FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,246 of 6,777

Quote:
To who have problem to connect our ALPEN E17 to their PC, please try to use foobar to play the music and install the ASIO component so the digital signal can bypass the audio process in WIN OS, but unfortunately

I am not sure if it can work because we have not any problem to install ALPEN to our PC ( we have about 50 PCs, running WIN XP, WIN 7-32bit, WIN 7-64bit and MAC OS ) 

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

About Foobar and ASIO, hope someone can help me introduce it more easy to understand, because no everyone can total understand what it is and how it work. and it is too difficult to me to do that in English . 

ASIO driver made no difference for me.  And I can verify it is going through the ASIO driver.

EDIT:  ASIO made it worse actually, lol.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,247 of 6,777

Quote:
but preordering is different? do you think they know about how many they have to sell?

they probably do. they knew with the first one

Quote:
I purchased the E17 for sound quality. My concern is, maybe, I should have went with the E10 or even E11 headphone amp because of the analog volume control versus the digital one used in the E17. 

they gave an explanation for  why they went didigtal.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,248 of 6,777

Quote:
To who have problem to connect our ALPEN E17 to their PC, please try to use foobar to play the music and install the ASIO component so the digital signal can bypass the audio process in WIN OS, but unfortunately

I am not sure if it can work because we have not any problem to install ALPEN to our PC ( we have about 50 PCs, running WIN XP, WIN 7-32bit, WIN 7-64bit and MAC OS ) 

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

About Foobar and ASIO, hope someone can help me introduce it more easy to understand, because no everyone can total understand what it is and how it work. and it is too difficult to me to do that in English . 

if I may ask James. How many workers does FiiO personally employ? do the factory workers just make FiiO? So basicaly how many in total?
Who is the CEO?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,249 of 6,777
From Amazon.co.uk product page:

"Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 23 Jan 2012"

But now out of stock.

Is this true? There is 1 customer review so I'm guessing I missed it somehow.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost from Amazon UK?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #1,250 of 6,777

Quote:
From Amazon.co.uk product page:

"Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 23 Jan 2012"

But now out of stock.

Is this true? There is 1 customer review so I'm guessing I missed it somehow.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost from Amazon UK?

people would tell u to read around the thread...but you don't have to. this thread has gotten too big so idon't expect u too. but
yes. the supply was extremely limited. it sold out in 7 hours in the U.S from the majortiy of north american official fiio retailers. the UK had it probably bc one of the distro's just put it online..and then sold out themselves.

i can't tell you how much it is going to cost. it is worth as much as USD $134 to over $223. $135 from mp4nation and 170 euros from german or the EU.(which is about $223)
but it will probably cost $150 USD for you about 94 pounds. so 90 to 100 pounds for you./...probably. sometimes the initial amazon batchers charge more so 110 pounds :/

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #1,251 of 6,777

Quote:

they gave an explanation for  why they went didigtal.

I must have miss this. Why?
Also, is the volume attenuated before the DAC, within the DAC or after?

Quote:
yes. the supply was extremely limited. it sold out in 7 hours in the U.S from the majortiy of north american official fiio retailers. 

Are you saying that there are more than one U.S. distributor?

Edit: nevermind, I just looked again at the "Where To Buy" page on the Fiio site.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,252 of 6,777

Quote:
I must have miss this. Why?
Also, is the volume attenuated before the DAC, within the DAC or after?

Are you saying that there are more than one U.S. distributor?

Edit: nevermind, I just looked again at the "Where To Buy" page on the Fiio site.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/870#post_8101532
read this first and then
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/885#post_8102366

Quote: CLIEOS
It is the digital volume controller trying to switch between steps, totally normal. Even with much more expensive portable with digital volume control, you can still hear this kind of switching wehn changing volume, especially if you have a sensitive headphone.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,253 of 6,777

Quote:

I still don't understand why they went with a digital volume control over analog unless it was an update to the E7 that they wanted to stay digital. Makes sense.

