FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,081 of 6,777

Quote:
Any USB charger will be safe to charge E17 or any of our products that support USB charge.

Something you need to take care is

1, Make sure the charger is safe, there are some very poor quality USB charger in the market, and unfortunately it is made in China.

2, A high current output will be help to shorter the charge time. 

3, Usually the USB charger came with some smartphone with high quality and can be trusted, and the best is the original charger from Apple. of course, it is expensive than other, so 

a Nokia or Moto charger will be good options too!

Great! Thanks! 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,082 of 6,777

Quote:
Yep over £30 more expensive, are there any other UK/EU retailers I might have missed?

Hope you can understand that our Europe sales agents have to pay higher VAT and Customs Fee. I will not suggest you buy from other region because local dealer can provide better service, 

especially when you need to get replacement or have any trouble. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,083 of 6,777
The replies increase so rapid so sometimes it is hard to catch up the speed , LOL, but thanks everyone here who help us reply to other friends. it look like a big family and I love Head-Fi.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,084 of 6,777
Im not sure exactly what you are saying in your post.  First, line out is just that - a line-level out put.  That means there is no volume control so where your volume is set is irrelevant.  The LOD for the E17 is a line out to connect to another amp not a ipod but a LOD from the ipod would be used to connect to the E17.  so the only volume that would matter is the e17,

Quote:
If i were to connect this to an ipod/walkman via the LOD, do i control the volume via the E17 or the portable player? And should i max out the volume on the player before lining out?

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,085 of 6,777

Quote:
Main Stock Updated

Thank you for your order from Advanced MP3 Players. The product you have ordered is temporarily out of stock. We are currently awaiting a stock delivery of the FiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier with USB Digital Audio Convertor (DAC) from our supplier.
STOCK UPDATE: We are expecting stock to arrive on 16/03/2012.
If you wish to cancel or change your order, please reply to this email; otherwise, your order will be despatched as a priority when stock arrives. You will be kept regularly updated via email regarding the status of your order. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Aaaaaagghh!
Think I'll stick with my E6 for now

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,088 of 6,777

Quote:

U cant do 24bit portably (usually, audiophiles with fancy stuff and mnow how could do work around but for our purposes, no) when plugged into ur computer (windows pc) through usb or spdif/". In playback devices after e17 or spdif is selected and u hear audio playing but e17 still says 16bit. In that playback sevices menu click on the e17 or spdif and right click and properties. Scroll through the menus and once u see 44.1 khz or 48khz or something like that. There should be a drop down menu. Drop down and select what u want. If ur computer spdif does 24/192 set it to that. If not 24/96 is probably highest u can get. In mac it is in midi setup menu if i remember. I dont remeber full correct name. Google it if u cant find it by searching finder. When u r in just change outputs dropdown menu to 24bit by 96KHz. Mac osx is set to that as the highest supported by OS

Thank bowei,

I originally thought it is related to the setting in E17.

In my case, using win XP, foobar2000.
We can set 24 bit output in foobar2000->Library->configure->playback->output
+
SACD-> DSD&&176400&Direct
(you have to install SACD plugin, and have the SACD file)

successfully output 96k/24bit through USB, will compare the difference between 16bit later.

Listening E17 now with HD600 (without E9, because my E9 was unexpectedly E9i lol)
For vocal, I feel the sound signature is (much) colder than my original miniplayer+E9 setting/ or even direct playback from the notebook.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,089 of 6,777
I dont think anyone has tried this yet, but I was sitting at work with my XBOX360 S and didnt want to bother others, so I connected my FiiO E17 to the Optical connection and then ran my Westone ES5s to the E17 and it worked like a charm.  That extra Optical cable provided when I purchased from the Micca Store worked excellent.  Its amazing how much this little device can do with such great sound quality and ease of use to the end user.

Other Note: I am not sure what your all talking with regards to the buzzing.  My E17 has been whisper quiet when songs are not playing and I have used many different headphones with the FiiO E17.

FiveThreeEcho

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,090 of 6,777
i have my second unit now for a few days. the first goes back because of the buzzing problem i had described here. the new unit has the same problem. it is a silent but constant electric buzzing you can hear, if no music is playing and the volume is under 30. at volume 40 it decreases significant and i think it comes from the amp section of the e17. it increases shortly a little bit if you push the input button of the e17. if you do this there is shortly additional static crackling. i definitely hear it with my shure se535. it is hard to hear with my beyerdynamic t70p unless it is really silent but it is also there. it is not a big deal but i would not recommend the e17 for high-quality iem. may be fiio can address this problem with a new firmware but i suppose it is in the hardware.

beyond this the e17 really ads soundquality to the output of my macbook pro and i would use the e17 mainly with my t70p (on the mbp, iphone and ipod nano). it is really a nice piece of technique and very affordable.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,094 of 6,777
Based on the headphones you have in your signature, I believe it's a worthy upgrade. YMMV.  I'm keeping both for different uses.  The E17 will drive my portables and sometimes the HD650's and the E10 will be relegated to the basement as a dac/line out to powered speakers.

BTW.. to all.. this is my 4th FiiO product and they have all been perfect except the E10 and iPhone remote cable connection.  It's fixed with the E17.

Quote:
MickeyVee, now that you've compared both the E10 and the E17, and even if the E17 is better, do you think it's worth the upgrade from the E10 (for use only as a desktop dac+amp combo)? For me, I assume it will be at least $100 upgrade cost... 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,095 of 6,777

Quote:
Thank bowei,

I originally thought it is related to the setting in E17.

Listening E17 now with HD600 (without E9, because my E9 was unexpectedly E9i lol)
For vocal, I feel the sound signature is (much) colder than my original miniplayer+E9 setting/ or even direct playback from the notebook.

haha your welcome but as a nother user posted. it just displays 24 bit and 96KHz as that is what your computer is set too. it will down sample everything if it's not that.

it might be colder bc A:you have high impendance headphones B:your notebook and other consumer itmes have "colored" sound i guess. try some EQ

Quote:
The replies increase so rapid so sometimes it is hard to catch up the speed , LOL, but thanks everyone here who help us reply to other friends. it look like a big family and I love Head-Fi.

We are friendly :D hopefully we can get bigger in the world

Quote:
I dont think anyone has tried this yet, but I was sitting at work with my XBOX360 S and didnt want to bother others, so I connected my FiiO E17 to the Optical connection and then ran my Westone ES5s to the E17 and it worked like a charm.  That extra Optical cable provided when I purchased from the Micca Store worked excellent.  Its amazing how much this little device can do with such great sound quality and ease of use to the end user.

Other Note: I am not sure what your all talking with regards to the buzzing.  My E17 has been whisper quiet when songs are not playing and I have used many different headphones with the FiiO E17.

FiveThreeEcho

haha yeah. how does it sound with the xbox? 

mine has buzz.. 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back