FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #931 of 6,777

Quote:
Dang! My first negative - unfortunately the E17 can't be used with the iPad and the camera connection kit. "The attached device uses too much power" or something to that effect. I tried using a dual-powered USB to microUSB cable and alas I still get the same error message. Also tried using the USB DAC through the E9, hoping its external power supply might help, but no go. Bummer.... ;(

Guess I have a reason to hold on to my Pico - it works perfectly going iPad --> CCK --> Pico microUSB --> Pico headphone out, choosing USB Audio Device from the list of outputs on the iPad. Sigh.... wonder if it's something that can be fixed via a firmware update or if we need a special microUSB cable that ensures the E17 doesn't try to draw power from the iPad?

Dale

Have you tried turning off USB charging on the E17?

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #932 of 6,777

Quote:

Have you tried turning off USB charging on the E17?

Alas, yes I did. Tried that before trying the other options.... :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #933 of 6,777

Quote:

Alas, yes I did. Tried that before trying the other options.... :frowning2:

E17 support iPad but you need to turn off the USB charger in the setup menu so it will not drain the power from iPad. that is the only reason that can explain why you can not connect E17 to iPad!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #934 of 6,777

Quote:
E17 support iPad but you need to turn off the USB charger in the setup menu so it will not drain the power from iPad. that is the only reason that can explain why you can not connect E17 to iPad!

But I did try that - as stated above, it was the first thing I tried. No matter what, I can't get the iPad 2 with camera connection kit to work with my e17. It still works with my Pico, but I'll borrow my brother-in-law's CCK just to make sure it isn't a problem with mine. I tried all different lengths of USB cables, including the one that came with the E17. Here are the errors I get and a picture showing that I have USB Charging set to Off:

Any other suggestions?

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #935 of 6,777
Very sorry for my mistake, E17 can not support iPad/iPad2 because it consume about 150mA current from the USB port which is exceed what iPad can provide. even when the USB charge is turn off! 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #936 of 6,777
Just bought the E17, cant get it to run on usb however AUX is fine.

It seems like it cant find the drivers, in device manager the only thing that isnt installed is a USB driver of some sort.

Did anyone on Windows 7 64bit have any issues?

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #937 of 6,777

My broken E7. At least now I'm 100% certain it's not my E9 or the L7 that was giving me problems with losing a channel, and other distortions. It works through USB, but with a useless proprietary connection, I don't have much faith in docking ANYTHING to the E9. If I were to get the Alpen, I'd definitely hook it up via L7 to the line in. That dock connection is just asking for problems. It's too flimsy.

My E7 is a 1st gen, so it lasted me this long at least.

It's a sign, I need a new DAC. Lol.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #938 of 6,777

Quote:
Any place have the E17 in stock in the US?

go check their site. like the other guy said. sold out in america in 7 hours. mp4nation still has pre orders. but many people don't order that way. the people that would pre order from hong kong already pre ordered in the first batch so the second one is still availble(not sold out) . since it's not sold out..how do we know the E17 is still popular.....the E17 sold out in 7 hours on most sites and even more people want it know due to the hype and our reviews and impressions in this thread. the second batch window is going to be short. follow micca on twitter and check site a lot. the only info we have is that mp4nation will receive second batch(size of batch unknown) around mid february. this should put micca and other american distro's at getting second batch at around late february. 

Quote:
1430 hrs: E17 + E9 combo received, rather picked up from post office since parcel driver couldn't find my condo
1500 hrs: External USB charger used to fully charge E17 while I ran some errands
1930 hrs: E17 charge LED turned off - full charge took about 4.5 hrs
1945 hrs: After examining E17 menus/manual, attached DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans with volume set to 10 and started playing my usual suspects
2000 hrs: Macbook Pro set to output 96KHz, 24 bit over USB DAC - settled on volume of 40 with gain at 12dB for the majority of the tracks tested
2015 hrs: Changed my underwear, dried the tears and took some ibuprofen to ease the muscle pain from the perpetual smile on my face :D

Seriously - I LIKE IT!! Very similar sound stage compared to my Pico. Fiio obviously did a great job implementing the WM8740 DAC. I knew the DT770 250 ohm were hard to drive, and I was hoping for more power using the E17 by itself, but it still bests my Pico by a pretty decent margin. Trying it docked with the E9 was even more enjoyable. Now I had the power to really drive the DT770s well. Gain on the E17 has no effect when using "Line Out" or "Fixed mode (not LO Bypass). That did however change the sound signature of the E17 - I'm now using it on "LO Bypass" and taking advantage of the eq features of the E17. So far I've been able to produce a pretty accurate copy of the E17s signature, but with considerably more power left over to drive the DT770s. The gain on the back of the E9 is set to High - for use with high impedance/low sensitivity headphones like the 250 ohm DT770s.

