FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Nov 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,891 of 2,388
Hi guys, just got my e12diy recently and the more I read the more I'm wondering... This "blank PCB" that is supposed to be provided, is it a set of blank PCB adapters just like the given plug and play ones but without chips on it, or is it simply referring to the empty opamp/buffer sockets on the amp's main PCB itself?

From the posts here and manual I interpret it as the former, but my package did not come with any blank adapters. Same goes for my friend's unit. Both of our s/n are early 200s.

Inside the metal box that has all the opamp and buffer, the blank PCB are sitting underneath the foam. Pry the foam out and you'll see them.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,893 of 2,388
I'm keen to try muses01. Have randomly read through this long thread and what I gathered is that by installing muses the casing will be blocked and I have to sand off a trench in order to accomodate the height. Am I right?

Also, can I verify the steps needed, cos I see quite a handful of comments about adapters and soldering so wanna confirm all the stuff I need... When I order the muses from a dealer, it will come with the chip + socket (saw it in the photos in page 30+)? What's next? Do I plug the chip into the socket and then the whole thing into the amp's socket, or direct plug the chip into amp's socket?

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,894 of 2,388
I'm keen to try muses01. Have randomly read through this long thread and what I gathered is that by installing muses the casing will be blocked and I have to sand off a trench in order to accomodate the height. Am I right?

Also, can I verify the steps needed, cos I see quite a handful of comments about adapters and soldering so wanna confirm all the stuff I need... When I order the muses from a dealer, it will come with the chip + socket (saw it in the photos in page 30+)? What's next? Do I plug the chip into the socket and then the whole thing into the amp's socket, or direct plug the chip into amp's socket?

Chip directly into the amp's socket.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #1,896 of 2,388
  I thought battery size is the same in all 3 versions (standard E12, DIY and E12A), only with different capacity.
Has anyone opened E12A and checked actual size of the battery?

Battery of the same physical size and chemistry but different vastly in capacity will violate law of physics.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,898 of 2,388
  I don't know much about this stuff, but aren't there aftermarket batteries for many portable devices with higher capacity compared to stock batteries while being the same in size?

...and snake oil cures cancer, so said the seller.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,900 of 2,388

Yes. You need to sand / grind some extra space. Exactly how much seems to vary slightly

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,901 of 2,388
I don't know much about this stuff, but aren't there aftermarket batteries for many portable devices with higher capacity compared to stock batteries while being the same in size?

You could always wait for graphene batteries to become a thing...

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,905 of 2,388
NJM5532 purchased this opamp feom mouser for $1.50. This seems inexpensive. Is this the correct price?

It is cheap because 1) it was never an expensive opamp to begin with,  2) it is a very old opamp that has been widely used in the past, but now it has dropped out of fashion in the audio world and 3) the circuit design has been adopted by several companies so there are quite a few of generic version out there (I have all of them, and NJM is the best sounding of them all). As it is not a proprietary design, the price becomes much cheaper.

Don't get fooled by the cheap price though, 5532 variants are still excellent for audio. That's a reason why it is used in O2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back