FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #136 of 6,777

Quote:

I absolutely agree with you. Even though I'm new to all this I can tell that my E11 has lots of power. I can barely stand listening past volume setting 4 on the E11. It just feels strong hitting notes whereas the E7 felt lower powered. Thanks for your insights. My E17 has been ordered. I can't wait to try out a few things, like using the camera connection kit from Apple to get digital out from my iPhone. I'll even make a project out of getting digital out from my HP TouchPad.

Does that work on the iPhone? I thought it was a work around for the iPad only?

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #138 of 6,777
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #139 of 6,777
Please disagree with headphonia and tell me you prefer pairing the e17 with the e9 rather than without 
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #143 of 6,777
Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #144 of 6,777

Quote:
While I don't recommend it as my end-all/be-all DAP, I've actually been using my iPad 2 for lossless playback through a DAC. Using the USB adapter that comes with the iPad Camera Connection Kit, you can attach USB DACs. I've been using my iPad 2 with lossless audio files through the USB adapter into my Headamp Pico DAC/Amp. The quality is awesome! I really can't tell the difference listening to the same music from either my MacBook Pro with the Pico attached via USB or the iPad 2 connected the same.

I also have one of the older Apple Universal docks that features a combo 3.5mm stereo jack that also doubles as a SPDIF optical connection. Apple advertised these originally to support digital out from the iPods and early iPhone models. It still works with my iPhone 4 too. I'm really looking forward to the purchase of an E17 and will definitely try feeding the optical output from the old dock into the E17.

Cambridge Audio also makes docks for iDevices that feature digital out, but they are also quite expensive - http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-iD100-Digital-Black/dp/B004KSKYUE

Dale

Quote:
Does that work on the iPhone? I thought it was a work around for the iPad only?

Sorry, I misinterpreted AgentXXL's post. It's Apple's Universal Dock that has optical out.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #145 of 6,777

Quote:
Please disagree with headphonia and tell me you prefer pairing the e17 with the e9 rather than without 
frown.gif

I won't say I am disagreeing with Mike's opinion, but I am not in full agreement either. I can see my Mike might prefer E17's internal amp over E9, especially when paired with low impedance headphone. For those who know their E9, you should know there are output resistors on the headphone jack that will color the sound of low impedance headphone (10ohm on 1/4' jack and 33ohm on 1/8' jack, IIRC. These are there to stabilize the opamp output). I am listening to E9 via the 1/4' jack with IEM > 100ohm (ER4S, RE262) , so coloration (from output impedance) is minimum, if any at all.

Now lets talk about the difference first: E17's internal amp has wider soundstage and crispier sparkles. The sonic energy is mainly focus on the upper vocal and up. E9 on the other hand has (a lot) more power. It has excellent control over the bass note which is deep and well bodied while remains tight. It also resolves lower vocal better. The way I like to see them  - E17's internal amp is like a female punk rocker: aggressive, lively, and demands attention. E9 (w/ E17) is more like a tenor: powerful, warm and full of authority. I can't really say one is (very obviously) technically better than the other. They are certain things they are better than the other, but not in everything.  So my recommendation falls back to what they do best in the practical world - if you are using anything below 150ohm, E17 alone is enough. If you are using anything beyond 300ohm, E17+E9 makes better sense. For those in between, I think both can work out well (in different way) depends how you like to take your music.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #146 of 6,777

Quote:
E17P-07.jpg

Something you don't usually find on portable amp, a channels' balance setting. 

Wow, I didn't think they would ever do that. I was thinking out loud about pan/balance in my E7 review in early 2010, and here it is. Kudos to FiiO (but unfortunately I have no need for such a big thing).

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #147 of 6,777

Quote:
Wow, I didn't think they would ever do that. I was thinking out loud about pan/balance in my E7 review in early 2010, and here it is. Kudos to FiiO (but unfortunately I have no need for such a big thing).

I do think it is your request on the E7 that inspires FiiO to put in the channel balance. It is easier to do on the E17 because now it has a dedicated digital volume controller chip that also handles gain, EQ and balance as well.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #150 of 6,777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back