FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #512 of 6,777

Quote:
Fresh out of the box, it's definitely an upgrade, I'll have to see how it grows on me over the next few hours.

what other amps and or DAC's hve u used or tried? :D :p And thank you for posting your impressions. you may not know it but many people are looking at that pic and also itching to know right now :D

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #513 of 6,777
This is my first amp and DAC so a review on sound would leave much to be desired.

It pairs very nicely with my Beyerdynamic DT440, which is quite warm and relaxed on it's own.  The Fiio E17 brings it closer to the ears, with an improvement in the impact of bass and a more frontal sounding presentation, all while keeping the open, airiness of the DT440, which is what I love about it.  

The amp itself, is very light but feels very strong, I don't see it breaking in the near future.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #514 of 6,777
Jan 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #515 of 6,777

Quote:
Am deciding on getting a portable amp, would a pico slim be more worth it then the e17? I know that both are in a totally different price range, am just hoping for insights if the extra amount of cash is worth it for the difference in SQ.

I tried the Pico slim quite some time ago (can't remember it the clearly anymore). To me, that much money should be better spend on full size portable (which will give you better return), so I get the StepDance instead and I never regret about my decision.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #517 of 6,777
Will the E17 have any effect on the batt life of the portable if used as an amp? Quite afraid if it drains the battery..

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #518 of 6,777

Quote:
Will the E17 have any effect on the batt life of the portable if used as an amp? Quite afraid if it drains the battery..

will using the E17 as an amp have an effect on battery life? Of course it will. I guess using the DAC with a laptop will use even more power as you are using the USB reciever or the SPDIF receiver along with the WM8740 DAC and then the two op amps also. but since u are using it with laptop battery life isn't much of an issue. using E17 as an amp will of course drain battery. you can not use a battery powered device and hope it doesn't use any power...if that is what you are asking

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #519 of 6,777

Quote:
Does anyone know what it means when you switch the input to USB and the text "LOCK" appears momentarily on the screen?

It means it has detected an USB connection and 'lock' into the signal. You can equal it to 'USB Enable'.

Quote:

Purely used as an amp (AUX-in) or SPDIF DAC (Opt-in and Cox-in), E17 won't drain power from the source. It will drain power as USB DAC (USB-in) from your PC, but you can stop it from doing so by disable the USB charging in menu.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #520 of 6,777
Just pre-ordered the E17 on the weekend.  Supplier was suppose to get then on the 23rd but I haven't seen any updates.  I have the E10 and use it with Senn HD-25's & v-Moda M-80's but find the volume control too finicky.  I'm hoping that the digital volume will provide a greater range (like the E7).
From what I've read, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.  Looking forward to getting it in.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #525 of 6,777

Quote:
Well tell them to get it on Amazon!  I have some credit to use!

i wanted to wait for amazon too but i couldn't anymore. Micca's deal was not only good but better than MP4 nations. It gives you a free FiiO shirt. A free 3Ft Toslink cable with mini adapter end. an extra mini adapter and then reduced prices on headphones, LOD's, and amps of which i got the PL11's for $10. the PL11's are similar to the Sennheiser CX300II's but since the Sennheiser's are twice as much, the reviews said they liked the PL11's if you want a quick summary. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back