FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #377 of 6,777

Quote:
Question about the E17. What are the advantages to buying a line out cable like the L1 for use with an iPhone, compared to using the Aux port to connect the iPhone and AMP

From a post I just wrote out half an hour ago. don't get the L1. that is obsolete. Only the L3 or L9 which uses HPC22W wire. The L9 is bought more when in use with just an amp since it is more compact

An LOD is an Line Out Dock. These generally mean a thing (usually a cable of sorts) that allows you to bypass a specific chip in a device. It is mainly used for ipod LOD's. Which means it is a cable that looks like this. (There are sony walkman LOD's too, not popular though) LOD generally means the cable you see below and is being used with an ipod. usually when headfiers talk of the ability to bypass a chip (amp usually) with a cable or port, they just say Line out. 

and it's purpose is to bypass the ipod's internal amplifier, it's circuits and heapdhone jack. Let me go back a bit first and explain. It is the amp, circuits, and heapdhone jack that are causing the majroity of the noticeable sound you are hearing. Most head fier's don't like it and it is known to be low quality. The LOD thus plugs into your ipod thorugh the botto of ur pod and thus it will bypass parts of your ipod that sound bad leaving you straight digitaly decoded to analogy data straight fromt the DAC. And as you might now know. since it bypased the amp and everything. you need something external that does the same thing? Yes it does. that's where these amps come in. the 3.5mm male end u see in the pic above plugs into a amp or dac or both's input side and that's it. you ipod feeds the music into the amp throught he LOD.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #378 of 6,777
UPDATE: This afternoon at work I let it charge for several hours (even though it was probably 75% charged already) and when I got home I tested the aux input for the first time and it worked.  Then I hooked it up to a desktop I didn't try it with last night and it worked immediately.  Then I tried it with the laptop that I couldn't get it to work with last night and it worked.  I don't know what happened but I am not going to complain.  This is my first headphone DAC/AMP so I don't have anything to compare it with but to my ears it sounds nice.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #379 of 6,777

Quote:
UPDATE: This afternoon at work I let it charge for several hours (even though it was probably 75% charged already) and when I got home I tested the aux input for the first time and it worked.  Then I hooked it up to a desktop I didn't try it with last night and it worked immediately.  Then I tried it with the laptop that I couldn't get it to work with last night and it worked.  I don't know what happened but I am not going to complain.  This is my first headphone DAC/AMP so I don't have anything to compare it with but to my ears it sounds nice.  

Glad you liked it :) Anything you are hearing differnt from ur standard laptop or ipod(or dap) that you would like to post a short impression on?

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #380 of 6,777

Quote:

How much audible difference does it make? This would be my first Amp too

@bowei006 , Thanks for the informative reply! Will definately get either the L3 or L9. Thanks for the help

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #381 of 6,777

Quote:
How much audible difference does it make? This would be my first Amp too

@bowei006 , Thanks for the informative reply! Will definately get either the L3 or L9. Thanks for the help

it makes a good one. what the LOD does is it removes dual amping and all those bad circuits. This effecitvley reduces noise, distortion, hiss and improves clarity, depth, etc. Every head-fi'er uses an LOD with their ipod. It's cheap too. Any other questions?

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #382 of 6,777
Just got mine today...tested it with e9 and K702's and it sounded pretty damn good. Connected to my cowon s9 with MTPC and it also sounded better than my PA2V2.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #383 of 6,777

Quote:
Just got mine today...tested it with e9 and K702's and it sounded pretty damn good. Connected to my cowon s9 with MTPC and it also sounded better than my PA2V2.

Great to know it is better than the PA2V2 which many compare to the E11 :) how much better? noticeably better? How's the bass impact/responce different forom the this than the PA2V2

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #384 of 6,777

Quote:
Great to know it is better than the PA2V2 which many compare to the E11 :) how much better? noticeably better? How's the bass impact/responce different forom the this than the PA2V2

Regarding that, the PA2V2 only has one setting and that's "ON" where as the E17 has so many different options and 3 different gains...i guess it all boils down to your personal choice of options. Without a doubt i definitely would choose the e17 although it's 2-3 times more costly than the PA2V2.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #385 of 6,777

Quote:
Regarding that, the PA2V2 only has one setting and that's "ON" where as the E17 has so many different options and 3 different gains...i guess it all boils down to your personal choice of options. Without a doubt i definitely would choose the e17 although it's 2-3 times more costly than the PA2V2.

I don't think the PA2V2 supports SPDIF, looks as sexy, has USB, a wolfson WM8740, 2 amplifiers and an OLED screen.

thanks for your short impression :) 

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #387 of 6,777
Those that bought from us, MP4 Nation and were on preorder 1 and did not get a ship notification then unfortunately your order was not fulfilled. Our support has contacted all preorder 1 buyers whose orders did not ship, if you have not got our support email then check your spam box, we will have sent to your email address on your order. If you still can't find our email then open a new ticket at http://www.mp4nation.net/support and we will help you out.

I am very sorry we could not get every ones order out.

Also FYI if you are having issues using the E17 then do the following first:

1. Disconnect from your PC (if connected).
2. Hold the power button for about 5 seconds, it should turn on
3. Use any mp3 player with the aux in and your choice of earphone with the HO, confirm the sound is working.
4. Disconnect your player and connect to your PC, your PC should detect the E17 as a USB sound card
5. Goto your audio properties and make sure the E17 is selected as the audio output method
6. If you already had any audio apps (like windows media player) open when you connected the E17, exit the program and restart it (make sure step 5 has already been done before starting the app again).
7. Sweet audio should be pumping through the E17 :)

We had a few people already think they had DOA E17 as nothing would happen when they connected the E17 to their PC, but doing the above method resolved the issue and it started to work as a DAC when connected to a PC.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #388 of 6,777

Quote:
I don't think the PA2V2 supports SPDIF, looks as sexy, has USB, a wolfson WM8740, 2 amplifiers and an OLED screen.

thanks for your short impression :) 

Having own both, I can say that PA2V2 isn't much of a competition for E17, even on SQ alone.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #390 of 6,777

Quote:
How is it final review coming along ClieOS? 

I am writing another review at the same time, but it should be up in the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back