FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #796 of 6,777
Oooooo. First glitch! Its a very very small detail, so don't start getting concerned people. That fact that this is the only glitch I could find so far is a good thing.

Ok, so it may even be specific to my unit. But... when you haven't changed the volume for a while, and then you suddenly hit one of the volume buttons, it doesn't change on the first press. After that its fine, no problem. Now wait a couple of seconds, and change the volume again. Huh? Wat up FiiO? (Or is it just me? :D)

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #797 of 6,777

Quote:
Oooooo. First glitch! Its a very very small detail, so don't start getting concerned people. That fact that this is the only glitch I could find so far is a good thing.

Ok, so it may even be specific to my unit. But... when you haven't changed the volume for a minute, and then you suddenly hit one of the volume buttons, it doesn't change on the first press. After that its fine, no problem. Now wait a couple of seconds, and change the volume again. Huh? Wat up FiiO? (Or is it just me? :D)

i think that's built into the firmware. i see lot's of devices that don't do the first press after unlock,boot,or set period of inactive time. :/ 

one question....when the heck does charging end!!!! ahh i'ts plugged into my mac and playing music. so the thing is blue and purple. i turn it off sometimes to see ...and it's red..meaning charging. i started charging at 4:00! it's now 8:30!! Y U NO!

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #799 of 6,777

Quote:
Aaaah. That sounds about right. I back down people! This thing is perfect!

i guess you thought about it and also realize there are/many devices that do that. i can't pinpoint or remember which one's i've ever used that do...but ..it's that feeling that it's normal ya know. :/

now...stupid charging!  Y U NO be done!

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #800 of 6,777

Quote:
i think that's built into the firmware. i see lot's of devices that don't do the first press after unlock,boot,or set period of inactive time. :/ 

one question....when the heck does charging end!!!! ahh i'ts plugged into my mac and playing music. so the thing is blue and purple. i turn it off sometimes to see ...and it's red..meaning charging. i started charging at 4:00! it's now 8:30!! Y U NO!

Mine took about 3 hours, but the USB ports on my motherboard charge at a 3x rate of normal ones (they give 450mA instead of 150mA).  They also charge items hooked up when the desktop is off :wink:  Handy feature.

But I'd give it at least 6 hours if you have other things hooked up via USB while charging.  The amount of available power is sometimes split among ports at the hub's base (even an internal hub).

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #802 of 6,777

Quote:
Mine took about 3 hours, but the USB ports on my motherboard charge at a 3x rate of normal ones (they give 450mA instead of 150mA).  They also charge items hooked up when the desktop is off :wink:  Handy feature.

But I'd give it at least 6 hours if you have other things hooked up via USB while charging.  The amount of available power is sometimes split among ports at the hub's base (even an internal hub).

im chargin with macbook pro and charging iphone...wait..my iphone...*unplugs*!! i forgot i had it plugged in!!! rawr..next time. this is plugging into an iphone's charger!

Quote:
Loving my E17 thus far, though it's not playing nice with my E9 Amp via the dock connector.  Running a line from the E17 headphone jack to the E9 line-in at the moment until I can fix the problem, which seems to have existed since the old E7/E9 days:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540221/fiio-e7-e9-windows-7/

really? are u using LO bypass? not that it seems to be what your problem is or could cause the problem

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #807 of 6,777

Quote:
How do you even find out if its done charging?

same question

Quote:
The red light went off on mine when charging was complete.

And guys, I think we may be missing the most important question here:  did you put on any rubber feet?

im currently using it too. i hope the light just goes to blue (from blurple) so i will know

nope. i used a case on my touch so i didn't need to use the rubber feet to create a buffer zone between DAP and amp(so metal won't scrath) and since i am using bands..it is already no slip. the device itself slips though. so i might put plastic feet on back of E17 so it won't move around too too much later :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #809 of 6,777

Quote:

same question

im currently using it too. i hope the light just goes to blue (from blurple) so i will know

nope. i used a case on my touch so i didn't need to use the rubber feet to create a buffer zone between DAP and amp(so metal won't scrath) and since i am using bands..it is already no slip. the device itself slips though. so i might put plastic feet on back of E17 so it won't move around too too much later :D

Well I have a 'soft touch' case on my iPod touch, but even in bands the E17 slides a bit on the back.

Man, the DAC in this is nice.  Desktop sounds even better than the iPod at the moment.

I do wish the 'Vol. Save' feature saved the different levels for each input.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, I let mine charge only.  No use when charging it so it might have been faster.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #810 of 6,777
My other 'securing to a source' idea was to go out and buy a bunch of velcro dots.  Put the rough dots on the E17.  Then attach soft dots to them, then press onto a source.  Peel off, place new soft dots on the E17 hard dots, repeat for all sources.  At least then the sources would all have soft dots on them for pocketing without the source.

I dunno....

Also, does anyone else's OLED screen have a scan line on it when refreshing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back