FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,906 of 2,388
I was told this would give me a clean sound. My muse1 seems a little vailed. Like the high piano notes are not as sharp as the x5 alone

my initial combo (HA 5002 and Muses 02) sounded muddy/veiled with high impedance headphones (300 ohm HD600), but swapping it to the LM49600 made it really sound excellent - Which is annoying because now I end up swapping opamp and buffer when I choose to use IEM's over the HD600 (which is rare thankfully)

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,907 of 2,388
NJM5532 purchased this opamp feom mouser for $1.50. This seems inexpensive. Is this the correct price?

For the price, it's a no brainer to try it out.

Whether you'll love it is another matter. It is a good sounding op amp, and I think some folks love it.

When I tried it, I thought it was great for a while. But after extended listening, I felt it was a bit harmonically underdeveloped for my taste. While it had a very clean, fast, open sound, I preferred the MUSES and OPA627/OPA827 for the richer presentation.

But don't let me dissuade you. At the asking price, you almost definitely should try them and decide for yourself.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,908 of 2,388
I am interested in this, however use never done anything like this. Are there specific places I can look for buf and op amp chips that fit this device?is the original equipment that comes with it enough? Is it time consuming to swap the parts out? Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,910 of 2,388
I am interested in this, however use never done anything like this. Are there specific places I can look for buf and op amp chips that fit this device?is the original equipment that comes with it enough? Is it time consuming to swap the parts out? Thanks for any info anyone can share.

If you look back over this thread, you'll fing ClieOS and a few others have compiled a couple lists of their favorite Opamps and buffers. This can be a shopping list of sorts to get you going after you try the options Fiio provides in the box.

Once you decide to try more, you can either buy small opamps to solder onto Fiio's adapters or you can purchase dip8 opamps which require some filing of the inner case to fit. Again, ClieOS has a pictorial for the filing procedure in this thread. I filed mine down. It took a half hour or so to get it right.

Once you've got the case filed down and some dip8 opamps in hand, it's as easy as removing two screws from the case and gently removing the old opamp and reversing the procedure. Piece of cake!

And every once in awhile, someone on the thread like ClieOS will offer to solder a batch of opamps to adapters and ship them to fellow headfi-ers at cost. Very nice gift to the community!

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,919 of 2,388
For me I have settled on the Muse 02 op amp, LM4900 buffer in high bandwidth mode with 220 ohm resistors only raising the band width ever so slightly over the low bandwidth mode and Black Gates Nx HiQ 47uF 6.3V capacitors running my Sennheiser HD650's, it took over 300 hrs to burn in the capacitors but I'm done, this combo is the one for me. In the photo I have the the HA 5002's in which is my second favorite buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back