FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #107 of 6,777
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have heard that the ipad with camera connection kit supports digital output. But the problem is that my ipad is a 16GB version with not much space left, and the ipad is a bit too heavy.

What is iPure?

Meizu MX+ E17
Definitely agree that it is a very interesting combo.
Does MX support SD card? 

It may be also interesting to test whether it support 24bits playback. (if so, very cool, but I don't know whether there is such an app)

BTW, is there any short (portable) coaxial cable in the market?

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #108 of 6,777
sorry I guess I did name it wrong but that's how Im used to seeing it
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Quality-Video-Output/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IYNHIHCYO99ND&colid=2FO8QIUK9UGRK

Blue jean cable can make cables in any length you want but the very nature of a COAX type cable which is thick and doesn't like to bend and that I'm guessing you're looking for a short run with a 180deg bend in it, you may have a hard time finding what you're looking for.  Blue Jean's optical cables are extremely flexible though.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #110 of 6,777

Quote:
sorry I guess I did name it wrong but that's how Im used to seeing it
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Quality-Video-Output/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IYNHIHCYO99ND&colid=2FO8QIUK9UGRK

Blue jean cable can make cables in any length you want but the very nature of a COAX type cable which is thick and doesn't like to bend and that I'm guessing you're looking for a short run with a 180deg bend in it, you may have a hard time finding what you're looking for.  Blue Jean's optical cables are extremely flexible though.

Many Thanks, what an interesting device! 
And you're right, it is not portable..

Thanks for the information about blue jean cable! Do you think optical fiber is a better choice than coaxial cable?

Maybe, one day the dac will be completely seperated from a DAP...

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #112 of 6,777

Quote:
So for those who have pre-ordered from mp4nation, have you heard anything back about their estimate of the 13th as the ship date? I'm crossing my fingers but it seems too optimistic to me. As was said earlier it seems like it would be closer to the end of the month.

No, but the charge to my Bank was initiated today.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #113 of 6,777
I'd been waffling on preordering one or not, until I saw on mp4nation that the E17 uses the AD8397, which I adored in the Penguin Caffeine Pro. Between that, the digital volume control, and a built-in DAC, I'm really looking forward to it.

(How the hell I'm going to physically attach a Fuze to it seems like it'll be a bit of a puzzle, though.)

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #114 of 6,777
No, but the charge to my Bank was initiated today.

So for those who have pre-ordered from mp4nation, have you heard anything back about their estimate of the 13th as the ship date? I'm crossing my fingers but it seems too optimistic to me. As was said earlier it seems like it would be closer to the end of the month.

Asked the online chat today and recieved no response.

Am considering buying this as i just recieved the Audinst MX1 and while its a good dac the neutrality isn't really my thing. Something sounds off, too digital sounding. From the E10 reviews this seems warme, more natural and closer to the sound i've always loved in my other audio endeavours. Not worried much about not having quite so good technicals. Will only be $130 with the free IEMs makes it a better buy with the increase in SQ over E10. Does it sound like type of sound i want or is there something else?

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #115 of 6,777
FiiO is trying to ship it before the end of next week (before Chinese new year, which will be a week off in China). MP4 Nation is the closest international dealer to FiiO, so they should receive their stock first. But for now, it all depends on how fast FiiO can ship them out.

On a happier note, I just receive the replacement unit and it is all working well this time. Hooray!

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #116 of 6,777

Quote:
FiiO is trying to ship it before the end of next week (before Chinese new year, which will be a week off in China). MP4 Nation is the closest international dealer to FiiO, so they should receive their stock first. But for now, it all depends on how fast FiiO can ship them out.

On a happier note, I just receive the replacement unit and it is all working well this time. Hooray!

Can't wait your full review! :)

The Chinese Lunar New Year begins at JAN 23. Mp4nation, as I know, is a Hong Kong company. So, it takes time to transit the products from China to Hong Kong. Unless you choose Fedex, I guess we will probably receive the E17 in Feb. Have to be patient~

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #118 of 6,777

Quote:
If portability is not a concern, think this is worth the extra $60 vs the E10?

For the extra $60, you'll get...
1) Digital input with 24/192 support
2) Quite usable EQ with customizable treble and bass boost
3) Channel balance (useful for those who has imbalance in hearing)
4) Better SQ. On second listen, I think the SQ between the two units are too close to call for easy to drive headphone. Only with harder to drive headphone that I find E17 to be slightly better.
5) Portability (though not a concern here).
6) Just as good an USB DAC as E10.
7) Digital volume control (no imbalance for sensitive IEM).
8) Better selectable gain setting.

Does it worth the extra money? I'll think so. The only reason not to get it is that you already own an E10 and need none of the extra features on the E17. I don't know any portable amp / DAC that has as much features as  E17, not even for most amp that double E17's price.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #120 of 6,777
Yeah that's what I was comparing to, it's around ~70 vs ~130 so $50ish. I didn't factor in the headphones because I don't have a use for them but I suppose I could sell it.

Thanks ClieOS, thinking about getting one now. I have a pair of HD598s and a pair of ZX700s, both of which are not particularly hard to drive but I'm also using my onboard soundcard (integrated), wonder if I'll hear a huge difference...

Quote:
BTW,

It is not $60...

if
you preorder it now, which is around 128 (with a coupon code). You will get a free earphone which is worth $28.

I don't know the lowest price of E10 though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back