FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #826 of 6,777
Second miccastore.com...  they usually thow in some extras... optical cable and such... they only display items that are in stock, so have to keep checking. I believe they are in Virginia and they ship FAST.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #827 of 6,777

Quote:
Where is the safest site to buy the E17? Can't find it anywhere. 

I found mp4nation but is it legit? And what is their return policy?

it is legit. only problem is the fact it is in china. that is really the only reason why about 1/10 reviews for it are bad. i would recommend waiting until miccastore gets it back in stock(late february) mp4nation gets in stock in mid february since it's already in china. only diff is you can't preorder on miccastore(i am willing to bet it will be sold out again. headphonebar, and miccastore and the others sold out within hours on the 24th and now that fame has gotten high...yeah) there is currently no trace of it on the miccastore. they removed it after sold out since they dont do pre orders. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #829 of 6,777

Quote:
Second miccastore.com...  they usually thow in some extras... optical cable and such... they only display items that are in stock, so have to keep checking. I believe they are in Virginia and they ship FAST.

hha i bought it about a bit micca store officially announced on twitter that they had it. and after i bought it and the hype adrenaline and sugar stopped. i posted here and on availbility thread. and yeah. i got a great deal. i love the fiio shirt :D

Quote:
Any minute now....... :D

>_< but stil no!!

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #830 of 6,777

Quote:
One question though, can it be charged using the iPhone wall charger (with the FiiO supplied cable)?  Instead of plugging into a USB port?  iPhone wall charger puts out 5v at 1 amp into the USB connection....  I looked around this thread (yes, searched), but didn't see this answered.  And, the thread is too long now (52 pages with my setup) to read it all.

Any USB charger that puts out 5V / 500mA should be more than enough to charge E17.

Quote:
... The only question that I am wondering about is why only package six rubber feet, not eight?  Is there anyway to purchase more, since I want to be able to protect the front and back once I start banding it to my iPhone4S.

You can get your own rubber feet from DIY / home improvement store easily. FiiO includes 6 but all you need is 4. The extra 2 is just, well, extra.

Quote:
Once you get it to turn on, then its a breeze. First time you press the Menu button, you will see the settings for treble, bass and balance in that order. You scroll down, and you'll see gain (0db, 6db, 12db) - this mostly depends on the impedance of your headphone, usb charging (on/off), sleep, max vol, vol memory, system (fw, runtime, default set) (can somebody explain what that is?). Below the menu button, you have the input button where you toggle between the zillion inputs that this beast has. And below that is that darn hold switch.

Use the lowest gain needed. If you can't get enough volume, then change it to a higher gain. For most headphone, 6dB should suffice.

Quote:
Ok, so it may even be specific to my unit. But... when you haven't changed the volume for a while, and then you suddenly hit one of the volume buttons, it doesn't change on the first press. After that its fine, no problem. Now wait a couple of seconds, and change the volume again. Huh? Wat up FiiO? (Or is it just me? :D)

It is to avoid any accidental press on the volume bottom.

Quote:
Loving my E17 thus far, though it's not playing nice with my E9 Amp via the dock connector.  Running a line from the E17 headphone jack to the E9 line-in at the moment until I can fix the problem, which seems to have existed since the old E7/E9 days:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540221/fiio-e7-e9-windows-7/

Could be the dock connector on the E9. Maybe it is dusty?

Quote:
And guys, I think we may be missing the most important question here:  did you put on any rubber feet?

There should be double sided tape under the rubber feet. You might have peer it off when you remove the rubber feet from the rubber pad.

Quote:
active speakers are usually 4 or 8 ohms. that's not in the supported impendance of E17. if you read up on impendance. it's nothing bad really. but for audiophiles it has slight artifact effects that could happen from this. and...most don't want to dual amp :D

Active (self-powered) speakers don't have too low of an impedance. Passive speakers are. Active speakers have its own power amp inside so it doesn't care what kind of source it is connected to as these source do not drive the speaker directly.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #832 of 6,777

Quote:
There he is! The great ClieOS. I love how you randomly pop up and answer everybody's questions all in one post! Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it.

tape on rubber slip things were a big help to me :D and yeah :D

do any of you here have ultrasone's!? well if you do. pop that demo CD in. rip it in whatever lossless format you want...and play the songs. i recommend EQ treble +4 to +6 and bass at 0. i recommend the classical peices and fruerwork2002...wow. just wow with E17..just wow.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #833 of 6,777
I know which CD you are talking about :p I love the wave song and the first weird jazz kinda song.

Interesting how you find the HFI580 to be lacking in treble? When I had my DJ1 and Fiio E5 I used to put some bass boost ON because they respond so well to EQing.
Quote:
tape on rubber slip things were a big help to me :D and yeah :D

do any of you here have ultrasone's!? well if you do. pop that demo CD in. rip it in whatever lossless format you want...and play the songs. i recommend EQ treble +4 to +6 and bass at 0. i recommend the classical peices and fruerwork2002...wow. just wow with E17..just wow.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #834 of 6,777

Quote:
There he is. The great ClieOS! I love how you randomly pop up and answer everybody's questions all in one post! Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it.

I don't randomly pop up, just taking the time off to eat and sleep...
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #835 of 6,777

Quote:
I know which CD you are talking about :p I love the wave song and the first weird jazz kinda song.

Interesting how you find the HFI580 to be lacking in treble? When I had my DJ1 and Fiio E5 I used to put some bass boost ON because they respond so well to EQing.

treble. if you read my HFI 580 review(it's the first review listed for most times you search HFI 580) i think s logic veils it a bit. so i like a bit more treble. im a vocal person :D

I love the wave song too. but it's a bit too complicated at times and the pops of fruerwork is just amazing :D

]ok ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. i whip'd out my long mini sub to USB cable. plugged it into my main self built gaming desktop. and plugeed my E17 into it! ahhhh

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #840 of 6,777

Quote:
The Wolfson WM8740 DAC is used in models up to $400 
L3000.gif

and as customary o head-fi:

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet"

Even higher priced units use the Wolfson 8740 - my Pico DAC/amp cost and still sells new for $500. But as we discussed earlier in the thread, just because the same DAC is used in multiple devices, it won't necessarily sound the same in all of them. It's all of the ancillary design and components that really determine the sound signature.

Still, based on the reviews and the comments here, I have a pretty strong suspicion that the 8740 implementation in the E17 is very well done, producing an output that the amplifier section can really build on. I think I'll find that the E17 matches the output of my Pico pretty closely, but with the E17 having the extra amplification that the Pico is lacking.

Alas I'll have to wait until sometime on Monday to confirm my suspicions. My E17 + E9 bundle is still sitting at the post office and won't be delivered until then. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back