FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,187 of 6,777

Quote:
Funny thing happened on the way to the forum. Originally, I went to purchase a E17 at the Micca store but they didn't list them for sale. A day or two later, I read on this Thread that they were sold out in a matter of hours. So, I purchased through mp4nation. The next day, I sent an email asking about availability and the special they were running and told them I would consider cancelling my order with mp4nation and order through their Website if the special and availability were still on for the Mid-February availability. A couple of hours later, I received a one short sentence email:

Hi,

We have sold out of our stock of E17's. Next shipment will be in mid February.

I was flabbergasted when I received their response. I thought to myself, I guess they have enough customers purchasing the E17 from them and don't need/want my money. 
confused_face.gif

nobody really purchases things from micca store. no reviews...store's more or less blank. they mainly do amazon sales and ebay if you actually see....they have enough and are anticipating customers(im going to bet they are watching this thread and have read my calculations and are thanking me in their offices right now) that they don't really care. well they do. but i guess tehy have too much to do to even worry about 1 person...one person!!!! buying an E17 when they have already seen..it sold out...IT SOLD OUT in hours.

i answered teh battery question up above in case u missed it.
haha i see. well even if you do use it alot....well. i guess by the time it's that old. you will pop it open and replace it yourself..or...something i guess.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,189 of 6,777

Quote:

It probably "Sold Out" because they only had one or two to sell. LOL

that would be funny but if you check from what..page .....??50....a lot got them. it seems the size of the first batch may have been 5000. i keep seeing that number in "estimates" of error. how it went from 500 to 5000 and thus 1% is different blah blah blah for them.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,190 of 6,777
MiccaStore is great! They have a policy of not listing items on their website UNLESS they ACTUALLY have the item in stock and can ship. No taking pre-orders only to find out that they didn't get enough in the next shipment to satisfy all the pre-orders.... leaves many "pre-orderers" left waiting and waiting. They have a thread here on Head-Fi that is keeping us informed of the expected availability.... search for it. Ordered many things from them and sometimes they even ship within a few HOURS of the order placement. Highly recommended.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,191 of 6,777

Quote:
MiccaStore is great! They have a policy of not listing items on their website UNLESS they ACTUALLY have the item in stock and can ship. No taking pre-orders only to find out that they didn't get enough in the next shipment to satisfy all the pre-orders.... leaves many "pre-orderers" left waiting and waiting. They have a thread here on Head-Fi that is keeping us informed of the expected availability.... search for it. Ordered many things from them and sometimes they even ship within a few HOURS of the order placement. Highly recommended.

i know that thread...is it the fiio E17 availbility thread? i don't think it's been updated recently or really much :/

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,192 of 6,777

Quote:

Well, I don't agree. You're either going to sell the "F" ing things or not. I'd be one of the many to pre-order and wait. I don't have time to stay on the Miccastore site only to refresh my page every five minutes or otherwise miss out. <sarcastic> A terrible way to do business. Also, receiving a poor response from them makes me glad I didn't do business with them.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,193 of 6,777

Quote:
Well, I don't agree. You're either going to sell the "F" ing things or not. I'd be one of the many to pre-order and wait. I don't have time to stay on the Miccastore site only to refresh my page every five minutes or otherwise miss out. <sarcastic> A terrible way to do business. Also, receiving a poor response from them makes me glad I didn't do business with them.

well i guess i would be pretty.....well you know what if i got such a one sentence responce from them too but still :/ you know. Did you choose fedex with mp4nation or the free earbud?

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,196 of 6,777
Because CeliOS praised a lot the EQ function of E17, I'm still trying to find a way to test those difference.

I have tested again, E17 vs E17+E9, and I am more confirmed that HD600 needs an E9. E17 is quite powerful, if I did not make such comparison, I would say that HD600 pairing with E17 has already a quite good result. But listening to the same songs, having E9 you can find the music is much more dynamic and the sound is brighter not because of a high volume.

Btw, I constantly got a feeling that the song was sung in a room or "in a space"...it is not an echo, but a kind of "dreamy" feeling. I don't know it is a good or bad thing. But like Sarach Brightman, orginally I love her a lot, but now it just becomes a bit too fake. Others, like Andrea Bocelli, the music does not give me this feeling.

I have tested also the EQ function. As I said, it is repugnant to have double amplifying, not matter connecting E17 and E9 through the dock or 3.5mm. It loses too much clarity.
So, I tested the EQ function with only E17 (without E9). So, my HD600 may not have enough power.

I've said in the previous post said something negative about the treble of HD600. I meant that the extremely high frequency, like violin in "song from a secret garden", if you know, there is some part which the violin turns into very very high pinch, and I had a feeling that HD600 just can't reach there.

That's why I think an EQ is needed.

I changed my mind today.

After comparing the same music (song from a secret garden), I found that treble + 2, has already given me a feeling of artificial, and it's uncomfortable for my ear.
My current conclusion is that the EQ does not help HD600, not to mention eliminating the "veil" feeling.

Now, I go back to the original setting, E9+E17(bypass)+HD600, and listen to "song from a secret garden" and "pastorale" again.
I would now say, the high pinch is the most comfortable. 

I was not satisfied with the high pinch of HD600, maybe due to I have used my Etymotic ER6 to listen Secret Garden a lot. It has a bright high, but very restricted, if not none, bass.
So, I just take out my ER6 and give it a test. The high frequency is really what I am used to.  There is not much soundstage for this earphone, no bass, but the very high pinch is really amazing. I still want to say my ER6 win HD600 in this tiny bit. To conclude, I re-confirm the insufficiency of HD600 in the very very high pinch. You just do have the feeling of "itchy".

Lastly, let me add a bit information about the improvement that E17 gave to ER6, though I don't know whether there is other people using ER6 in this forum.
Similarly, there is more clarity. The bass is significantly better. (But I was told that ER6 needs an amp, which I didn't have).

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,197 of 6,777
THank u duyu! I have read and will keep all this in mind. I know u r trying to stay neutral and not hype or do anything biased. But ur post will leave readers wonderi g.... What the conclusion is for the e17 plus 600/650 is it a good pairing byitself? With e9? For the price range, anything better? Recommend for price? Thank u

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #1,199 of 6,777
Well said, I still have to audition a 'broad spectrum' gear (can or amp or both) that can deliver near nirvana fidelity on all types of genres.  It seems some are suited for classical and some for jazz music and some... for whatever their taste is.  I find the HD 600 well suited for classical music while my Grados (80i & 325) for classic rock and Jazz.  I guess it depends on our sensitivity for a particular type of music and beat.  I would really appreciate if some dudes out there can cite their personal musical experience specific to the type of gears & genre. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back