I've got LOTS more playing to do, but so far, consider me very impressed. The E17 + E9 bundle is about half the cost of my Pico and really accomplishes everything the Pico gave me and more. Well done Fiio!

Dale

i thought u burned in 1430 hours when i first saw this lol :D how does the E17 do by itself with DT 770 with 250 ohm? so 40 voume at 12 gain is enough right?

Quote:

My broken E7. At least now I'm 100% certain it's not my E9 or the L7 that was giving me problems with losing a channel, and other distortions. It works through USB, but with a useless proprietary connection, I don't have much faith in docking ANYTHING to the E9. If I were to get the Alpen, I'd definitely hook it up via L7 to the line in. That dock connection is just asking for problems. It's too flimsy.
My E7 is a 1st gen, so it lasted me this long at least.
It's a sign, I need a new DAC. Lol.

now u can upgrade :D :D

Quote:
Just bought the E17, cant get it to run on usb however AUX is fine.

It seems like it cant find the drivers, in device manager the only thing that isnt installed is a USB driver of some sort.

Did anyone on Windows 7 64bit have any issues?

the E17 has some problems with USB drivers in windows. look through the threads around here. you are the third person to report this. it might be an E17 usb receiver problem with select or kinds of windows 7 USB drivers. or could just be the USB drivers themselves.t he other two said they re installed windows usb drivers (southbridge) and what not and still report same problem on their select computer. even with a re format/reinstal of windows but it played fine on his computer through linux :/ it's very hard to tell if this is FiiO's USB chip being incompatible with select widows 7 drivers or the opposite. or just both. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #939 of 6,777
Quote:

the E17 has some problems with USB drivers in windows. look through the threads around here. you are the third person to report this. it might be an E17 usb receiver problem with select or kinds of windows 7 USB drivers. or could just be the USB drivers themselves.t he other two said they re installed windows usb drivers (southbridge) and what not and still report same problem on their select computer. even with a re format/reinstal of windows but it played fine on his computer through linux :/ it's very hard to tell if this is FiiO's USB chip being incompatible with select widows 7 drivers or the opposite. or just both.

This is concerning me as I'm running Windows 7 and was eagerly awaiting the 2nd batch.

How many people are using the E17 with Windows 7 without any issues so far?

Feiao what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #940 of 6,777

Quote:

This is concerning me as I'm running Windows 7 and was eagerly awaiting the 2nd batch.

Thanks

i have no issues. if you read clieos's review it said there might be some bad apples. but the thing is. the E17's for the other two member's worked on any other computer and OS even on same computer with the e17...meaning this can't be a bad apple thing. unless there's faulty model's that discrimnate Win 7 drivers....i don't know the liklyness of this as it was reported that it works fine and perfect on others

So yeah...the problem needs to be tested at the software and hardware level. and even then. fiio or someone would need to get the offending E17 and computer with the OS win 7 that doesn't work and do a thorough test....worth it? i don't know. i don't even know if fiio can. this is just like other sound cards not working due to incompatability. i really and nobody can really call fiio out for this one...considering 3 people out of how many hundreds to a thousand are reporting problems. i don't know what the combined first batch of the E17 was. but it's all sold out in America......that means something .....especially when it sold out in hours with more still wanting to get there hands on it. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #941 of 6,777
Don't worry. I guess most are fine. I have both E17 and E10 working well on my 2 win7 64bit laptops.

Quote:

Thanks

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #942 of 6,777

Quote:
Very sorry for my mistake, E17 can not support iPad/iPad2 because it consume about 150mA current from the USB port which is exceed what iPad can provide. even when the USB charge is turn off! 

No problem - it would have been a nice plus if the E17 had worked with the iPad and camera connection kit. That said, I'm still very impressed with what the E17 does do, and those things it does very well. I'm still quite satisfied with my purchase.

Dale

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #944 of 6,777

Quote:
No problem - it would have been a nice plus if the E17 had worked with the iPad and camera connection kit. That said, I'm still very impressed with what the E17 does do, and those things it does very well. I'm still quite satisfied with my purchase.

Dale

im sorry. you must have missed my qeustion since i put it in a mass quote post. but how do you think or how does the E17 do by itself with 250 ohm beyers? is 40 volume at 12dB gain enough? or. is it ..just enough?

I'm going to guess. Pico and many other companies are going to start having problems from FiiO :D the FiiO nation is pretty large especially since so many newbies have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back