FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #1,126 of 2,388
ok disclaimer im new to this ampifier business and..... im super confused but willing to learn lol so i got my e12DIY recently not yet opened before and...what goes where which is an opamp and which is a "buffer"? lol dont flame me really dunno these stuff haha

May 13, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,127 of 2,388
ok disclaimer im new to this ampifier business and..... im super confused but willing to learn lol so i got my e12DIY recently not yet opened before and...
what goes where which is an opamp and which is a "buffer"? lol dont flame me really dunno these stuff haha

I must urge you to look at the manual that came with the player, and look at the markings on the chips.

May 13, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #1,128 of 2,388
i dont mean to sound retard but i fail to understand the instructions... not circuitory inclined :/ i can do taxes lol!

nevermind i think i figured it out after staring at it for 10mins lol! nonetheless if anyone wannts toi clarify for me ill be glad to listen haha

May 13, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,129 of 2,388
  i dont mean to sound retard but i fail to understand the instructions... not circuitory inclined :/ i can do taxes lol!

Each chip is labelled (you might need a bright light source to read it clearly) and the manual clearly states which are op amps and which are buffers. Specifically, the BUF634, LME... and LMH... are all buffers and go in the slot further from the input/output sockets. The others are op amps and go in the slot closest to the input/output sockets.

May 13, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #1,130 of 2,388
ahh okie thanks for clearing up with me! :)) thanks alot appreciate it lol overly prudent about this kinda stuff :/

other question is the buffers are able to use other chips right? but have to solder them yourself? :xf_eek:

May 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #1,131 of 2,388
  ahh okie thanks for clearing up with me! :)) thanks alot appreciate it lol overly prudent about this kinda stuff :/

other question is the buffers are able to use other chips right? but have to solder them yourself? :xf_eek:

Correct for both op amps and for buffers. There are a variety of options you can use in both, but unless they're DIP-8 style and fit in your case (or you grind the case down slightly) then you'll need to solder them to the adapters provided (see underside of the foam in the tin that came with the E12DIY)

May 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,133 of 2,388
  Quote:
Thx for the info about the Silmic II. I'll try it.

When I use the MUSES01 or the MUSES02 is there any experience about the best buffer combination? Should I buy something to optimize it?

I have to pay 20 € transport costs and if neccessary I would place a order with the MUSES.

Besides the three stock buffer, I really haven't find that many buffer that are suitable for E12DIY - just these two: LT1010 and HA-5002. You can skip the LT1010. It is good sounding buffer, but doesn't sound any better than the stock buffer. So you won't miss anything by not trying it. HA-5002 on the other hand is well worth a try. It is the cleanest sounding buffer I ever heard, and a great choice if you are looking for the ultimate transparency. It is however a bit tricky to use as you need to mount it on the special BrownDog adapter.

May 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,134 of 2,388

Besides the three stock buffer, I really haven't find that many buffer that are suitable for E12DIY - just these two: LT1010 and HA-5002. You can skip the LT1010. It is good sounding buffer, but doesn't sound any better than the stock buffer. So you won't miss anything by not trying it. HA-5002 on the other hand is well worth a try. It is the cleanest sounding buffer I ever heard, and a great choice if you are looking for the ultimate transparency. It is however a bit tricky to use as you need to mount it on the special BrownDog adapter.

I've ordered the brown dog adapter and HA-5002 (SOIC version which is listed as HA9P5002) and am looking forward to trying it soon.

May 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,135 of 2,388

I've ordered the brown dog adapter and HA-5002 (SOIC version which is listed as HA9P5002) and am looking forward to trying it soon.

you must have got mad soldering skills.

i think i need a new soldering iron for this stuff :X

May 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,136 of 2,388
  you must have got mad soldering skills.

i think i need a new soldering iron for this stuff :X

No. I'm just careful
smily_headphones1.gif
and yes, the right soldering iron makes a big difference. I use a temperature controlled soldering station - nothing fancy (actually quite cheap), but being able to keep the iron at the right temperature does help.

May 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,137 of 2,388

Keep note that you have to solder it on the bottom side of the adapter and seal the top with some insulation tape.

May 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #1,139 of 2,388

Thanks for the heads up. Is that because the buffer socket sits higher than the op amp socket?

No, it is because the HA-5002 adapter is designed to mount two HA-5002 (stacking for double the output), one on the top and another on the bottom. But the space in E12DIY can only accommodate the bottom one. If you solder the HA-5002 on the top, you will never be able to close the case up.

Here is how the HA-5002 + adapter should look like. Also, forgot to mention that you need to trim off just 1mm or so from every pins. See the first picture for reference.

HA5002-3.jpg

HA5002-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back