FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #916 of 6,777

Quote:
hhaha. that's why i said to go try it with others first before going E17 is broken-ed

Well, it started working properly with a power cycle before I even tried another laptop, so it could still be the E17. Time will tell.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #918 of 6,777

Quote:
Ok, has to be my laptops drivers.  Even installing Windows 7 x64 fresh did not fix it.

Oo sorry man. Fiio look here. This brave sould re installed windows to make sure it wasnt ur fault!!

Im sorry for that man. Could there be some problem with the e17 usb chip not working well with specific usb ports or southbridges

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #919 of 6,777

Quote:
Oo sorry man. Fiio look here. This brave sould re installed windows to make sure it wasnt ur fault!!

Im sorry for that man. Could there be some problem with the e17 usb chip not working well with specific usb ports or southbridges

Well, it would have to be the Win. 7 driver for those things.  Ubuntu plays through the E17 just fine.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #923 of 6,777
Kinda of an apple to orange test...Anyone test this versus the Hifiman EF2A?

Around the same price (not portable...) same idea...USB DAC/amp.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #924 of 6,777
1430 hrs: E17 + E9 combo received, rather picked up from post office since parcel driver couldn't find my condo
1500 hrs: External USB charger used to fully charge E17 while I ran some errands
1930 hrs: E17 charge LED turned off - full charge took about 4.5 hrs
1945 hrs: After examining E17 menus/manual, attached DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans with volume set to 10 and started playing my usual suspects
2000 hrs: Macbook Pro set to output 96KHz, 24 bit over USB DAC - settled on volume of 40 with gain at 12dB for the majority of the tracks tested
2015 hrs: Changed my underwear, dried the tears and took some ibuprofen to ease the muscle pain from the perpetual smile on my face :D

Seriously - I LIKE IT!! Very similar sound stage compared to my Pico. Fiio obviously did a great job implementing the WM8740 DAC. I knew the DT770 250 ohm were hard to drive, and I was hoping for more power using the E17 by itself, but it still bests my Pico by a pretty decent margin. Trying it docked with the E9 was even more enjoyable. Now I had the power to really drive the DT770s well. Gain on the E17 has no effect when using "Line Out" or "Fixed mode (not LO Bypass). That did however change the sound signature of the E17 - I'm now using it on "LO Bypass" and taking advantage of the eq features of the E17. So far I've been able to produce a pretty accurate copy of the E17s signature, but with considerably more power left over to drive the DT770s. The gain on the back of the E9 is set to High - for use with high impedance/low sensitivity headphones like the 250 ohm DT770s.

I've got LOTS more playing to do, but so far, consider me very impressed. The E17 + E9 bundle is about half the cost of my Pico and really accomplishes everything the Pico gave me and more. Well done Fiio!

Dale

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #929 of 6,777

Quote:
I've got LOTS more playing to do, but so far, consider me very impressed. The E17 + E9 bundle is about half the cost of my Pico and really accomplishes everything the Pico gave me and more. Well done Fiio!

Dang! My first negative - unfortunately the E17 can't be used with the iPad and the camera connection kit. "The attached device uses too much power" or something to that effect. I tried using a dual-powered USB to microUSB cable and alas I still get the same error message. Also tried using the USB DAC through the E9, hoping its external power supply might help, but no go. Bummer.... ;(

Guess I have a reason to hold on to my Pico - it works perfectly going iPad --> CCK --> Pico microUSB --> Pico headphone out, choosing USB Audio Device from the list of outputs on the iPad. Sigh.... wonder if it's something that can be fixed via a firmware update or if we need a special microUSB cable that ensures the E17 doesn't try to draw power from the iPad?

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back