FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #226 of 6,777

Quote:
But, that E9 is only about $80 (I just got a new one from Amazon at that price) and while I agree that the review (Mike's at Headfonia?) did say that the 9 robbed some SQ from the 17 when used in conjunction, I didn't get the sense that it was a deal-breaker.  If you need the extra juice, $8/month is probably a worthwhile expense during the next few seasons that new Fiio project is going to take.  At least that's how I'm looking at it.  Plus, it'll have some resale value when the new 'E9' does finally come out, I suspect.

I still can't believe what Mike says, E17 is better than E9+E17...ClieOS has an explanation for that.  

So, ClieOS, 
did you test the difference between E17 and E9+E17, using a high impedance headphone?

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #227 of 6,777

Quote:
But, that E9 is only about $80 (I just got a new one from Amazon at that price) and while I agree that the review (Mike's at Headfonia?) did say that the 9 robbed some SQ from the 17 when used in conjunction, I didn't get the sense that it was a deal-breaker.  If you need the extra juice, $8/month is probably a worthwhile expense during the next few seasons that new Fiio project is going to take.  At least that's how I'm looking at it.  Plus, it'll have some resale value when the new 'E9' does finally come out, I suspect.

that's a good way of thinking about it. but that argument to me is like. Why i should buy the Triplefi10's right now or any headphones i want. or just buy the best so i won't spend excess money. :/ it's a great audiophile paradox

Quote:

I still can't believe what Mike says, E17 is better than E9+E17...ClieOS has an explanation for that.  

So, ClieOS, 
did you test the difference between E17 and E9+E17, using a high impedance headphone?

i think they meant it was better sound quality wise and regular headphones. of course high impendance one's would need the E9 to drive it to that sweet spot.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #228 of 6,777
True, Bowei.  I'm sure there are just as many conflicting opinions amongst the high-rollers here as to what that 'best' set-up is, too!  That's what I like about this website, though - you can do a lot of research for 'free' before you buy and, as you told me before, get a sense of who really knows what they are talking about to help make an educated decision.  In the end, though, it's still gonna cost ya, so better to set your budget and determine your 'acceptable loss' first.

P.S. I thought the TF10's WERE the best?  :wink:

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #229 of 6,777

Quote:
True, Bowei.  I'm sure there are just as many conflicting opinions amongst the high-rollers here as to what that 'best' set-up is, too!  That's what I like about this website, though - you can do a lot of research for 'free' before you buy and, as you told me before, get a sense of who really knows what they are talking about to help make an educated decision.  In the end, though, it's still gonna cost ya, so better to set your budget and determine your 'acceptable loss' first.

P.S. I thought the TF10's WERE the best?  :wink:

haha yeah, you have so many people giving you idea's and what not. Plus this site is extremely friendly. IHAVE NEVER SEEN a head fi'er troll any Beats fan that has come here. We troll on the Beats page but never to someone. That was a big part of why I liked this place
http://www.head-fi.org/pages/stats/top/range/30day/#members
lolololol when i saw this i felt prooud..very proud. 

Head-Fi is also very very informative and you can learn a lot. 

TF10's the Best? Best is very objective ya know. but no. They are one of the good non custom professional consumer one's to buy. But specicially custom one's are more or less the best. 
:) Im not an IEM person, just a headphone person

and sorry. i don't remember everything i have ever said to you. i remembeer u by the profile pic but that's it. As you can tell from that link to the members post page. it would be ridiculous of me to remember everyoe in this past month.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #230 of 6,777
Yeah, I was just kidding you about the UE's.  Although they are now $170 vs the 4 bills they cost when I got em.  Add to that a new cable ($40) and a reshell and you've got a pseudo-custom IEM for about what my first set cost me!

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #231 of 6,777

Quote:
Yeah, I was just kidding you about the UE's.  Although they are now $170 vs the 4 bills they cost when I got em.  Add to that a new cable ($40) and a reshell and you've got a pseudo-custom IEM for about what my first set cost me!

haha. they were on sale for $100 during black friday and can currently be easily had for $130 :) i'm not an IEM person so seeing the vi series cost $450 ....was a bit weird..and then the pro's. :/ wow it's hard to find what is so differnt but whatever. 
how are yu liking ur TF10's?

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #232 of 6,777

Quote:
that's a good way of thinking about it. but that argument to me is like. Why i should buy the Triplefi10's right now or any headphones i want. or just buy the best so i won't spend excess money. :/ it's a great audiophile paradox

i think they meant it was better sound quality wise and regular headphones. of course high impendance one's would need the E9 to drive it to that sweet spot.

You're right, my question is invalid. Sorry about that.

I was thinking about headphone with impedance around 300ohm~

But you're right... comparing E17 and E17+E9 does make much sense...

