed there was a very small, almost trace amounts of some white, crumbly substance on the dock connector of the E9. My E9 is brand new, so I assume it was some sort of manufacturing residue. I cleaned it and have been using the E9+E17 combo for a while with no trouble. I'm also now starting to notice a very subtle difference between the sound of using the E17 and sound right from the on-board audio (which is good).

I'm not sure I really benefit much from having the E9 and would be happy using it straight from the PC through the E17, but I love having the analog volume knob right there along with a 1/4" plug. Plus, I don't want the E17 just floating around on my desk and potentially getting crushed or dropped. All in all, I really appreciate the little thing.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,294 of 6,777

Quote:
1)
wait. so tell me. what / why didn't the other head fi'er want it? whaqt got you on impulse to just jump and buy the e17 with such enthusiasm? this thread? haha
2)
i see u have a Schiit. that's a nice schiit. hahah pun intended. how would you compare the schiit to this? this is only $150 but you get my point. is this a good backup amp and dac..or a portable one?
3)
how did it fit your purposes. it kinda didn't seem like u will be using it often :D?
4)
ohh and..almost happy birthday to you :D 
L3000.gif

5)
guys...we all know now...i live on head fi.

1) He told me he had too many of this type of portable, I wanted one of the very first batch in a big way mine is #125 by the way...LOL. I'm a big fan of Fiio stuff. Just ask feiao (thanks for the nice poem my friend!!)

2) Totally different beasts but I understand your question, both are excellent Schiit! My 3rd DAC/amp and only one I have and use daily when walking for my rehabbing of my legs-weather permitting. I was a professional drummer before I became crippled last year- a really long story for another day.

3) (see #2) Will be used daily- most of the day I think.......LOL

4) Thanks I'm worlds only 54 yr old 15 yr. old...LOL

5) Its all good!!

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #1,295 of 6,777

Quote:
I wanted one of the very first batch in a big way mine is #125 by the way.

How do you know that!?!?

Also, peeled the feet off of mine.  They traveled way too much.  Back to the bands and some poster goo to keep it in place on the back of the iPod.  I only wish I hasn't cut holes in the case for the feet now :wink:  It's on its last legs anyways, lol.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,296 of 6,777
Actually I double checked and its #132...OOps. I went by the serial number- some letters a bunch of zero's then 132 to finish the string. I don't know very much about production runs like this but I took a guess. I mean there has to be a way the company (Fiio) can tell where in the run each piece was produced in case they need to run down an issue correct?? If I'm wrong please correct me anybody??

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #1,297 of 6,777
I have to say, I love my E11 + LOD. It has been an amazing accessory for my iPod. There are those times however where I would like to just plug into my Macbook Air (personal) or Macbook Pro (at work) and listen to music that way. I would assume I can still use my LOD with the E17 as easily as I do with the E11. Would the E17 make a great replacement for my E11 and would I benefit from using it on those machines?

Also - where has everyone been purchasing theirs from?

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,298 of 6,777
I also have an E11 and the E17 is better in my opinion. They are different sound characters with the 17 sounding a bit sweeter and with more air. I also love my E11 though and use an LOD cable with my ipod touch and Yes it works with the E17. 

The best sound I've gotten so far, actually it was the first thing I tried out so the difference was evident, was using USB out of my VAIO laptop. I love the sound that way. For me all the way around the E17 is a fine product. I bought mine used, not sure if there are any to get at this point in time.....enjoy it if you get one.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,299 of 6,777

Quote:
Actually I double checked and its #132...OOps. I went by the serial number- some letters a bunch of zero's then 132 to finish the string. I don't know very much about production runs like this but I took a guess. I mean there has to be a way the company (Fiio) can tell where in the run each piece was produced in case they need to run down an issue correct?? If I'm wrong please correct me anybody??

Huh... I don't see anything like that on mine.

EDIT:  Oh!  On the box.  :)  283 here it seems.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,301 of 6,777
Is the DAC on this technically different from the E7? 

I plan to get the E9, but don't know whether to pair it the E7 or E17.  I really don't care about the treble and bass adjustments.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,302 of 6,777
So I have primarily been using my iPod Nano (gift from the wife) with my E11 to play my music. The problem is, its only 8GB and thats nothing when you fill it with lossless audio. 

I was thinking about picking up an iPod classic. All my music is already in iTunes in ALAC format ready to be synched, and the storage is 160GB. Has anyone had any experience with using the older iPods with the current Fiio amps + LOD? Any problems?

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,303 of 6,777

Quote:
Is the DAC on this technically different from the E7? 

I plan to get the E9, but don't know whether to pair it the E7 or E17.  I really don't care about the treble and bass adjustments.

the DAC used is the same. the Wolfson WM8740. In this case it's kinda like this. which car is faster. they both have the same engine. most would tell me...to ask for more info bc that doesn't really decide everything and that's the point. the receiver's (USB sPDIF) are different and better and the components are updated. technically? yes. DAC? no.

Quote:
So I have primarily been using my iPod Nano (gift from the wife) with my E11 to play my music. The problem is, its only 8GB and thats nothing when you fill it with lossless audio. 

I was thinking about picking up an iPod classic. All my music is already in iTunes in ALAC format ready to be synched, and the storage is 160GB. Has anyone had any experience with using the older iPods with the current Fiio amps + LOD? Any problems?

since everyone on head fi uses their ipod classics with an LOD and most have fiio amps...why would there be any problems?

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,304 of 6,777

Quote:
the DAC used is the same. the Wolfson WM8740. In this case it's kinda like this. which car is faster. they both have the same engine. most would tell me...to ask for more info bc that doesn't really decide everything and that's the point. the receiver's (USB sPDIF) are different and better and the components are updated. technically? yes. DAC? no.

Thanks...baically what you're saying is that, used as a DAC alone, I won't get better sound from the E17? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,305 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks...baically what you're saying is that, used as a DAC alone, I won't get better sound from the E17? 

Yes you will. unless you use the L7 to line out and just use it as a DAC. then the changes are only in the receiver chips. im not sure if they are different. they were if i remember correctly(the USB). but if you are going from computer to E7 or E17 and then to headphones.. yes. the difference is there. because then you add in the ampliifer and the two op amps it uses. this and that. etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back