FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #151 of 6,777
Just pre-ordered the E17 instead of buying the E10. Head-Fi is indeed a bad place for my wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #152 of 6,777

Quote:
Just pre-ordered the E17 instead of buying the E10. Head-Fi is indeed a bad place for my wallet. 
biggrin.gif

How much are you paying? If purchased at mp4nation, did you go for fedex or free IEM's?

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #153 of 6,777
The headfonia review combined with the OP's post has me sold.

The question is, order it off mp4nation and get $5 off + a pair of brainwavz or wait for it on amazon and pay ~$20 more but get it MUCH faster + better return policy?

If something goes wrong with it and I have to mail it back to HK, it's not going to be cheap.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #155 of 6,777

Quote:
The headfonia review combined with the OP's post has me sold.

The question is, order it off mp4nation and get $5 off + a pair of brainwavz or wait for it on amazon and pay ~$20 more but get it MUCH faster + better return policy?

If something goes wrong with it and I have to mail it back to HK, it's not going to be cheap.

Ah yes.. a decision I had to face. Sadly I could not withhold my click finger much longer. Technically however, on the faster aspect... is it not undercut by the fact you would have to wait for amazon to get the product? I guess it depends on how long that takes eh. I have had amazon give me a full refund for many returns I simply didn't like... looking at the return slip they produce for me(I chat with them), they have always stated the product is defective in order to provide me the full refund. This is one reason I always go back to buying items from them... customer service.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #156 of 6,777

Quote:

Mp4nation, 141 USD with the L9 and IEMs, no express shipping. I wonder where the E17s will be sent from. China ? That should be good for me because I'm in Australia.

I see.. I would think someone with as much post as you would have a L9 laying around. Why did you chose the L9? I was going to order it when I purchase my FiiO E11(sold) and L3 but read it didn't clip onto the iphone 30 pin dock(missing hinges) and went for the L3.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #158 of 6,777
Does anyone know if it works similar like the E7, where if you plug it to a Mac via USB, you cannot control volume thru the system OS, but rather through the buttons on the device only?

If so, then I will stick with the E10.

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #159 of 6,777

Quote:
Does anyone know if it works similar like the E7, where if you plug it to a Mac via USB, you cannot control volume thru the system OS, but rather through the buttons on the device only?

If so, then I will stick with the E10.

dL

That's how the E17 works, but so does the E10. What am I missing?

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #160 of 6,777

Quote:
That's how the E17 works, but so does the E10. What am I missing?

Maybe I should rephrase.

The reason why I asked is because when I tried the E7 before with the Mac, the volume control on the Mac will change but does not make a difference to the actual volume unless you directly press those buttons on the E7 to change. So I was wondering if the E17 is going to be the same as the E7 in this matter? Because if it is then I will pass. However, if it can act like the E10 where I can change the volume on the Mac myself and it will affect the volume output of the E10, providing me flexibility to change volumes at both the computer and the DAC/AMP, then I'm sold.

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #161 of 6,777
They probably do that because you really want all of your digital volumes to be maxed out anyway and only control volume at one point and only control volume in the analog domain.  It is really best to do it that way and almost all DACs that I've dealt with make you do that.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #162 of 6,777

Quote:
Maybe I should rephrase.

The reason why I asked is because when I tried the E7 before with the Mac, the volume control on the Mac will change but does not make a difference to the actual volume unless you directly press those buttons on the E7 to change. So I was wondering if the E17 is going to be the same as the E7 in this matter? Because if it is then I will pass. However, if it can act like the E10 where I can change the volume on the Mac myself and it will affect the volume output of the E10, providing me flexibility to change volumes at both the computer and the DAC/AMP, then I'm sold.

dL

Sounds like you aren't connecting your Mac directly to the DAC via USB on the E7 the same way as the E10. Because if you were, then you wouldn't be able to control the volume from the Mac's volume controls of the E7 or E10 being that they are both DACs. Are you perhaps using one of the other inputs on the E10 in order to do this?

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #163 of 6,777

Quote:
Sounds like you aren't connecting your Mac directly to the DAC via USB on the E7 the same way as the E10. Because if you were, then you wouldn't be able to control the volume from the Mac's volume controls of the E7 or E10 being that they are both DACs. Are you perhaps using one of the other inputs on the E10 in order to do this?

I tried this yesterday at Headphone Bar. All I did was directly plugged the USB from the E10 to the Macbook Pro and select the sound output as the FIIO E10 and I can still control the volume on the keyboard as well as control the volume with the dial. I tested it with the headphone port out in the front. I do hear that the dial does not control the volume of the 3.5mm jack output at the back.

I did the same thing to the E7 and while I could control the volume on the Mac, it made no change to the actual E7's output.

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #164 of 6,777

Quote:
I tried this yesterday at Headphone Bar. All I did was directly plugged the USB from the E10 to the Macbook Pro and select the sound output as the FIIO E10 and I can still control the volume on the keyboard as well as control the volume with the dial. I tested it with the headphone port out in the front. I do hear that the dial does not control the volume of the 3.5mm jack output at the back.

I did the same thing to the E7 and while I could control the volume on the Mac, it made no change to the actual E7's output.

dL

Interesting... I am not able to do that on the E7 and assumed all USB DACs behaved the same way as this is the intent.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #165 of 6,777

Quote:
Took the fedex shipping! Don't know what to do with those other headphones...

I see.. I could use some IEM's for my iPhone and I saw they come with Comply foam tips and the option for the mic/control version. Being that I wanted to test out comply foam tips, want IEM with a remote for my iPhone, and don't mind a little wait, I went with the B Beta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back