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #233 of 6,777
Bowei, I love em.  Like you, though, hard to tell a difference from one to another... I have the 5's and the 10's and I can run them off a splitter so that one ear has one 5 in it and the other ear has the opposite 10 in it and while I know the technical differences exist between the two, it's still pretty much balanced sound to me.  Maybe my ears are just average, who knows.  I am doing the reshell on both of them, though, just because I'm kinda sick of paying a relative fortune for freaking pieces of foam.  All the tips I've bought in the past 5 years could easily have paid for the reshell/cable upgrades, so counting my losses now and getting in on the deal.

And to bring this back to the Fiio E17, I can't wait to hear how they sound with that, as nice as they sound with the little E6!

P.S. The vi version, which I got, is just a cable difference with a mic and single-button toggle along the wire with the appropriate 3.5 mm phone plug.  I can swap that cable between either pair of IEM's and they both work with the phone, although the person on the other end of the call usually complains of audio quality on my end, so I wouldn't recommend it. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #234 of 6,777

Quote:
Bowei, I love em.  Like you, though, hard to tell a difference from one to another... I have the 5's and the 10's and I can run them off a splitter so that one ear has one 5 in it and the other ear has the opposite 10 in it and while I know the technical differences exist between the two, it's still pretty much balanced sound to me.  Maybe my ears are just average, who knows.  I am doing the reshell on both of them, though, just because I'm kinda sick of paying a relative fortune for freaking pieces of foam.  All the tips I've bought in the past 5 years could easily have paid for the reshell/cable upgrades, so counting my losses now and getting in on the deal.

And to bring this back to the Fiio E17, I can't wait to hear how they sound with that, as nice as they sound with the little E6!

P.S. The vi version, which I got, is just a cable difference with a mic and single-button toggle along the wire with the appropriate 3.5 mm phone plug.  I can swap that cable between either pair of IEM's and they both work with the phone, although the person on the other end of the call usually complains of audio quality on my end, so I wouldn't recommend it. 

why do you need to reshell your IEM's? is there a problem with the tips? What can you tell me about what i should do with the Triple Fi 10's in general and with detail?
The Pro series are $450 for some reason :/

Yeah I can't wait to hear the WM8740 :) also my E5 broke so i'm using my ipod with no LOD right now...it sounds so thin >_<

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #235 of 6,777

Quote:

So, ClieOS, 

Allow me to quote myself.

Quote:
I won't say I am disagreeing with Mike's opinion, but I am not in full agreement either. I can see my Mike might prefer E17's internal amp over E9, especially when paired with low impedance headphone. For those who know their E9, you should know there are output resistors on the headphone jack that will color the sound of low impedance headphone (10ohm on 1/4' jack and 33ohm on 1/8' jack, IIRC. These are there to stabilize the opamp output). I am listening to E9 via the 1/4' jack with IEM > 100ohm (ER4S, RE262) , so coloration (from output impedance) is minimum, if any at all.

Now lets talk about the difference first: E17's internal amp has wider soundstage and crispier sparkles. The sonic energy is mainly focus on the upper vocal and up. E9 on the other hand has (a lot) more power. It has excellent control over the bass note which is deep and well bodied while remains tight. It also resolves lower vocal better. The way I like to see them  - E17's internal amp is like a female punk rocker: aggressive, lively, and demands attention. E9 (w/ E17) is more like a tenor: powerful, warm and full of authority. I can't really say one is (very obviously) technically better than the other. They are certain things they are better than the other, but not in everything.  So my recommendation falls back to what they do best in the practical world - if you are using anything below 150ohm, E17 alone is enough. If you are using anything beyond 300ohm, E17+E9 makes better sense. For those in between, I think both can work out well (in different way) depends how you like to take your music.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #237 of 6,777
Is there any confirmation of what the power output is on the E17? I have found different ratings from various sources. And on the Fiio website, here it says in the comparison that it is 35mW x 2 @ 300-Ohm and here on the product info page it says >20mW (300Ω Loaded); which I am not sure what that means.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #238 of 6,777

Quote:
Is there any confirmation of what the power output is on the E17? I have found different ratings from various sources. And on the Fiio website, here it says in the comparison that it is 35mW x 2 @ 300-Ohm and here on the product info page it says >20mW (300Ω Loaded); which I am not sure what that means.

It amplifies @ 215mW @ 32 Ohms

"Loaded Voltage is the actual voltage crossing the atomizer, this is important so you can find the wattage being ran on your device."

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #239 of 6,777

Quote:
Have you recieved your replacement unit ClieOS? Just wondering when we can expect your in depth review.

I have received it, but there is a lot of testing to be done and I do have a day job, not to mention other review that needed to be written.

Quote:

Nothing conflicting about those two number, 35mW is >20mW. 300ohm means they connect to either a 300ohm headphone or (likely) dummy load to do the testing.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #240 of 6,777

Quote:
"Loaded Voltage is the actual voltage crossing the atomizer, this is important so you can find the wattage being ran on your device."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nothing conflicting about those two number, 35mW is >20mW. 300ohm means they connect to either a 300ohm headphone or (likely) dummy load to do the testing.

Thanks. I'm pretty new to headphones and related gear so I wasn't sure. I just got the DT880 and am trying to find out how well the E17 will be able to drive it (when USB powered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back