FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #6,391 of 6,777

got another update from Fiio. Seems like some customer service agent are misinformed, but this one confirm that USB charging off still charges a little. 

This is true.
I've done this test previously, where I went from USB to Optical to just the aux input.

Both the optical and aux input has the same time where the battery would run out after 8 hours (a far cry from the 15 hours rated by FiiO). On USB, my E17 ran out after 23 hours believe it or not and this was with continuos usage. If I was using the E17 normally with USB as in a few hours a day, it could last for weeks even.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,392 of 6,777
Question about using the E17 with an iPod or iPhone.  If I used a 30 pin to mini USB cable similar to the one in the link below, would that allow me to use the E17 as a DAC/Amp?  I am under the impression that the only way to use the E17 DAC function is through the mini USB input.  Analog in would bypass the DAC and only use the E17 as an Amp.

http://www.aloaudio.com/sxc-24-30-pin-to-usb-mini-a

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #6,393 of 6,777
Only certified iDevices will bypass the DAC in 30 pin apple products. Your best bet is a 30 pin LOD to go Line In on the E17.

Or purchase a Cypher labs DAC/Amp or similar product to bypass the iPods DAC.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #6,395 of 6,777

Yup, that is what I currently do but that setup uses the iPod/iPhone DAC, right?  Just trying to see if there was any workaround.

Yes it does, the only workaround will cost you $500+...

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #6,396 of 6,777
I have a question about the E17. I noticed that when I use the L7 to output to my speakers with the lineout, but I noticed that sound still comes out of the headphone jack of the E17 at the same time. Is this right to get the best signal from the lineout, does the lineout get affected at all by the gain and EQ settings on the E17?

I had trouble with an L7 that refused to charge my E17, but I just had the L7 replaced and am now ready to start settling in with my E17. I also just discovered what the hold switch is for, had I used it sooner it wouldn't have burned into my screen :3

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6,397 of 6,777
  I have a question about the E17. I noticed that when I use the L7 to output to my speakers with the lineout, but I noticed that sound still comes out of the headphone jack of the E17 at the same time. Is this right to get the best signal from the lineout, does the lineout get affected at all by the gain and EQ settings on the E17?

I had trouble with an L7 that refused to charge my E17, but I just had the L7 replaced and am now ready to start settling in with my E17. I also just discovered what the hold switch is for, had I used it sooner it wouldn't have burned into my screen :3

ya sound comes out of my headphone jack too when i use the L7. When using the L7, make sure to flip the switch on the LO bypass to on so you are no double amping. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,398 of 6,777

It is normal that the line-out and headphone-out both have sound. Line-out is the cleaner signal of the two, but if you want EQ and gain, uses the LO bypass switch to switch between line-out or headphone-out to send to the L7.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #6,399 of 6,777

It is normal that the line-out and headphone-out both have sound. Line-out is the cleaner signal of the two, but if you want EQ and gain, uses the LO bypass switch to switch between line-out or headphone-out to send to the L7.

Ah, I see. So one thing I'm unsure of, I do want the best sound quality for the lineout to my speakers without double amping, should the LO switch be flicked up towards the LCD or away from it?

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #6,400 of 6,777
  Ah, I see. So one thing I'm unsure of, I do want the best sound quality for the lineout to my speakers without double amping, should the LO switch be flicked up towards the LCD or away from it?

You can actually try both ways to see which way you like, you wont be double amping...

All the info is available right here on how to control the LO switch and various hookups.
http://fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/2012/12/20121210151457.pdf
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #6,401 of 6,777
  You can actually try both ways to see which way you like, you wont be double amping...

All the info is available right here on how to control the LO switch and various hookups.
http://fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/2012/12/20121210151457.pdf
beerchug.gif

Thanks for that document. Am I reading the diagram right, when the switch is up towards the LCD it means the lineout bypass is on (meaning pure signal) and when the switch is pointed down away from the LCD it means the lineout bypass is off (meaning poorer quality signal for my speakers)?

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6,402 of 6,777
I don't have an E17 in front of me but in Line Out mode the volume / bass / treble controls do not work. In Headphone mode they do.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #6,404 of 6,777
You don't need an amp for the X5, I picked up an E12 for my X3 and it is not required as the X3 like the X5 has lots of power.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6,405 of 6,777
I don't need an amp for my ATH-AD700s either, they are famously easy to drive and on paper an extra amp is too much for it. But sometimes the extra punch of the gain 6 or even gain 12 setting on the E17 is nice, certain songs or movies. I always try max volume on 0 gain first because the less gain the less distortion apparently, but with some sources sometimes (not often) the extra power the E17 offers is nice.

AD700 is an excellent headphone btw. I spent almost four times as much on top rated powered speakers (Aktimate mini+) and the speakers don't sound anywhere near as good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back