FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #6,376 of 6,777
I've been searching for this, but couldn't find the definitive answer: Does the output jack of the E17 support 4-pin (TRRS) headphone cables (cables with a mic), or do you need a 3-pin (TRS) cable?

My E17 is broken due to accident so I can't answer your question. But a typical (Apple compatible) TRRS plug should work in E17 (as the plug should work almost universally), just that the mic won't work since E17 doesn't have any hardware inside to support mic.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #6,377 of 6,777
hey i was doing some sound quality comparison between optical and USB @ the same bitrate and sample rate, I find that for me, optical improves the bass response, makes my music sound "fuller", and it's a lot louder than USB @ the same volume. For USB, there's less bass, quieter, but the highs/vocals seems to stand out more. You could say that it sounds like it has been EQ'd.

Do you notice a similar difference between USB and optical? I was actually surprised that i could hear differences and i thought it was my new amp for my speaker. 

Can't remember, I use mine at work these days, but have no optical source there...

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #6,378 of 6,777
How would you guys describe the difference between the amp section and anything else between the e17 and e07k? I'm about to upgrade because of the optical in and I'm wondering if id be getting any thing else in return.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #6,379 of 6,777
I've never heard the E07K but aside from the optical in you can use a 24/192 resolution on the optical / coax port.

The screen on the E17 stays on all the time unless you use the hold button, so you will end up with burnin down the road.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #6,380 of 6,777
i'm comparing the battery life between optical and USB. With optical, the E17 dies after ~7 hours and 47 minutes of continuous use. With USB, i'm still testing it and so far it has been 13 hours and there is still 4 bars left. 

Testing it with L7 LOD and USB charging off of course. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #6,381 of 6,777
Nice to know the battery usage with optical on and off. It makes sense that the battery would drain faster with the optical turned on as the transceiver will draw power when it is in use.
:beerchug:

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,382 of 6,777
Nice to know the battery usage with optical on and off. It makes sense that the battery would drain faster with the optical turned on as the transceiver will draw power when it is in use.
beerchug.gif

i emailed Fiio and they said that USB and optical is suppose to have identical battery life. Right now, USB in is approaching 18 hours. Still has 4 bars. 

Thanks for your mail and support to FiiO!

If so, it is weird that the "spdif in" use more battery compare to the "usb in". OK, pls do more comparison between spdif and USB and check whether the E17 is OK. The battery life should about 10 hours or more. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #6,384 of 6,777
maybe you're right. For my next test, i'm going to use optical in, but have USB connected too (with usb charging off) to see if it does "charges" even when USB charging off. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,385 of 6,777
I think you will find the E17 draws quite a bit of power from the USB host even if you turn off the USB charge option... Seems a bit fishy to me, maybe there is a connection...

got another update from Fiio. Seems like some customer service agent are misinformed, but this one confirm that USB charging off still charges a little. 
  Thanks for your mail and support to FiiO!

Kindly inform you that, this result is normal. Your E17 is OK.
If you use E17 work as a DAC via USB port, the power for most of the chips still from USB port but not battery even though USB CHG be set as OFF. USB CHG be set as OFF can stop the battery be charged but can't stop the power supply from the computer.
If you use "spdif in", the power for all of the chips come from only the battery.
So the power consumption of the "spdif in" and the "usb in" is the same, but the power come from different paths.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day! ^_^

Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #6,389 of 6,777
one question, what device was the E17 originally designed for? I ask this because  judging from the accessories (short cables, the rubber band) it comes with, it's meant for mp3 players and ipods. But not all of them support LOD.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #6,390 of 6,777
  one question, what device was the E17 originally designed for? I ask this because  judging from the accessories (short cables, the rubber band) it comes with, it's meant for mp3 players and ipods. But not all of them support LOD.

There isn't any particular device E17 is designed for. Multipurpose is the key feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back