It sounds to be a separate digital controller outside the DAC? If so, it would be interesting to know where it's installed in the signal path. Before the DAC is never a good thing.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,254 of 6,777

Quote:

I still don't understand why they went with a digital volume control over analog unless it was an update to the E7 that they wanted to stay digital. Makes sense.

It sounds to be a separate digital controller outside the DAC? If so, it would be interesting to know where it's installed in the signal path. Before the DAC is never a good thing.

oh sorry. i spent 30 minutes looking for the comment. i couldn't find it. it was either clieos or fiio that told the reason for why. i think it was on ...balancing the channels. stepped this...or was it so they have more steps to raising volume. for the sensitive IEM's. i think. don't quote me. i forgot. whatever i read sounded good enough though. and i don't realy care...well there are times when i want a faster raising and lowering of volume :/

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,255 of 6,777

Quote:
oh sorry. i spent 30 minutes looking for the comment. i couldn't find it. it was either clieos or fiio that told the reason for why. i think it was on ...balancing the channels. stepped this...or was it so they have more steps to raising volume. for the sensitive IEM's. i think. don't quote me. i forgot. whatever i read sounded good enough though. and i don't realy care...well there are times when i want a faster raising and lowering of volume :/

My main concern of choosing digital over analog volume is the truncation of digital bits to the signal. Of course, leaving it at a fixed (full volume mode) isn't a problem but listening via headphones is not an option.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,256 of 6,777

Quote:
My main concern of choosing digital over analog volume is the truncation of digital bits to the signal. Of course, leaving it at a fixed (full volume mode) isn't a problem but listening via headphones is not an option.

Well as my linked post said. i hear it. it's quite audible when u raise the volume fast(not when a "regular song" is playing though) but then it corrects the signal and it's gone in seconds. reviewers like Mike and CLIEOS and others on this thread...don't have any problem at all.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,257 of 6,777

Quote:
Well as my linked post said. i hear it. it's quite audible when u raise the volume fast(not when a "regular song" is playing though) but then it corrects the signal and it's gone in seconds. reviewers like Mike and CLIEOS and others on this thread...don't have any problem at all.

It sounds like we are speaking of two different things here. I will wait for Fiio to respond.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,258 of 6,777

Quote:

It sounds like we are speaking of two different things here. I will wait for Fiio to respond.

I would shoot a PM instead to get an answer. if you do get a good one. plz post here for us all to see why they used digital instead of analog...though im almost sure somebody already did. no matter. seeing it again works

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,259 of 6,777
Quote:
people would tell u to read around the thread...but you don't have to. this thread has gotten too big so idon't expect u too. but
yes. the supply was extremely limited. it sold out in 7 hours in the U.S from the majortiy of north american official fiio retailers. the UK had it probably bc one of the distro's just put it online..and then sold out themselves.

i can't tell you how much it is going to cost. it is worth as much as USD $134 to over $223. $135 from mp4nation and 170 euros from german or the EU.(which is about $223)
but it will probably cost $150 USD for you about 94 pounds. so 90 to 100 pounds for you./...probably. sometimes the initial amazon batchers charge more so 110 pounds :/

Yes mate, been following the thread for a few weeks and surprisingly I have read it all.

I check here daily in case there's an update about UK stock availability, and there was never any mention of Amazon UK.

I placed a pre-order with mp4nation last week which came to £88.30, the cheapest online.

I just wanted to hear from somebody who already purchased one from Amazon.co.uk to see how much they paid.

Getting a little tedious waiting around now, Feiao can you give us any updates? Will mp4nation definately be getting stock "mid February" as they say?

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,260 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes mate, been following the thread for a few weeks and surprisingly I have read it all.

I check here daily in case there's an update about UK stock availability, and there was never any mention of Amazon UK.

I placed a pre-order with mp4nation last week which came to £88.30, the cheapest online.

I just wanted to hear from somebody who already purchased one from Amazon.co.uk to see how much they paid.

Getting a little tedious waiting around now, Feiao can you give us any updates? Will mp4nation definately be getting stock "mid February" as they say?

seeing as they held previous promises and everything seems to be on schedule. i guess it will. u should be getting late feb :D E17 is hand assembled :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back