FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,111 of 2,388
Hey guys,

Just letting you know that we got more E12DIY's on the way which should be arriving this week.

Billy

edit: typos

Hey billymav,

What would be your cost including shipping to the UK please?

May 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,114 of 2,388
may i ask whats a good combo with the muses01? :)

I would say that that's different for everyone.

Depends on your music, your headphone, and your sound preferences.

May 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,116 of 2,388
My E12DIY has arrived today. I use it with fiio X5 and AKG K3003i. The headphones have a very low impedance (8 ohms) so that I've not tried the buffer LMH6321 because they are specially for HPs with high impedance.

My favorite combination is LME49600 + AD8620.
I hear a very clear room sound with dark and powerfull basses, a believable voice reproduction. Compared to the normal E12 is difference bigger then the price difference. Much more better!

With my other headphones (Audeze LCD-2.2) I found a second favorite combination.
LMH6321 + OPA604 sounds not so pretty like my first favorite but good.

Next step: Purchase MUSE02 - I read enough positive critics about that. In which buffer combination it works well? 

May 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,118 of 2,388
A new question: Has anyone experience with changing the capacitors C6 and C7. What makes it with the sound?

May 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,120 of 2,388
  A new question: Has anyone experience with changing the capacitors C6 and C7. What makes it with the sound?

Haven't really wrote much about it, but some of us did change the caps. Below is mine, with a swappable socket. If you are changing from the big red Wima to the included Tonerex (or most electrolytic on that matter), I will say the first thing to notice is probably the smoothness. Wima and most film caps tend to sound sharper and more edgier. I am using Silmic II most of the time - as my opamp + buffer choice usually is aiming toward transparency, I think the Silmic II balances it back slightly with its more musical (yet still mostly neutral) and relaxing sound.

Finally:

capmod1.jpg

SIP socket soldered in.

capmod2.jpg

I have saved the stock Wima so they can be reused if wanted.

capmod3.jpg

Top row: Wima and Vishay PP caps, 10nF and 22nF respectively, way too small a capacitance to be used by themselves.
2nd row: BlackGate NX Hi-Q 2.2uF, AVX OxiCap 100uF
3rd row: Stock replacement Elna Tonerex 10uF, Elna Silmic II 22uF, stock Wima Polyester 2.2uF
In the socket: AVX OxiCap 100uF bypassed with Vishay PP 22nF.

p/s: the oriignal plan to use Silmic II bypassed by PP doesn't work as the space isn't enough. My spared Nichicon MUSE ES won't fit so I didn't bother. Might need to get some smaller capacitance in the future but I am pretty happy as it is.

May 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,121 of 2,388
May 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,123 of 2,388

Haven't really wrote much about it, but some of us did change the caps. Below is mine, with a swappable socket. If you are changing from the big red Wima to the included Tonerex (or most electrolytic on that matter), I will say the first thing to notice is probably the smoothness. Wima and most film caps tend to sound sharper and more edgier. I am using Silmic II most of the time - as my opamp + buffer choice usually is aiming toward transparency, I think the Silmic II balances it back slightly with its more musical (yet still mostly neutral) and relaxing sound.

How would you compare the stock Wimas to the stock replacement Elna Tonerex?

May 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,124 of 2,388
  thanks clieOS, btw can u advice me if i were to get a muses01 in akizuki, what other opamps are recommended to try around or pair with it :) as i wanna maximum the postal hehe

Ha, I did the same and ordered a few JRC opamp / buffer at the same time as some of them are hard to find outside of Japan.

Here are a few that I think are worth trying: MUSES8920, MUSES8820, NJM5532, and LME49720.
Other that are okay to try are: NJM2114, NJM4580, NJM4558, NJM4556, LM4562, LME49860.

Last note: some of the opmap are single channel and some are SOIC. If you want to avoid soldering, get dual channel DIP as much as you can. The above listed should be available in dual DIP IIRC.

How would you compare the stock Wimas to the stock replacement Elna Tonerex?

The stock Wima sounds like most film caps I tried, clean, sharp, dry, good sparkle and micro-detail but also a bit grainy in the treble. Tonerex on the other hand is richer, smoother, with better depth (film caps tend to sound flat). You lost a bit of the sparkle and sharpness, but in exchange the presentation is more musical. The difference between Tonerex and Simlic II actually isn't very big. They are similar in presentation, but Silmic II has a wider overall image and space. So in a way Tonerex can be considered a step-down of Silmic II.

May 13, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,125 of 2,388
Quote:

Ha, I did the same and ordered a few JRC opamp / buffer at the same time as some of them are hard to find outside of Japan.

Here are a few that I think are worth trying: MUSES8920, MUSES8820, NJM5532, and LME49720.
Other that are okay to try are: NJM2114, NJM4580, NJM4558, NJM4556, LM4562, LME49860.

Last note: some of the opmap are single channel and some are SOIC. If you want to avoid soldering, get dual channel DIP as much as you can. The above listed should be available in dual DIP IIRC.

The stock Wima sounds like most film caps I tried, clean, sharp, dry, good sparkle and micro-detail but also a bit grainy in the treble. Tonerex on the other hand is richer, smoother, with better depth (film caps tend to sound flat). You lost a bit of the sparkle and sharpness, but in exchange the presentation is more musical. The difference between Tonerex and Simlic II actually isn't very big. They are similar in presentation, but Silmic II has a wider overall image and space. So in a way Tonerex can be considered a step-down of Silmic II.

Thx for the info about the Silmic II. I'll try it.

When I use the MUSES01 or the MUSES02 is there any experience about the best buffer combination? Should I buy something to optimize it?

I have to pay 20 € transport costs and if neccessary I would place a order with the MUSES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back