FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #811 of 6,777

Quote:
Well I have a 'soft touch' case on my iPod touch, but even in bands the E17 slides a bit on the back.

Man, the DAC in this is nice.  Desktop sounds even better than the iPod at the moment.

I do wish the 'Vol. Save' feature saved the different levels for each input.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, I let mine charge only.  No use when charging it so it might have been faster.

haha the DAC IS nice. it's a wolfson. and im using optical..even better :D

im using and charging

Quote:
I even tried licking the bottom to see if it was anything like the glue on envelopes. No luck :D

haha...really lick didn't work? hmm i need to check this out tmmrw when i try it. i think ur smiley face is backwards :D

Quote:
My other 'securing to a source' idea was to go out and buy a bunch of velcro dots.  Put the rough dots on the E17.  Then attach soft dots to them, then press onto a source.  Peel off, place new soft dots on the E17 hard dots, repeat for all sources.  At least then the sources would all have soft dots on them for pocketing without the source.

I dunno....

Also, does anyone else's OLED screen have a scan line on it when refreshing?

ahah that's a good idea. i talked about velcro a couple pages back

yep i do. i noticed it. doesn't really bother me. sometimes it's smooth. other times. lines of pixels dissapear from diff sections of the screen when refreshing...i don't really care. fiio needed a cheap screen and it works. i haven't heard of any problems on the E7 so im not worrying.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #812 of 6,777

Quote:
yep i do. i noticed it. doesn't really bother me. sometimes it's smooth. other times. lines of pixels dissapear from diff sections of the screen when refreshing...i don't really care. fiio needed a cheap screen and it works. i haven't heard of any problems on the E7 so im not worrying.

Cool, I figured it was normal, but I wanted to check.

My desktop and laptop don't have optical, so I wont be using that a lot.

And the SPDIF connector on my soundcard only does 24/96 anyway.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #813 of 6,777

Quote:
Cool, I figured it was normal, but I wanted to check.

My desktop and laptop don't have optical, so I wont be using that a lot.

And the SPDIF connector on my soundcard only does 24/96 anyway.

haha yeah. i thought about asking too. it's too perfect...we need to call out every blemish...quick!

AHAHHHH theres a spec of dirt on the screen!!!! imperfection!!!

ahah. both my laptop and desktop have optical. my macbook pro only supports 96KHz(OSX limits it) but my desktop(windows) does 192KHz :D wooooo :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #815 of 6,777

Quote:
Is the headphone out ok for computer speakers? Any recommended settings? Or would it be better to get a L7 and bypass the amp altogether?

Computer-->E17--L7--->active speakers would be best

if you had a PMP and at a friends house

PMP+E17-->Active speakers would do.

only diff is. active speakers (most of time) have thier own built in amps. dual amping...is not audiophile recommended i guess.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #816 of 6,777
New Head-fier here.

Brought the E17.. and run digital out from my working pc... I would say this little box is really amazing...

Bands instruments is awesome clear..

Got E11 as well but felt E17 sound much fuller... might be because of the DAC.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #817 of 6,777

Quote:
New Head-fier here.

Brought the E17.. and run digital out from my working pc... I would say this little box is really amazing...

Bands instruments is awesome clear..

Got E11 as well but felt E17 sound much fuller... might be because of the DAC.

yeah the E11 does not have an DAC and all the other fancy new improvements on the E17 :D . The Wolfson WM8740 DAC is used in models up to $400 
L3000.gif

and as customary o head-fi:

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet"

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #818 of 6,777

Quote:
Computer-->E17--L7--->active speakers would be best

if you had a PMP and at a friends house

PMP+E17-->Active speakers would do.

only diff is. active speakers (most of time) have thier own built in amps. dual amping...is not audiophile recommended i guess.

Hmm. Got it. I guess anything with a volume knob has some kind of amp in it. I have a Bose Companion 3 (did not pay for it. uncle left it :D). And they don't sound too bad directly out of the computer. And I really can't tell the difference when its plugged into the E17 headphone out.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #819 of 6,777

Quote:

Hmm. Got it. I guess anything with a volume knob has some kind of amp in it. I have a Bose Companion 3 (did not pay for it. uncle left it :D). And they don't sound too bad directly out of the computer. And I really can't tell the difference when its plugged into the E17 headphone out.

active speakers are usually 4 or 8 ohms. that's not in the supported impendance of E17. if you read up on impendance. it's nothing bad really. but for audiophiles it has slight artifact effects that could happen from this. and...most don't want to dual amp :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #821 of 6,777

Quote:
My baby's finally done charging! That took a while lol! I've been using it this whole time though. ( ~6 hours)

And thanks, bowei006.

6 hours! 
blink.gif

confused_face(1).gif

ph34r.gif

eek.gif

wow.. so ur using it right...and it's blurple...when it's done charging. does it go to blue?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #825 of 6,777

Quote:
Where is the safest site to buy the E17? Can't find it anywhere. 

I found mp4nation but is it legit? And what is their return policy?

http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx

That should give you a list of all the "legit" re-sellers of the E17.

If you're in the US, Miccastore is a good place to get it. Their first batch is sold out. Second batch arrives in mid-february. mp4nation is definitely legit, but I don't know about availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back