FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,265 of 6,777
Ok cool, should have power on all the time if I use it with my Thinkpad then. Can I parse 5.1 sound through this and connect it to my Reciever at the same time as I have headphones in it? Because then I think I will get this when it gets in store on amazon.co.uk (if thats the cheapest place to buy it in Europe)

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,266 of 6,777

Quote:
How does this get power, and can it be powered and play at the same time?

dorino answered it well but i will offern an extended answer

this gets power from an internal li-ion battery. 1500MaH. 50% larger than E7's.
You can recharge it through the mini USB port on the E17 only. This port is for charging the E17 and for using the E17 as an DAC and amp through USB connection. you can turn off USB charging in settings. if you have this off and E17 runs out of batteries. the settings reset so you will still be able to recharge.
while it is plugged in yes it can be in use and charge at the same time. the E11 couldn't which is why i think u are asking. the battery is not removable by user. regular light when on is blue. when charging with device off is red. when in use and charging it is a mix of blue and red(purple really). wehn charging is finished. the light will dissappear if the device is off and it will turn blue if you are using it and charging. regular charge time is 1.5 to 2 hours. charging on smaller laptops take about 5 hours(for me it did). using and charging at same time takes quite a bit longer to charge. the 1.5 hours is only if it's completley off with battery drained and on a regular USB port. Again. some laptops are lower powered ones. batteries are not recommended to be charged on a "fast charger" as that threatens the batteries life. the slower the charge the better. but 1.5 hour charge is fiio defined and is the usual charge time. this can be used with an iphone USB charger. or any other high quality equilvalent 3rd party usb chargers. high quality is the keyword. avoid using chinese copied iphone usb chargers(i have a few) and don't use cheap 3rd party adapters as well.

i think i just answered every charge and battery question :/ haha ..maybe..just maybe

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,267 of 6,777
Ok cool, should have power on all the time if I use it with my Thinkpad then. Can I parse 5.1 sound through this and connect it to my Reciever at the same time as I have headphones in it? Because then I think I will get this when it gets in store on amazon.co.uk (if thats the cheapest place to buy it in Europe)

Stereo only.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,268 of 6,777
Quote:
Stereo only.

Though if you have a card that supports CMSS-3D you can hack the processing onto what's fed to the external DAC using only software, don't even need to touch the circuits on the card, just needs to be plugged in for the software to work. And if you don't have a Creative card, you can pop one in your desktop for ~$25 Bear in mind that's really only if you want 5.1 on your headphones for gaming/movies, but it's what I plan on doing when I pick an E17 up. I posted a guide on it in the Nameless PC thread.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,270 of 6,777

Quote:
I would shoot a PM instead to get an answer. if you do get a good one. plz post here for us all to see why they used digital instead of analog...though im almost sure somebody already did. no matter. seeing it again works

After reading the specs on the WM8740, I would almost bet Fiio is using the attenuation on the chip to save space and money. As usual, attenuation is performed prior to the actual DAC.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,271 of 6,777
Though if you have a card that supports CMSS-3D you can hack the processing onto what's fed to the external DAC using only software, don't even need to touch the circuits on the card, just needs to be plugged in for the software to work. And if you don't have a Creative card, you can pop one in your desktop for ~$25 Bear in mind that's really only if you want 5.1 on your headphones for gaming/movies, but it's what I plan on doing when I pick an E17 up. I posted a guide on it in the Nameless PC thread.

You are justing adding 5.1 simulation EQ to the 2.0 sound, not making it 5.1. The hardware inside E17 doesn't support actual hardware 5.1 decoding. Allyou can add is software EQ to the stereo sound to make it 'feels' like 5.1, but it is nothing more than EQ.

After reading the specs on the WM8740, I would almost bet Fiio is using the attenuation on the chip to save space and money. As usual, attenuation is performed prior to the actual DAC.

Volume control is implemented after the DAC stage, before the amp stage. If it is implemented before the DAC stage, you can't control volume on AUX-in mode (which is the pure amp mode where signal goes straight to the amp section but not the DAC section). Plus, I never heard anyone implement volume control before DAC stage. That will be quite stupid (not to mention not easy to implement on hardware level) as that will be digital attenuation on the digital data itself and will cause resolution degradation - that is the same reason why we advice people not to use Windows' volume control to adjust volume.

The main reason to use digital volume control, as explained in the review on the first page, is to enable EQ and (especially) Pan control, which can't be do done easily using analog pot. Also, the isn't the first FiiO amp to use digital volume control. FiiO has already used digital volume on E5, E6 and E7. E17 just uses a better digital volume control circuit to enable it for more function.

Reading back a few of your posts, I really don't understand what your concerns are as it seems you are thinking the whole implementation in a wrong way.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,272 of 6,777
Quote:
You are justing adding 5.1 simulation EQ to the 2.0 sound, not making it 5.1. The hardware inside E17 doesn't support actual hardware 5.1 decoding. Allyou can add is software EQ to the stereo sound to make it 'feels' like 5.1, but it is nothing more than EQ.

Oh agreed (sorry if that was misleading), but certain headphones can really shine with virtual surround in gaming or movies. It's something to consider if you want to be able to have "gaming mode" at the flip of a switch while still retaining the awesome DAC capabilities of the E17, which is what I'm looking for. Not really relevant to everyone but I bet there's a few out there who haven't found Nameless' thread for that yet.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,273 of 6,777

Quote:
Oh agreed (sorry if that was misleading), but certain headphones can really shine with virtual surround in gaming or movies. It's something to consider if you want to be able to have "gaming mode" at the flip of a switch while still retaining the awesome DAC capabilities of the E17, which is what I'm looking for. Not really relevant to everyone but I bet there's a few out there who haven't found Nameless' thread for that yet.

One important thing is , some user will not think it is a good idea when there are features help nothing for the SQ. not to talk about the surround effect, even any products with EQ will be regarded as consumer products. 

So it is decided by the market but not decided by manufacturer, and you can find there are lots of gaming headphone in the market, LOL.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,274 of 6,777

Quote:
Volume control is implemented after the DAC stage, before the amp stage. If it is implemented before the DAC stage, you can't control volume on AUX-in mode (which is the pure amp mode where signal goes straight to the amp section but not the DAC section). Plus, I never heard anyone implement volume control before DAC stage. That will be quite stupid (not to mention not easy to implement on hardware level) as that will be digital attenuation on the digital data itself and will cause resolution degradation - that is the same reason why we advice people not to use Windows' volume control to adjust volume.
The main reason to use digital volume control, as explained in the review on the first page, is to enable EQ and (especially) Pan control, which can't be do done easily using analog pot. Also, the isn't the first FiiO amp to use digital volume control. FiiO has already used digital volume on E5, E6 and E7. E17 just uses a better digital volume control circuit to enable it for more function.
Reading back a few of your posts, I really don't understand what your concerns are as it seems you are thinking the whole implementation in a wrong way.

According to the WM8740 diagram, the attenuation is performed before the DAC. I agree and have been saying that having the volume control before the DAC stage is not good, but common on many SOC designs. I'm all for a digital volume control when done correctly. Don't make me take this thing apart when I finally receive it just to find out. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,275 of 6,777
Sorry for being a little bit off topic but I need an answer about this and this topic is pretty active.  The power outlet thingy for my E9 makes a buzz noise.  I notice it when I go to sleep cause I don't have loud ass music playing.  So is this normal or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back