FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,096 of 6,777
This is a very impressive little unit. While it's not ideal with my DT700/600, it's 90% fine driving them (deep bass struggles some). My D7000 sound very nice. I wil use this with my X10 IEM primarily and these sound great too. I have my Master-5/Ref-8 combo here and I am A/Bing the same song between it and the the E17 with my laptop. Surprisingly close. The Master-5/Ref-8 has it beat across the board for clarity, blacker background, bass definition, etc. but it's really a lot closer than I want to admit. I can tell this has been tuned for a little fuller sound which is great by me.

Maybe the guys that scream spec's (after a certain point) are all that matter aren't so crazy 
confused_face.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,097 of 6,777

Quote:
This is a very impressive little unit. While it's not ideal with my DT700/600, it's 90% fine driving them (deep bass struggles some). My D7000 sound very nice. I wil use this with my X10 IEM primarily and these sound great too. I have my Master-5/Ref-8 combo here and I am A/Bing the same song between it and the the E17 with my laptop. Surprisingly close. The Master-5/Ref-8 has it beat across the board for clarity, blacker background, bass definition, etc. but it's really a lot closer than I want to admit. I can tell this has been tuned for a little fuller sound which is great by me.

Maybe the guys that scream spec's (after a certain point) are all that matter aren't so crazy 
confused_face.gif

you mean teh Wolfson WM8740, the USB and Tenor receivers...the 24/192 KHz smapling through S/PDIF...the digital balance volume....like that? and how others have said that pico slim at $500 better watch out.... you mean that? lol

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,099 of 6,777
Quote:
Hope you can understand that our Europe sales agents have to pay higher VAT and Customs Fee. I will not suggest you buy from other region because local dealer can provide better service, 

especially when you need to get replacement or have any trouble. 

Sure but advancedmp3players.co.uk have it for £99, mp4nation works out at £89, so not sure why amazon.de is £130

Can't believe advancedmp3players are saying 16.03.12 for stock now, that's ridiculous

Feiao when will other UK/EU retailers be receiving stock?

I think I'm just going to take the risk and pre-order from mp4nation, it's cheapest of all the retailers and by the looks of things now it will still get here fastest.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,100 of 6,777

Quote:
No, more like THD, freq. response, etc.
I'd still rather strap a portable NFB12 to a laptop if that were possible. If only Kingwa would produce a portable DAC/amp, I can't seem to talk him into it.

but he won't...and so. you have the E17 :D

Quote:
Sure but advancedmp3players.co.uk have it for £99, mp4nation works out at £89, so not sure why amazon.de is £130

Can't believe advancedmp3players are saying 16.03.12 for stock now, that's ridiculous

Feiao when will other UK/EU retailers be receiving stock?

I think I'm just going to take the risk and pre-order from mp4nation, it's cheapest of all the retailers and by the looks of things now it will still get here fastest.

i don't see why not? mp4nation will receive mid february....they are in china as well. micca and most other places should receive late february to early march. time frame is close :/

MP4nation is safe and cheap. no problems. the only problem with them isn't actually them...but the proximity of most people to them makes any errors in the product and what not and need of RMA or support...and the language barrier makes it very hard.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,101 of 6,777

Quote:
but he won't...and so. you have the E17 :D

i don't see why not? mp4nation will receive mid february....they are in china as well. micca and most other places should receive late february to early march. time frame is close :/

MP4nation is safe and cheap. no problems. the only problem with them isn't actually them...but the proximity of most people to them makes any errors in the product and what not and need of RMA or support...and the language barrier makes it very hard.

I like MP4nation too... it sometimes takes longer, but it delivers.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,102 of 6,777
So. If I want to output sound to devices other than headphones, what's the output setting on the E17 that will give me the cleanest sound? In other words, whats the closest thing to using an L7 without actually using a L7? I know its probably with gain at 0. What about the volume? Also, is it safe for the E17 to be outputting from its headphone out to devices other than headphones? Perhaps to a mixer?

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,103 of 6,777

Quote:
So. If I want to output sound to devices other than headphones, what's the output setting on the E17 that will give me the cleanest sound? In other words, whats the closest thing to using an L7 without actually using a L7? I know its probably with gain at 0. What about the volume? Also, is it safe for the E17 to be outputting from its headphone out to devices other than headphones? Perhaps to a mixer?

i don't see why not. gainn 0 would of course. but since the E17 doesn't have any hiss usually even at gain 12 for sensitive IEM's below a certain range. doubt it matters.to make the E17 as close to the L7 design as possible without it and using another amp so like this
E17-->Another amp-->bookshelves/etc

would be..like u said. no gain, low volume(?). no EQ enabled

i have yet to test or don't know very much about bookshelves and dual amping. but.. my theory is..that the amp in the first place is just boosting the abysmal signal from teh DAC. and thus a low volume from E17 into another amp would be like it. but then there's the theory that since it's low....the amp might just be amping all the qualities of that low volume...or something...ehh we need more users for this part. answer plz. which theory or another is correct?

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #1,104 of 6,777

Quote:
i have yet to test or don't know very much about bookshelves and dual amping. but.. my theory is..that the amp in the first place is just boosting the abysmal signal from teh DAC. and thus a low volume from E17 into another amp would be like it. but then there's the theory that since it's low....the amp might just be amping all the qualities of that low volume...or something...ehh we need more users for this part. answer plz. which theory or another is correct?

Oh great gods of head-fi! We beseech thee!
Come help us in this time of doubt and uncertainty!

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,107 of 6,777

Set it at 0dB gain, max out the volume and you'll be fine. If you can't get enough volume, try 6dB gain but try not to max out on volume (* as low as you need).

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,108 of 6,777
Asgard:

32Ω: 1.56 W
50Ω: 1 W
100Ω: 500 mW
120Ω: 833 mW
300Ω: 167 mW
600Ω: 83 mW

Asgard and D2000/D5000

From what I've *heard*, it takes some of the "life" out of D2000/D5000

http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/1710

same with E17?

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,110 of 6,777
To everyone, the new batch of E17 will be available after 2 months, and will marked with ALPEN, that is the most noticeable different with first batch. also we have not find any big bug which need to be fixed so you don't need to worry about any 

different in SQ and features.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back